VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Video Card with Display port

Video Card with Display port was created by electrohead

Posted 17 Jul 2018 08:47 #1
Any thoughts on a reasonably priced video card for Vegas Pro 15? I just upgraded my monitor to a 4K 28-inch model, and the mouse seems to be "jumpy". Changing mouse settings doesn't help, changing HDMI cables and ports is not helping. Further research shows that a Display Port might be the way to go. But my current PC doesn't have it.

So what video card should I consider that has a GPU and a Display Port? FYI - I am using Main Concept codec. I mention this because I read that if I use Megix codecs, then I might need a video card with dedicated GPU. Regardless, my encoding is not a bottleneck for me, but if I was to buy a card that works better with my monitor, then I might as well get one that will help the Main Concept codec do it's thing.

Thank you in advance.
Last Edit:17 Jul 2018 11:19 by electrohead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Video Card with Display port

Posted 17 Jul 2018 11:19 #2
Hi Electrohead

I have moved your new message into the Computer Hardware sub-forum.

Make sure to download and install the latest build version for Vegas Pro 15.
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-15-update-6-build-384--112150/

Vegas Pro 15 now supports all modern Nvidia and AMD Radeon graphics cards.
If you buy an Nvidia GPU, you will have access to NVENC encoding.
If you buy an AMD Radeon GPU, you will have access to VCE.

The website TechGage.com, has posted a detailed GPU performance test and results for Magix AVC encoding using Vegas Pro 15.
Scroll down to the bottom and you will find their test results for different video cards.
techgage.com/article/performance-testing-redshift-blender-magix-vegas/

It's up to you which GPU brand you decide to get.
Both AMD and Nvidia work well in Vegas Pro 15 now.
If you are on a tight budget, you will get more bang for your buck with an AMD GPU.
If money is no object, an Nvidia GTX 1000 series will work well in Vegas and other programs.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by electrohead on topic Video Card with Display port

Posted 17 Jul 2018 12:00 #3
Thank you for your answer, but as my posts states - I am NOT using Magix AVC. I'm sticking with Main Concept codec. So I'm not sure the link with test results that you provided would apply. :)

Posted 17 Jul 2018 12:27 #4

electrohead wrote: Thank you for your answer, but as my posts states - I am NOT using Magix AVC. I'm sticking with Main Concept codec. So I'm not sure the link with test results that you provided would apply. :)

The link I have provided for you applies 100% to your situation !

Mainconcept AVC is an old encoder, that does not support any modern Nvidia or AMD Radeon graphics cards !
The only graphics cards that work properly with the old Mainconcept encoder, are very old models now, like Nvidia GTX 500 series or older.

The new MAGIX AVC encoder has been specifically optimized to take full advantage of all modern Nvidia and AMD Radeon graphics cards.
If you are going to buy a new graphics card that supports 4K monitors, it will by default, also support the much more powerful encoding engine in Magix AVC.
Forget about Mainconcept AVC if you are upgrading your Graphics Card and start using Magix AVC to encode all your videos.

Any Nvidia or AMD Radeon graphics card IS a dedicated graphics card !
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:17 Jul 2018 12:30 by DoctorZen

Posted 17 Jul 2018 12:42 #5
The issue I have is that I am editing and encoding old movies, from DV days. Main Concept codec has the right presets for me to work with. Magix doesn't. In fact one of my older posts on this board is addressing this issue, and instructions were posted on how to unhide the old Main Concept codec. Using is makes my life way easier. :)

So in the end, since I'm not a pro video editor, I might not need a fancy video card. Just something with DisplayPort connectivity on the card.

Posted 17 Jul 2018 12:59 #6

Main Concept codec has the right presets for me to work with. Magix doesn't.

This is easily fixed.
Take screen shots of the preset settings from Mainconcept AVC.
Now open any Magix AVC template and customize it to match the identical settings from each Mainconcept template.
Then Name and Save each custom preset.

This is my last try at trying to explain this to you.
If you buy any new Graphics Card that has a Display Port out, it is not going to support Mainconcept AVC, but will fully support Magix AVC encoding.
Newer GPUs do not support Mainconcept AVC.

You can still render with Mainconcept AVC if you want to, but just know that your CPU will be doing most of the encoding work.
If you render with Magix AVC instead, the CPU and GPU will be used to render your videos, and that will be much, much faster.

Copy the Presets/Templates from Mainconcept AVC into Magix AVC, and you will get everything you are requesting !
Last Edit:18 Jul 2018 09:52 by DoctorZen

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Video Card with Display port

Posted 18 Jul 2018 01:50 #7
Hi electrohead,

Nothing new to add to Derek's recommendations, just some personal views/experience to offer which may or may not be helpful.

I'm currently using Windows 7, Magix Vegas Pro 15 (384), with an AMD Radeon R9 390 8gb GPU card (it does not have a displayport)

Render time test on a 2 minute 32 second 1080-24p video yield these results.....

MainConcept AVC - time to render 3:13
Magix AVC (encode mode: MainConcept) - time to render 2:54
Magix AVC (encode mode: AMD VCE) - time to render 1:30

Although you feel your render times are not a bottleneck, the difference between 3:13 and 1:30 are substantial.

Using a visual inspection comparison side-by-side, I find no visual difference in the quality between Magix AVC encoding with MainConcept mode or AMD VCE mode. Like yourself rendering is not a bottleneck for me, but there also is no reason I would not want to save the time in rendering. Magix AVC is also just as fast as Sony AVC, and much faster than Sony AVC when I use AMD VCE. Visual quality of the Magix AVC is better than both the MainConcept AVC and Sony AVC by a small margin. So for me, between the choices of Magix, MainConcept and Sony AVC's, Magix wins hands down both in quality and time savings.

As for the preset, there isn't any customized present in MainConcept, which cannot also be customized/duplicated in Magix, as far as I can detect. For me, there just isn't any reason to continue the use of MainConcept AVC. Magix AVC can do everything better, faster and is currently supported in Vegas Pro. MainConcept is a legacy codec unsupported which has no future.

As for the displayport, would the use of a displayport adapter/converter be an inexpensive alternative to replacing your GPU? Not sure if you have considered this or if it would solve any of your issues, just throwing it out here as a possible consideration.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 18 Jul 2018 09:53 #8
Derek and George,

Thank you for your answers! I guess I'll just have to go through the trouble of creating encoding templates for Magix codec.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.813 seconds