VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Idea Replacement laptop

• pioneer
  • pioneer's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5
  • Thank you received: 34

Replacement laptop was created by pioneer

Posted 24 Jan 2018 02:39 #1
I am looking to possibly replacing my laptop. Any recommendations in here ? Will be used for Vegas pro 15 and the Serif affinity range mainly long with using the internet, Have looked at a 17inch HP envy with an I7-7500U processor along with a NVidia 940Mx, 8 gig of ram 1TB HDD and 128 GB SSD £1099 UKP cheers john
Please be aware that NSA/GCHQ are probably admiring my comments and sent images.
Last Edit:06 Feb 2018 08:53 by pioneer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Replacement laptop

Posted 24 Jan 2018 10:52 #2
Post links to any models you are considering and then we can report back.

p.s
I have moved this post into the computer hardware sub-forum.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:24 Jan 2018 10:53 by DoctorZen

Replied by robbif on topic Replacement laptop

Posted 05 Aug 2018 12:07 #3
A long time ago I created a topic in "the other place" on recommended laptops ...

www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/advice-on-laptop-for-video-editing-looking-to-the-future--106625/

...and am now back on the subject more serious than before.

My old bloated laptop, IBM/Lenovo T60 (Windoze 7 Ultimate, 32-bit, 4GB, Core 2 1.83GHz),
down the a default basic video chip, struggles along with VMS 11.

The good news: It's not my primary machine (Win7 Ult 64-bit, 8GB i7-2600 3.4 GHz, EVGA GEForce GTX560Ti) which is working OK with VMS 15.

Currently I edit 1080i AVCHD from Canons G10 and G30 as well as 1080p MP4 from GoPro4-Silver. Again dreaming, I might eventually go for 4K

I'm in the market for someting with a cap under $2K US.

In the Magix topic the Dell XPS 15 9560 i7 16GB 512GB PCIe SSD UHD/4K Touch was recommended.

I found what I think is the best current version, and using that as a starting reference...

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACYB78U4993&cm_re=dell_xps15%5d-_-9SIACYB78U4993-_-Product#close

Any thoughts and other recommendations?

How will it compare, rendering performance-wise to my
main tower, which is limited in its GPU/motherboard combination?

Naive (?) questions: What's most critical, CPU speed, GPU speed, HD/SSD speed, etc.?

Thanks!!
by robbif

Replied by Robbie on topic Replacement laptop

Posted 05 Aug 2018 22:40 #4
Hi Robbif
Undoubtedly if you keep looking and asking you’ll find a spread of opinions as to which is THE best laptop for video work. Hard to be definitive as technology evolves , new products are released and prices change faster than we can respond to the question! That being said … I don’t think you could go wrong with the Dell option, and the Newegg link you posted does look like a good deal (Dell is moving to 8th gen CPUs so 7th gen with the 4k monitor at that price looks pretty enticing – and may not last - and will definitely be an improvement on your current rigs). A 1TB SSD might be a better option if you can find one at the right price but not a deal breaker - depending on how many active projects you want to have on the go at the same time. Over the past couple of years the Dell XPS’s have rated highly in many reputable website’s recommendations for best laptops for video editing.
My employer provides my laptops (so I don't get a choice :-( ) but my daughter has had 3 Dell’s over the last 12 years – the latest being an XPS 15 she bought about 7 months ago. All are still working fine with the old one's in the hands of relative's and only replaced to keep up with software requirements (mainly SIMS … sigh). Support - in Aus at least - although rarely called on has been very good.
... as always though - your mileage and personal requirements may vary
cheers, Robbie
Last Edit:05 Aug 2018 22:46 by Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Replacement laptop

Posted 05 Aug 2018 23:40 #5
Hi Robbif,

I agree with Robbie concerning how Dell XPS machines have come a long way from what they were, especially for "heavier" productivity loads. Like Robbie, when I was employed by a School District, we preferred HP laptops, so I tended to go with them on the personal side as well (Pavilion version).
What is also true, per Robbie, is the constant change in technology, as well as pricing.

1. While the laptop in your link shows some nice hardware, mind the actual "Size". It seems a bit on the "slimmer" side, so when things start to "Ramp-Up" due to CPU/GPU processing, you may see a dramatic decline in performance since the hardware is "throttling" due to heat (biggest problem with electronics). It is tough to find a laptop nowadays, at a decent price, that is larger than the current trend for these "slimmer" devices. Just look at all the complaints Apple got with their new "i9-processor" based Mac Book Pro.

2. I agree with Robbie as well to check Dell's website concerning processor availability/type. Intel has released the newer "8th Gen", and will shortly be releasing an update to that architecture as well, though not sure if it will include laptop/notebooks/etc. Additionally, look at pricing to either increase the current 512 GB PCI-e drive to a 1 TB, or make sure you have the capability to add a 1 TB SSD. Keep the source away from the OS drive (at least with what you said currently for projects, an SSD would be able to easily handle both source and rendering).

3. Not sure how "good" your eyes are, but 4K on a 15.6 inch screen seems like it will really make the icons/text/etc. seem really small. My suggestion would be to go to a store (Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot/Max, Wal-Mart, Frye's, etc.), and see if they have a laptop with a similar screen. Only you can decide from that viewing on whether it will either "Help or Hinder" your productivity.

4. If you don't want to move up to a higher capacity OS drive, and want to save money on CPU or GPU upgrade, and since you did mention the possibility of eventually doing 4K work, go with 32 GB of RAM (the 2400 speed is fine).

