VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved GPU Upgrade question

• zuma
  • zuma's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by zuma on topic GPU Upgrade question

Posted 07 Sep 2021 06:09 #11
Bringing this post back from the dead to give an update... but first I wanted to say thank you for the coverage on the Movie Studio 18 fiasco and our Vegas options. I went ahead and took the plunge to Vegas Pro 18. I did the $99 upgrade, not the bundle with Vegas Pro 19. That being said, I continued my testing using good ol' Movie Studio 17 Platinum. Though I could bore everyone with possibly meaningless details, the TL;DR is:

Multicam editing in Movie Studio 17 Platinum seems to work pretty well with:
  • Proxy videos created
  • Video preview mode set to Preview, Auto
Nothing new there! These are all things you, the good Doc, have already professed to us. Here's something worth mentioning, though. When I initially had trouble with multicam preview, I set the preview mode to Draft, Half. My thinking was to sacrifice quality for better framerates. With my particular setup, that didn't go so well, hence my original rant about poor multicam performance. I did eventually do a test with the suggested Handbrake settings (constant frame rate, matched 29.97 fps). Guess what? It didn't really make a difference. I was feeling like giving up, BUT THEN. I changed the preview mode to Preview, Auto and voila! Multicam finally looked pretty good. The flaw in my thinking was that if "Half" looked bad, then why go any higher? D'oh! Then, I saw a tutorial where you said something like, "Just leave it on Preview, Auto. It's usually best." Double D'oh!

Taking it a step further, I ran the same test with the non-Handbrake converted videos (still using Proxies) and the performance was still pretty good. What?! ... And finally, I performed one last control test using the "raw" videos once again (from my Pixel 2 phone). No bueno! The preview window got so bad it actually crashed the session. Though it's tempting to continue the testing with some Cineform conversions, I should focus on getting my money's worth from Vegas Pro at this point.

Thanks again for all the great info you put out there Doc. How about a Movie Studio 17 to Vegas Pro tutorial? 

Cheers!
by zuma
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctorZen
  • DoctorZen's Avatar Away
  • Don't Panic !
  • Thank you received: 1563

Replied by DoctorZen on topic GPU Upgrade question

Posted 09 Sep 2021 16:43 #12

Bringing this post back from the dead to give an update... but first I wanted to say thank you for the coverage on the Movie Studio 18 fiasco and our Vegas options. I went ahead and took the plunge to Vegas Pro 18. I did the $99 upgrade, not the bundle with Vegas Pro 19. That being said, I continued my testing using good ol' Movie Studio 17 Platinum. Though I could bore everyone with possibly meaningless details, the TL;DR is:

Multicam editing in Movie Studio 17 Platinum seems to work pretty well with:
  • Proxy videos created
  • Video preview mode set to Preview, Auto
Nothing new there! These are all things you, the good Doc, have already professed to us. Here's something worth mentioning, though. When I initially had trouble with multicam preview, I set the preview mode to Draft, Half. My thinking was to sacrifice quality for better framerates. With my particular setup, that didn't go so well, hence my original rant about poor multicam performance. I did eventually do a test with the suggested Handbrake settings (constant frame rate, matched 29.97 fps). Guess what? It didn't really make a difference. I was feeling like giving up, BUT THEN. I changed the preview mode to Preview, Auto and voila! Multicam finally looked pretty good. The flaw in my thinking was that if "Half" looked bad, then why go any higher? D'oh! Then, I saw a tutorial where you said something like, "Just leave it on Preview, Auto. It's usually best." Double D'oh!

Taking it a step further, I ran the same test with the non-Handbrake converted videos (still using Proxies) and the performance was still pretty good. What?! ... And finally, I performed one last control test using the "raw" videos once again (from my Pixel 2 phone). No bueno! The preview window got so bad it actually crashed the session. Though it's tempting to continue the testing with some Cineform conversions, I should focus on getting my money's worth from Vegas Pro at this point.

Thanks again for all the great info you put out there Doc. How about a Movie Studio 17 to Vegas Pro tutorial? 

Cheers!
Thanks for reporting back with what worked for you!
I'm sure it will help someone else in the future 
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.783 seconds