VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Editing with the new Intel 750 NVME Drives

Editing with the new Intel 750 NVME Drives was created by mmcswnavy24

Posted 27 Sep 2015 12:55 #1
Hi Derek,

Been browsing through all the forum posts again, and read in a few about you updating your machine to using Windows 10. I also know that you cannot respond to whether Sony is going to update Vegas Pro/Movie Studio/DVD Pro/DVDA etc., probably because you are under NDA :wink: My question tonight is about utilizing the new Intel 750 NVME SSD's (or the PCI-E drives like Kingston Hyper-X/Samsung NP941/SM951 drives) for editing within the Sony Creative Software Suites. I have looked up Google searches, YouTube videos, Sony Forums, VideoMaker.com, and some others, but naturally most of the sites talk about using it with Adobe. Since I have Vegas Pro 12 (Win 8.1 Pro 64-Bit) on my X99 build, with MSPS 13 on the other (Win 10 64-Bt), I would really like to know how the aforementioned drives handle the work-flow. I know that the Sony work-flow is not comparable to an Adobe work-flow (which that is a program I really don't want to pay the continuous fee to for using), but was hoping you might have some input concerning this, or even a site or two to check. I really enjoy using the Sony Products I have, and hopefully updating my Pro version to the "Newer" one soon :wink: . I use a Canon T5i camera, GoPro Hero 3 Black (Typically in 4k - unfortunately only does 15p so may get the Hero 4 Black), and a Panasonic 1080 camcorder for all my footage, but would like to move to the Panasonic Lumix GH-4 for better 4K timelines. The closest video I have seen was the small demo towards the end with JJ from Asus and Paul of Paul's Hardware discussing this drive with the newly released Asus X99 Sabertooth (because of the M.2 to now U.2 connector) for the 2.5 inch drive. The reason why is that I am noticing that even if I do movies on my Vegas Pro 12 build, and using 1080p footage with the files on a RAID 5 setup of 5x2TB Red Drives on a dedicated LSI 9281 RAID card, it still seems to take a bit of time to load the footage, or as the Adobe folks would say "Scrub through the timeline", it is a lot slower than it should be. I know using RAID 5 is not recommended, hence the controller card. Which leads back to the possible purchase of an Intel 750 drive, or possibly the newly announced Samsung 950 Pro M.2 drives, scheduled for release in Mid-October or so.

Thanks for having a great forum, and glad to see that the community is also actively engaged in helping answer questions as well. It is also refreshing to see that if someone misinterprets a post of which they have responded to, they tend to also go back and apologize or clarify it correctly. Not something you see on the Adobe forums much :rolleyes: .

Hopefully you "won't be under and NDA for much longer" and can give us the scoop on the next version of Vegas! :whistle:

Respectfully,

Mike O'Sullivan
MMC(SW) U.S. Navy Retired
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Editing with the new Intel 750 NVME Drives

Posted 29 Sep 2015 15:28 #2
Hi Mike

Sorry for the delay in responding to your message.

I can tell you honestly that I am not participating in any Beta testing of Sony Software at the moment. I don't think anyone is "in the know" at the moment. I personally have no insider information about anything. There is a huge thread on the Sony Creative Software Forum at the moment, where everyone is freaking out about the future of Sony Software. If you have the time and energy to journey to outer Mongolia and back, read everyone's thoughts here.
www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showmessage.asp?messageid=931815

I have also been researching all the newer SSD formats like M.2 and looking forward to building a new computer in next 6 months. My Intel i7-2600k is still going strong for almost 5 years now.

Your CPU and GPU has the biggest influence on Preview Window playback quality. This is because the main bottleneck is the video is getting decompressed in real time by the CPU. Different formats/codecs all behave differently, as I sure you are aware.

Where the newer high performance SSD drives do really help, is with 4K video. This combined with an Intel 6x Core or 8x Core CPU, would give best performance.

For some reason there has been a explosion of questions coming my way at the moment, so I will leave it there for now. I'm trying to answer as briefly as possible, so I have time to answer everyone properly.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Oct 2015 01:41 by DoctorZen

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Editing with the new Intel 750 NVME Drives

Posted 06 Oct 2015 07:06 #3
Hey Derek,

Sorry about the confusion with the e-mail reply. Just another old guy having issues :rolleyes:

For the folks out there that may be following this, here is the reply back to Derek that I messed up sending back to him, instead of replying in the topic:

Thanks for the reply. Just got done with the “Mongolian” tour of that post you linked me to. Wow, seems like the Sony Crowd who use Vegas, are as p***ed off as the Adobe crowd was at them for changing to a subscription model. My head is still reeling from reading the posts, and others linked within. Just hoping they let us know something.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the editing information. I do have two X99 builds that I use, one with Vegas Pro 12 and the other with Movie Studio Platinum 13 Suite. Was hoping that Sony would support CUDA GPU, as that is what I have in both machines (GTX 980 and a GTX 970), since both machines are also used for other tasks besides video editing. I still am not a big fan of AMD cards, for my own reasons. That said, was hoping you might have heard any information concerning the newer “drive” technologies out there now helping with video editing.

