VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Spec for my new computer

Spec for my new computer was created by Lynda H

Posted 15 Feb 2016 19:42 #1
Hi Derek

Hope you are well. I was hoping you would cast your eye over the spec for my next computer. I'm wanting to take a step up in terms of using pro software (esp VP) and trying to future proof as far as the pocket allows. I have used the spec that CeeDee asked for comments on back in April as the foundation (I'm buying from the same place as they are near me) and followed the advice you and mmcswnavy24 gave at the time plus your more recent advice to video guy - and maxed things where I can. This is what I have come up with:

Case COOLERMASTER K350 GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-5930K (3.5GHz) 15MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® SABERTOOTH X99: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory (RAM) 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 8GB AMD RADEON™ R9 390X - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 12, Eyefinity
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE
1st Hard Disk 250GB Samsung 850 2.5" EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 2TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
3rd Hard Disk NONE
4th Hard Disk NONE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 750W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Fan Controller NONE
Extra Case Fans NONE
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11 AC1900 1,300Mbps/5GHz, 600Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

I'd be grateful for any comments - particularly anything you don't think is a good idea.

Many thanks

Lynda
by Lynda H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Richard Jones on topic Spec for my new computer

Posted 15 Feb 2016 20:32 #2
I'm anything but an expert in this field and listen with awe but little understanding to what the exoerts have to say but if you are capturing SD video from an SD camera, won't you need a Firewire connection?

Richard

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Spec for my new computer

Posted 16 Feb 2016 19:41 #3
Hi Lynda

It all looks good to me :cheer:

The only thing I would say is to closely look at which CPU Water Cooler you select.
If you need a super quiet system, I would recommend getting a more expensive model that allows for custom cooling settings.
If it does not need to be super quiet, stick to the H60.

I have used 3 different CPU coolers like the design you have chosen, so am familiar with the different options.
Currently I am using a Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT, which comes with Corsair Link software.
This gives you the ability to manually set the Fan Speed an hence reduce fan noise to absolute minimum.
The H60 is still a good unit, however it does not have the ability to manually set the fan speed.

Because I record tutorials, I needed my computer to be super quiet.
If you are not recording videos, the H60 would be perfectly OK.

In regards to Richard's comment, if you needed a Firewire connection, you can buy a PCIE Firewire card that slots into the Motherboard.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by Lynda H on topic Spec for my new computer

Posted 17 Feb 2016 04:35 #4
Hi Derek

Thanks for your quick reply. I don't need a super quiet fan so will stick to the H60. I tend to do m work using cards so wont be needing a firewire.

Have just put my order in! Looking forward to starting to watch your VP tutorials - and thanks for a very helpful website.

Cheers

Lynda
by Lynda H
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.931 seconds