VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Viewing windows simultaneously - docking/floating windows

• Pamela
  • Pamela's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 2

Viewing windows simultaneously - docking/floating windows was created by Pamela

Posted 04 Jul 2017 03:41 #1
I see the possibility of viewing two windows on Movie Studio simultaneously (especially to change pan and crop ratios while watching the progress on preview window). I've plowed through the help file but cannot discern how to make this happen. My working windows fill up the top rather than sit beside each other. Example of what I would like to do is attached.
Help, please.

Pamela
Last Edit:25 Oct 2017 18:57 by Pamela

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Viewing windows simultaneously - docking/floating windows

Posted 04 Jul 2017 12:56 #2
When you open windows like Event Pan/Crop or any other Video FX windows, the default setting is for the window to be floating on the desktop. A floating window gives you the ability to make that window as large or small as you like, by dragging out one of the corners.

You can dock any window to the tabbed window area, by dragging the top left corner of a floating window and then pressing the CTRL key to force dock.

To un-dock any window on the desktop, place mouse pointer on the handle "row of vertical dots" in top left corner and drag window back onto the desktop.

Please note that on much older versions of the program, the control settings for docking were reversed. Which meant you had to hold the CTRL key down and also place mouse pointer on row of vertical dots, when moving a window around. Releasing the CTRL key was final step.

Something very important to note:
I am not a fan of docking major FX windows to the tabbed window area, because often when people do this, they forget the window is docked and then think it is missing when they try to open it and cannot find it. Docking a large window, also restricts your view of the toolbar functions for that window, which means you then have to use side sliders to reveal controls. When a window is floating on the desktop, you can make it as small or large as you like.

Final tip:
Double-clicking the top bar area of a floating window, will automatically re-size it to the perfect size that shows all controls.

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:04 Jul 2017 12:58 by DoctorZen
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24

Replied by ericlnz on topic Viewing windows simultaneously - docking/floating windows

Posted 04 Jul 2017 13:28 #3

DoctorZen wrote: Please note that on much older versions of the program, the control settings for docking were reversed. Which meant you had to hold the CTRL key down and also place mouse pointer on row of vertical dots, when moving a window around. Releasing the CTRL key was final step.

You can control this with Options/Preferences/Display - it's the last tick box.

DoctorZen wrote: Double-clicking the top bar area of a floating window, will automatically re-size it to the perfect size that shows all controls.

I never knew this and it's very useful. Thanks Derek.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pamela

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.775 seconds