Yeah, glad to hear you’re finally looking to upgrade your machine. I’ve watched your video a couple of times on building a computer, and have seen you keeping the “hardware” list up to date a bit. Being an ex-IT Guy who worked with hardware, and former mechanic in the Navy, to me that is the easy part of computers. Really never could get the “grasp” of programming!

Also glad to hear you are feeling a bit better, and should be getting to those projects that have had to be put off. Looking forward to more videos coming our way soon. Was hoping you might have also been able to give us a “Sneak Peek” into Sony’s plans, but will have to wait like you and the rest of us loyal SCS users. 

Again, thank you for the reply. And good luck on your next build. Will be waiting to see the video on that!

Respectfully,

Mike O’Sullivan

Oh well, guess I'll wait out that Samsung 950 Pro PCI-e SSD and give it a try. Still been hunting to find information on it, but like Dr. Zen has mentioned, the CPU/GPU have the biggest effect on editing (hence two systems that have that Haswell-E Six Core chips!). But I also do hope that GoPro will have an update for their Hero products so the format isn't so taxing on a system. Even converting with their software or using Any Video Converter (the Doc's suggestion to others) tends to be "painful".

Thanks again Derek for all your help and information. Will be looking to see what new system you will eventually build. Happy Editing!
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, billr

Posted 27 Oct 2016 17:38 #4
Hi Mike

I am trying to trouble shoot a problem with the forum right now and need your help in eliminating what is the cause.
I found this old message you posted, so no one else will have to get involved and I'm using this purely as a test message.

Another forum member who also uses Comcast for their email address, is only receiving blank emails from the forum.
Is this email notification displaying properly for you ?
OR
Is it just a blank page ?

If the email notification for this test message is displaying OK for yourself, I can rule out any problem with the Comcast email service.
If you are ALSO are only receiving blank messages from the forum, I will know that it is a Comcast problem.

Thank you for your assistance.
Derek :)

p.s.
I will also ask a generic question about this problem to the whole forum, just in case there is an actual problem with the forum notification system.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:27 Oct 2016 17:39 by DoctorZen

Posted 27 Oct 2016 19:00 #5
Hi a 2nd time Mike.
Since posting this message earlier today, I believe the source of problem has been discovered.
It appears that problem has absolutely nothing to do with Comcast.
You can ignore these messages if you like.

Thank you :)

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Editing with the new Intel 750 NVME Drives

Posted 28 Oct 2016 03:45 #6
HI Derek,

Actually just got on this machine where my e-mails from MSZ go. Was wondering why I got the e-mails since I hadn't replied to any posts lately. Decided to log into the forum and check posts and saw these. Now I understand, and did see your post about the e-mail problems. Just so you know, there were no issues with the two e-mails you had sent with the links to these posts, and since you have changed over to a newer forum posting system, I have been able to receive replies from the forum and click on the embedded links and get to the forum. Sorry about the "time difference", as I am in the "Eastern Time Zone (New York, Pittsburgh)", so your first was at 2:39 a.m on 27 Oct, the second at 4:01 a.m. on 27 Oct. So, technically about a day behind you? But, did want you to know that I received them with no problems. And yes, that is why I do not use Windows Mail! Actually, I am so used to using Microsoft Outlook, it is a small pain in the rear to always re-install on a computer build, then put all the settings into Outlook for Comcast. But like everything else on my computers, especially pictures/videos, I will about every 6 months do a quick "back-up" of Outlook into a .pst file and put that on a locally attached WD external drive, and a copy on my server. And when the "Old-Timers" disease doesn't act up, also back up onto a DVD or Blu-Ray disc once a year. Pain trying to remember exactly which file to re-import if I have to, but as long as the "Old-Timers" disease doesn't rear it's ugly head, I put a date inclusion into the file! :)

Thanks for the Great Work Derek!

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 28 Oct 2016 12:36 #7
Thank you for the reply.
I also use Outlook and would be lost without it.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.737 seconds