VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How many Processor Cores is best for Video Editing

• RobWS
  • RobWS's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 7

How many Processor Cores is best for Video Editing was created by RobWS

Posted 17 Jan 2022 08:19 #1
A few years ago I had read about the number of optimal processor cores for video editing.  I tried to find that information again but could not.  I seem to remember that there was what you might call a sweet spot.  In other words, a CPU with a very large number of processing cores offered no advantages and may have even been detrimental.  And a small number of cores would be overworked.  Is this still a valid concern?  Thanks for any information you can pass along.   Rob

Last Edit:07 Mar 2022 11:57 by RobWS
The following user(s) said Thank You: emma896

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How many Processor Cores is best for Video Editing

Posted 18 Jan 2022 11:44 #2
Everything changed when AMD came back from near death over 5 years ago, and introduced a new CPU architecture called "ZEN" which included higher core counts as standard.
AMD's new high core count Ryzen CPUs are absolutely brilliant!!! A large number of people have switched to AMD now, including myself.

Intel on the other hand, had been deliberately sitting on their hands and doing nothing for years, while they had a monopoly on the CPU market. They fell asleep at the wheel and are now paying dearly for the laziness!
It was only a few months ago that Intel finally started to get their shit back together again, with the release of their new 12th generation CPUs.
www.pccasegear.com/category/187_2180/cpus/intel-1700-12th-gen

In 2022, a minimum 8x Core CPU is recommended for content creation programs.
12x Core and 16x Core CPUs are also quite common now.
Link to most popular AMD CPUs models (Australian website).
www.pccasegear.com/category/187_2138/cpus/amd-am4-5000

I built a new computer at the beginning of 2021 and used a AMD Ryzen 5800X (8x Cores).
Compared to my older Intel i7-2600k (4x Core), my new AMD 5800X is like alien technology from the future!
I am extremely happy using an 8x Core CPU now - works brilliantly with Vegas Pro, teamed with a decent Nvidia GPU.
The thing that I have noticed the BIGGEST improvement with, is converting video with Handbrake .
Handbrake works like a rocket on take off and takes very little time to convert an entire movie.

In the next 12 months, AMD will be releasing a newer architecture again, which is rumoured to take another massive leap forward in performance, while being very energy efficient.

Regards
Derek

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• RobWS
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by RobWS on topic How many Processor Cores is best for Video Editing

Posted 20 Jan 2022 01:41 #3
Okay, so there is no issue with too many processor cores.  I would guess that the clock speed would be a more important factor.

You listed in your recent build that you used the Nvidia GPU.  That is another issue I recall reading about a few years ago.  Just like Intel and AMD, one company was in the lead and recommended (Nvidia or AMD).  Is that still ongoing, or is either choice okay these days?

by RobWS

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How many Processor Cores is best for Video Editing

Posted 20 Jan 2022 15:05 #4
Nvidia has the best compatibility for ALL 3rd party video FX.
AMD Radeon also works, but some professional grade Video FX like Sapphire from BorisFX, only work with Nvidia GPUs.

I am a BIG fan of supporting AMD products, however it is safer to use an Nvidia GPU if you want full compatibility with ALL software.
Unfortunately software developers still favour Nvidia over AMD - hopefully this will change soon.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:20 Jan 2022 15:06 by DoctorZen

• RobWS
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by RobWS on topic How many Processor Cores is best for Video Editing

Posted 21 Jan 2022 01:43 #5
Derek, your knowledge AND your willingness to share it is commendable.  Thank you for your replies.

by RobWS

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.744 seconds