VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Idea I need to replace my now defective DVD /Blu ray writer.

My Pioneer internal DVD / Blu ray writer has given up recently, and here in NZ I can't seem to get a fast reliable writer to replace it. Bought an ASUS BC-12D2HT recently and had to return it, as it was very noisy and would not read its free software disk even. External drives seem more available but wonder if they are up to the task. The specs are not that impressive. I would like 'M' disk ability also. Would welcome some suggestions from what members use!
Last Edit:03 Mar 2019 21:41 by Eagle eye.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic I need to replace my now defective DVD /Blu ray writer.

Posted 01 Mar 2019 21:51 #2
For my occasional Blu-ray burning I use an external ASUS that I purchased five years ago from Elive by mail order. Burners in retail stores are a rarity nowadays. My model will be old now so I won't even look it up. I don't think there is any disadvantage in using an external burner, after all what's the difference. Mine uses a USB Y connecting lead as it needs two USB ports to get enough power.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle eye.

Replied by Eagle eye. on topic I need to replace my now defective DVD /Blu ray writer.

Posted 02 Mar 2019 07:06 #3
Thanks for your comment ERICLNZ. However I would like some more current experiences from members. Your comment about USB power requirements illistrates my question on the point about the beefyness of the external writer drives for protracted Blu-ray writing.
Last Edit:02 Mar 2019 07:07 by Eagle eye.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic I need to replace my now defective DVD /Blu ray writer.

Posted 02 Mar 2019 08:15 #4
Eagle Eye,

I don't have a specific recommendation, probably would be that valuable anyway as I'm outside of your market, however there are also external BD writers that connect via USB 3.0, yet have a power pack to spin the drive, are more robust, and take the load off of your PSU.

With that said I have been using this drive for about 4 years and have had no issues with it, although I haven't used it this past year as I tend to just use thumbdrives for distribution and a home wifi network for viewing on the big flat screen.

www.amazon.com/LG-WH16NS40-Playback-Essentials-Software/dp/B00IIXLKKU?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle eye.

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic I need to replace my now defective DVD /Blu ray writer.

Posted 03 Mar 2019 01:22 #5
Hi Eagle Eye,

I understand about wanting/needing to maintain a Blu-Ray/DVD drive (writer for both) in my system. Noticed that you are in New Zealand, so one of the YouTuber's I watch frequently, had his channel down there for quite some time (now lives in Taipei I believe). But he also used to work at and with Playtech. Here's a link for their Optical drives:

BD/DVD Drives

Hope this helps.

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle eye., Eagle Six

Replied by Eagle eye. on topic I need to replace my now defective DVD /Blu ray writer.

Posted 03 Mar 2019 05:52 #6
Thanks for your reply Mike, the website looks like a good one, based in Auckland I note. Lately we mainly seem to be able to purchase ASUS optical drive products in NZ no more Pioneer / Liteon/ LG etc. Strange how that the internal drive era seems to have faded maybe everyone are purchasing laptops. Anyway thanks for all the replies I got, my query has been answered, cheers.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.776 seconds