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan

***Now, if only I can save up enough to get one of those awesome HP Workstations, or custom built Eurocom behemoths!***
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 06 Aug 2018 03:49 #6

Robbie wrote: Hi Robbif
Undoubtedly if you keep looking and asking you’ll find a spread of opinions as to which is THE best laptop for video work. Hard to be definitive as technology evolves , new products are released and prices change faster than we can respond to the question!

>Understood

That being said … I don’t think you could go wrong with the Dell option, and the Newegg link you posted does look like a good deal (Dell is moving to 8th gen CPUs so 7th gen with the 4k monitor at that price looks pretty enticing – and may not last - and will definitely be an improvement on your current rigs). A 1TB SSD might be a better option if you can find one at the right price but not a deal breaker - depending on how many active projects you want to have on the go at the same time.

> I already assumed with the SSD prices dropping, I'll buy one, clone the factory drive and keep it as a backup.

Over the past couple of years the Dell XPS’s have rated highly in many reputable website’s recommendations for best laptops for video editing.
My employer provides my laptops (so I don't get a choice :-( ) but my daughter has had 3 Dell’s over the last 12 years – the latest being an XPS 15 she bought about 7 months ago. All are still working fine with the old one's in the hands of relative's and only replaced to keep up with software requirements (mainly SIMS … sigh). Support - in Aus at least - although rarely called on has been very good.
... as always though - your mileage and personal requirements may vary
cheers, Robbie

> A big help. Thanks! Excellent username, by the way!
by robbif

Posted 06 Aug 2018 04:11 #7

mmcswnavy24 wrote: Hi Robbif,

> Hi again Chief,
> You were very helpful over on the Magix forum when I was looking for a video card upgrade for my
> main tower. Most conclusions were I'd get a minimal increase in performance with my older mobo.
> Since to tower is OK but the laptop and its performance is moribund, my priority has switched.

I agree with Robbie concerning how Dell XPS machines have come a long way from what they were, especially for "heavier" productivity loads. Like Robbie, when I was employed by a School District, we preferred HP laptops, so I tended to go with them on the personal side as well (Pavilion version).

> When I returned to IBM Research as a camop contractor for 4-camera shoots in the auditorium, I saw
> everyone was issued Macbooks!

What is also true, per Robbie, is the constant change in technology, as well as pricing.

1. While the laptop in your link shows some nice hardware, mind the actual "Size". It seems a bit on the "slimmer" side, so when things start to "Ramp-Up" due to CPU/GPU processing, you may see a dramatic decline in performance since the hardware is "throttling" due to heat (biggest problem with electronics). It is tough to find a laptop nowadays, at a decent price, that is larger than the current trend for these "slimmer" devices. Just look at all the complaints Apple got with their new "i9-processor" based Mac Book Pro.

> Understood. Maybe a risk I'm willing to take...but will cogitate some more.

2. I agree with Robbie as well to check Dell's website concerning processor availability/type. Intel has released the newer "8th Gen", and will shortly be releasing an update to that architecture as well, though not sure if it will include laptop/notebooks/etc. Additionally, look at pricing to either increase the current 512 GB PCI-e drive to a 1 TB, or make sure you have the capability to add a 1 TB SSD. Keep the source away from the OS drive (at least with what you said currently for projects, an SSD would be able to easily handle both source and rendering).

> As I told Robbie previously, with SSD prices dropping and this offering locked on the PCI-e drive, I'll buy > a 1TB drive, clone the factory drive and use the original as a backup.

3. Not sure how "good" your eyes are, but 4K on a 15.6 inch screen seems like it will really make the icons/text/etc. seem really small. My suggestion would be to go to a store (Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot/Max, Wal-Mart, Frye's, etc.), and see if they have a laptop with a similar screen. Only you can decide from that viewing on whether it will either "Help or Hinder" your productivity.

> I'm lucky that earlier this week I saw one of the lesser XPS15s at BestBuy with the UHD display and it's
> just fine. If it's not a performance hindering factor I would have no problem. I read one review that
> raved about it.

4. If you don't want to move up to a higher capacity OS drive, and want to save money on CPU or GPU upgrade, and since you did mention the possibility of eventually doing 4K work, go with 32 GB of RAM (the 2400 speed is fine).

> I'm assuming, based on my price cap, the laptop will not be my primary machine, but more than
> adequate "in a bind". Hopefully, if in the future I need to edit 4K - and that would entail a
> significant financial bottleneck - having to upgrade my camcorders!
> My current tower and VMS15 will supposedly handle 4K, but at what cost in time?
> So that future is pretty foggy right now.

Hope this helps.

> Incredibly. So thanks again!
> I wish I had the skils to return the favor some day!
> Cheers, Fred

Respectfully,

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan

***Now, if only I can save up enough to get one of those awesome HP Workstations, or custom built Eurocom behemoths!***

> Ahh, always the dreams, eh?

Last Edit:06 Aug 2018 04:14 by robbif

Posted 09 Aug 2018 00:58 #8
Well Guys,

Thanks to your input added to my thoughts, yesterday I bought the XPS 15 9560 from Newegg (free shipping, no tax).

I'll report back after the Windoze 10 learning curve dust settles. (Maybe before!)

My full rationale...
- My tower/560 Ti is adequate and OK.
- As advised (including you, Chief) the gains in upgrading the 560 would be small
with my motherboard.
- My old Lenovo T60 is not OK, slow, bloated, defective HD video chip.
- The Dell will not be my main video editor.
- So I needed a new laptop anyway.
- So at a minimum I'll end up with a real nice general laptop....and I think/hope a lot more.

Thanks again!

"Film at 11."
by robbif
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.911 seconds