VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Computer Hardware Upgrades

Computer Hardware Upgrades was created by IAmDennis

Posted 06 Jun 2021 11:31 #1
My present computer is an 8 year old Toshiba Tecra laptop style computer. The CPU is Intel 2.8mhz dual core. It has 8GB of ram and has a 1 TB SSD main drive. I'm running Windows 10 pro.  The computer is really pretty speedy overall - but then I started using DVD architect to compile and burn bluray discs.  One that I did was 16gb total ISO file size and it took my computer 20 hours to make that disc - 19 of those hours processing the ISO file - 1 hour (approximately) to burn the disc.
I'm willing to upgrade to another computer - and I'm pretty tech savy but am not current on what is okay vs what is really good. I don't know where to put the money for the best effect without wasting money on stuff that won't really help.  So, I ask those of you that have been through this:  If you had $2,000.00 to $2,500.00 U.S. dollars to spend, and you want to focus on fast video processing and fast DVD compiling - what specs would you get?  I don't need a monitor (have a 28" HDMI computer monitor) - so think about the computer itself when choosing parts.   I would want an internal bluray burner so if there's any out there are are really dependable (or those I should avoid) - please let me know that too.

Thank you very much,
Dennis
Last Edit:06 Jun 2021 15:42 by IAmDennis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Computer Hardware Upgrades

Posted 07 Jun 2021 14:30 #2
Hi Dennis

Unfortunately DVDA does not use computer hardware resources very efficiently.
The program has been retired, because MAGIX was not prepared to spend time and money on upgrading the code.

There is one thing you should check on your laptop.
Always make sure power is connected before rendering, if not the computer will limit CPU speed to save power.
Also check you Windows Power configuration for CPU, to make sure it is running at 100% when plugged in.
Type "Power Options" in Windows Search box and select Power Options.
Select Change plan settings
Select Change Advanced Power Settings
Open Processor Power Management and make sure Maximum is set to 100%
Please note that this may cause overheating if your laptop is full of dust and room is hot - laptop will auto shut down if this happens.

However, when it comes to VEGAS Movie Studio Platinum and/or VEGAS Pro, you will see much improved performance on a modern computer.
2x Core CPUs are not enough.
You need a minimum of 4x Cores, however 6x or 8x Cores is BEST and very affordable today.

Long story short, AMD Ryzen CPUs are the BEST now.
I recently built a new desktop PC with an AMD Ryzen 5800X (8x Core) and it runs like a rocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intel CPU's are still OK if you can find a good deal, buy AMD is definitely the market leader now.
You should be able to find many laptops with AMD Ryzen now.

Please note that a desktop computer will always give you more bang for your buck!
If you plan to do lots of video editing, a desktop is a better choice.

I highly recommend an Nvidia RTX 2000 or 3000 series Graphics Card.
I dedicated GPU is needed, if you want VEGAS to run at it's best.
With a modern Nvidia GPU, you can do very, very fast rendering - however this will not help DVD Architect at all.

I also recommend a computer with an M.2 SSD drive or Sata SSD Drive - don't get a computer with only a spinning HDD.
M.2 SSD drives are best and will give you a SUPER FAST computer that boots up very, very quickly.

DON'T get a laptop with only an Intel CPU and Intel HD graphics.
Intel graphics is a part of many Intel CPUs.
Intel graphics is OK for rendering, but not very good for Video FX encoding/decoding.
This is where a dedicated GPU is really needed, like Nvidia.

AMD Radeon graphics are good for gaming, but not as good for content creation programs.
That's why I recommend Nvidia GPUs for Vegas editing.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by IAmDennis on topic Computer Hardware Upgrades

Posted 07 Jun 2021 18:07 #3
Thanks for all the advice.  My current Toshiba has an NVdia graphics card (has it's own cooling radiator system inside for it - slick!). Also has a Micron 1TB SSD as it's only hard drive.  Power Settings have always been set to 100% even if running on battery - but I almost always have it plugged in. As good as this PC with most programs, it's still getting old and so I will get something that is faster.  I agree about a desktop, and that is what I will get.
Thanks again - am looking forward to learning all I can about DVDA.  I do realize it's discontinued, but I haven't found anything else that can do Bluray movies and has the ability to customize the menu system this much.   I read that movies are being pushed towards streaming - and that is affecting decisions on software like this because it doesn't have a strong growth future if streaming does take over disc sales.
Regards,
Dennis

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Computer Hardware Upgrades

Posted 08 Jun 2021 08:44 #4
I don't think Blu-ray discs and 4K Blu-ray are going away any time soon.
Streaming might be OK, but content on streaming services never stays there forever!
A lot of people are now discovering this and realise they need to buy a disc, if they want to have a copy for all time.

I personally have a large DVD and Blu-ray collection.
The picture quality difference between Streaming and Blu-ray disc is very noticeable on a large and good TV - colours and detail are much richer, but the BIGGEST difference is Sound Quality!

I use to make lots of discs with DVD Architect myself, now I don't.
My solution is to use a Home Media Server using Plex.
www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/#plex-media-server

I have lots of large capacity Hard Disc Drives in my computer and will soon update to a NAS Server for more capacity.
The Plex Media Server software organises all your Movie and TV Shows and can look up all the Meta Data for each show.
It then connects to my TV via home Wi-Fi Modem/Router.
This means that I can watch anything on my computer through the TV or other Mobile devices.
Any of my personal projects that I use to burn to disc, I now watch via Computer to TV.
When I upgrade to a NAS Server (box full of HDDs), I plan to rip my entire Movie collection onto the NAS Drive at 1:1 quality.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:08 Jun 2021 08:44 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.768 seconds