VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved MP4 file won't open in Vegas or Windows Media Player

• pioneer
  • pioneer's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5
  • Thank you received: 34

MP4 file won't open in Vegas or Windows Media Player was created by pioneer

Posted 24 Aug 2019 02:04 #1
I hope somebody on here can explain to me why I can open this file which I downloaded from Pixabay in VLC and Blufftitler but not in Vegas Pro nor windows media player. It no big deal as I have saved it as an MP4 using blufftitler so that I can use it in Vegas. Just curious. Cheers John

pixabay.com/videos/gaulois-french-barbarian-celt-25144/
Please be aware that NSA/GCHQ are probably admiring my comments and sent images.
Last Edit:25 Aug 2019 00:29 by pioneer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic MP4 file won't open in Vegas or Windows Media Player

Posted 24 Aug 2019 16:35 #2
Hi John

I will assume you are referring to this video:

If you use MediaInfo to analyse the video, this is the report.

File Attachment:

File Name: gaulois-metadata.txt
File Size:3 KB

Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High 4:4:4 Predictive@L4

I can only assume High 4:4:4 Predictive@L4 is not supported by most Media Players and Vegas.

There is a flip side to the specific website this comes from - Pixabay.com
The video preview which is hosted through Vimeo, uses a different format version, compared to the "source file" in download links.
High 4:4:4 Predictive@L4 would not work on Vimeo or YouTube - just like Windows Media Player and Vegas, so a friendly format lives on Vimeo.
If you download the Vimeo version, that will definitely work in any Media Player or Vegas.

Use one of these downloaders and enter the source URL - this version requires no converting.

There are 3 different video downloaders I use personally.
1. WinX YouTube Downloader (free edition)
www.winxdvd.com/youtube-downloader/

2. 4K Video Downloader
www.4kdownload.com/

3. Any Video Converter (free edition)
www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

p.s. Moderator Edit
I have deleted the zipped video file you uploaded.
I don't allow videos to be uploaded to my web host.
Image and text files are allowed, but I don't want to start a precedent of allowing videos.
Use direct links if you want to share a video or upload to YouTube/Vimeo, Dropbox, Google Drive....
Thanks.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:24 Aug 2019 16:40 by DoctorZen

• pioneer
  • pioneer's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5
  • Thank you received: 34

Replied by pioneer on topic MP4 file won't open in Vegas or Windows Media Player

Posted 24 Aug 2019 18:56 #3
Thanks for the reply and the downloaders links. sorry about the video I did look at the filetypes allowed and saw *.zip, so I falsely assumed that to zip up the video was Ok, so apologies Derek.
Please be aware that NSA/GCHQ are probably admiring my comments and sent images.
by pioneer

Replied by DoctorZen on topic MP4 file won't open in Vegas or Windows Media Player

Posted 25 Aug 2019 00:29 #4
Thanks to your message, I now know about the Pixabay website, which is a good little resource.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pioneer

Replied by joshep123 on topic MP4 file won't open in Vegas or Windows Media Player

Posted 02 Mar 2020 18:47 #5
Windows media player does not support every MP4 file. Few MP4 files need other media player. I use VLC media player as it works better than Windows media player for me. I read an article about VLC on Facebook which says VLC supports almost every MP4 file. So I always prefer VLC over windows media player.
Last Edit:02 Mar 2020 19:01 by joshep123

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.958 seconds