VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Idea Components in 2021 for a self build editing machine under £1k GBP

Hi All
I'd be very interested to get thoughts / opinions on this. I'd like it to be ready and able to do 4k. I mgiht use if for a few other bits and bobs, but video editing will be by far the most demanding no doubt. Space is not really an issue. From watching a video I've got the following initial component list.
Does this look sensible?
Power Supply EVGA 600W 146.99
Motherboard ASRockB450 Pro4 £75
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 £184
RAM Corsair Vengence LPX 16gb £76.53
SSDSamsung 970 Evo £81.50
Fan distribution cable Kabel Direkt £5.65
CaseNZXT Mini-ITX PC case £69.99
Graphic card XFX Radeon RX 570 £299

Any views much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Last Edit:27 Jan 2021 14:46 by PTDevon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi PAul
I'll check when I get home this evening but my immediate observation is that I don't recall the "Pro" versions of Asrock B450 motherboards being available in an ITX form factor, - which would be a problem for the case you mentioned.
Cheers, Robbie
by Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: PTDevon

It's Sunday morning right now as I write this, so I'm trying to relax a little.
Just a few quick comments, but I will comment in more detail later on...

For a budget build, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 is a great 6x core CPU - as you can see it is currently the No.1 seller on Amazon UK.
I think this is very popular with gamers who are on a strict budget.

Unfortunately Graphics Card prices are completely "out of control" right now, due to crypto currency miners buying (stealing) all available stock and factories just can't make enough to keep up with demand. When it comes to Video Editing, it is important to get the BEST GPU you can afford, because Vegas is very GPU Accelated now.

For a budget build, I would recommend you look at any brand of this model:
AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT - this is using a newer architecture compared to the older RX 500 series and should be slightly faster.
Search for this on eBay UK, and I think you should be able to pick up something that is reasonably priced.
Please note that Amazon does NOT always have the cheapest prices when it comes to computer parts !!!
Shop around online in your local UK computer stores as well.

Before AMD released their new architecture, a really great mid-range card was the AMD Radeon RX590.
Specifically the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 590 8GB was a really great GPU and is actually slightly faster than AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT.
You may find a good 2nd hand deal on eBay.

If you would like some inspiration, this UK nerd I follow on YouTube, just did a nice PC build video.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:17 Jan 2021 12:28 by DoctorZen

Hi Paul,

I would concur with Derek (Dr. Zen) about watching the "PC Centric" YouTube video. I am not "Subscribed" to his channel, but have viewed numerous videos by him, even when he was doing a lot of videos while in, how do Y'all say it, "Uni"?  He is also the YouTuber that early last year had an issue concerning "Reviewing GPU's" for nVidia/Partner, that many a Tech YouTuber (Linus Tech Tips, Paul's Hardware, Hardware Unboxed, Gamers Nexus, JayzTwoCents, etc) came to his defense, forcing nVidia/Partner to change their "Tune".   

Being as I am in the US, I would not be able to assist as much in helping to decide where to purchase computer parts.  Though the problem everyone seems to have is the availability of parts no matter where they live!

Part wise, the only thing I would recommend for you is to "NOT" go with an ITX form-factor build.  Unless you really do not have the room for the actual case, its biggest inherent problem is "HEAT"!!!!!  Go with a Micro-ATX build, inside of at least a starting size Micro-ATX chassis.  Even if you build with the Ryzen 5 3600/5600 processor, the other components on the motherboard "need some Loving" (AIR FLOW!) to keep cool, which will assist in providing better power to the processor, and your fans turning a bit slower so they are not as loud, and your "Head not ringing" from those increased Fan Speeds!

Looking at your parts otherwise, they are all good/great choices.  At least have a SATA 3 SSD (like a Samsung 850/860 EVO) for your source footage, use the Samsung drive only for the OS and any applications.  From your old machine, use an older "Spinning Rust Hard Drive" for renders, as that part of the workflow is basically the least Hard Drive intensive.  The other thing I would mention, is that even if you go with the 3600/5600 processor which comes with a CPU Fan/Heatsink, I would recommend getting a slightly better cooling solution.  The included one from AMD will do the job, but something like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO or similar from beQuiet or Noctua or the new one Scythe (FUMA - watch a video about it by Gamers Nexus) will do a much better job.  Plus the nice thing is that those types of coolers also help with providing "Air Flow & Cooling" around the surrounding components that provide the power to the CPU...bonus no matter how you look at it!

It is difficult to recommend exactly which parts in a build, as people do tend to have their own "Biases" of Brand or Manufacturer, let alone like we have now on actual availabiltiy. And, people also have their own particular needs.  Which GPU, CPU, Drive type, Case Size, etc.; not to mention the person's budgetary allowance.

I have used both Intel and AMD CPU's, both AMD and nVidia GPU's, different brands of motherboards, memory, cooling, etc. for computer builds.  My signature has one of my builds currently that I am typically using. 

But, take your time, do the research (just be careful of all the HYPE!) on the parts you are interested in, and enjoy your build!  No need to rush if you have a computer you are able to currently use/edit with, so there is no rush.

And here is my final thought of advice:  BACK UP ALL OF YOUR IMPORTANT FILES FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy editing!

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, PTDevon

Hi Paul
Great advice fron the Doc andf Chief - as always.
With regarfds to my erlier post, looking at the Asrock site it looks like all of the B450 Pro boards are either ATX or micro ATX form factor, so depending on which particular B450 pro you were looking at you will need to rethink the case  and loook for one that supports micro ATX or ATS.  There is a Fatality B450 Gamiong ITX/ac board available but as the Chief advised, the smaller form factor case isn;'t really rfecommended for video ediitung unless you are space poor.
Cheers, Robbie

by Robbie

Thanks Mike. Taking some time seems like a good idea. On that note, I need to take some time to just look into the things you refer to and learn what they mean! I will do that and keep looking and thinking, although I don't want to spend ages as I tend to procrastinate and over cook decisions like this, and I kind of think that, for my limited budget, it is only worth so much thought and as long as I am reasonably sensible, I should get something many times more useful for this than my little laptop..

Thanks again.
Paul
by PTDevon

I am still looking into this and starting by learning the basics.

I just thought I would put this out there... Would anyone care to list the set-up parts they would be most inclined towards buying, to create an editing PC right now if they had a budget of roughly £1000GBP //$1360 USD / $1750 AUD etc.

I know that prices as well as availability might vary in different countries. And the price limit is rough.

It would be interesting certainly for me and maybe for other people to see what setups people most lean towards and perhaps why.
by PTDevon

Following up... I'm keen to get something that is more than adequate to let me use MSP 17. So, I know this is listed as a gaming PC, but I see some of the parts here that I listed earlier. Am I right in thinking that this should perform perfectly adequately with MSP 17? Are there any specific components that people would swap??

uk.pcpartpicker.com/guide/vydnTW/great-amd-gaming-build
by PTDevon

The parts listed in that link will work perfectly with any video editing program.
Most PCs that are labelled "gaming computers" are perfect for video editing.

Please note that if you plan to be editing lots of 4K videos, you really should be looking at an 8x core CPU.
6x core will work, but 8x core is preferable, if there will be multiple 4K video tracks playing back at the same time.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Thanks Derek. I'm going to take my time and hopefully let parts become more plentiful and affordable while I carry on with good old reliable (for my machine) MSP V13.
by PTDevon

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.851 seconds