VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question Screen casting on Movie Studio Platinum 13?

Screen casting on Movie Studio Platinum 13? was created by PTDevon

Posted 18 Aug 2017 18:05 #1
Hi All,
I'm new on here. I've seen a previous post from someone wanting to use screencasts from screen cast-omatic, I think.

I don't have any other (specific screen cast) software like that at the moment, but I want to do a simple screencast video for someone lasting about 5 minutes.

Do I understand correctly (from Derek's reply) that MSP13 can't do screencasts directly but I can use OBS (Open Broadcast Software) - which is free - to do record screencasts (visual and audio from my voice), and then I can import that into MSP?

p.s. I'm a total beginner. There's so much I want to do with MSP but have very little knowledge currently (hence watching some of Derek's videos and coming on here) - and so far a tendency to cause MSP to crash!

Thanks in advance!

Paul
Last Edit:18 Aug 2017 19:53 by PTDevon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Screen casting on Movie Studio Platinum 13?

Posted 18 Aug 2017 20:11 #2
Hi Paul & welcome to the MSZ Forum.

Vegas does not have an in-built Screen Capture program - most Video Editing programs do not include something like that.
There are a huge number of screen capture programs/options available in 2017.

OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is the best open source free version available and keeps getting better and better.
There are also a lot of garbage screen recorders floating around the universe.

I will be uploading an in-depth tutorial on OBS in the next couple of weeks, after I get some other more important stuff uploaded.
It is a bit technical to set up OBS for the first time, because there are so many different settings/options.
The most important setting to get OBS working with Movie Studio correctly, is to set the Recording Format = .mp4 and not .flv

Another program which I use is called Snagit be Techsmith.
Snagit is a Still Image and Video Screen Capture program, that also comes with a very powerful editor, for adding extra things on top of your captures.
I use Snagit for all the still image captures you see on the forum, where I have added Arrows and speech bubbles.
You can also use Snagit to do video screen capture, for tutorials, but I would not recommend it for Gameplay capture.
Snagit is very affordable.

There are already many OBS tutorials on YT, but be wary of some of them.
The problem with YouTube is you find extremely good and extremely bad tutorials on the same topics.
View counts don't mean much, when it comes to tutorials. I've seen completely insane tutorials with huge view counts and top shelf pro tutorials with very small view counts.

Moving forward, if you have problems with Movie Studio not working properly/crashes, just start a new thread in the Vegas Movie Studio forum and report as much about your project as possible, while keeping it brief and to the point.

Regards
Derek.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PTDevon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.680 seconds