VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Why would anyone want to use Premiere Pro vs VMS 16?

I've been contemplating starting to use Premiere Pro for my primary editing software, have downloaded the trial version of the program and I have come to the conclusion, for my purposes anyway, that Adobe Pr seems to be a bigger headache to use than VMS 16. There are a lot of processes that are a one or two click operation in VSM16 and may take as many as 12-14 steps in Adobe Pr. I get a little tired of VMS 16 crashing to desktop 2-3 times for every project that do and having to reset the program every month or two gets a little old are probably my main pain points. I also just found out that unless you update to the latest and greatest Premiere Pro 2020 CC your GPU is a complete waste of time, because it doesn't get utilized. I guess my real question would be why someone would prefer to use a program like Premiere Pro over Vegas Pro or VMS 16 for that matter?
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's
Last Edit:29 Dec 2020 10:24 by huskereurocat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Why would anyone want to use Premiere Pro vs VMS 16?

Posted 25 Dec 2020 14:35 #2
I've never used Premier but I once sat with someone while they used it and my observations were the same as yours. Everything seemed more complicated. Also I believe it is subscription only nowadays. Of course it should be compared to Vegas Pro not VMS.

However it is an "industry recognised" editor especially when a project is being handled among several editors with each handling different stages or aspects. Vegas, I gather, is more suited to the lone editor handling everything from start to finish.

As for your VMS16 crashes have you tried to resolve the problem which is probably GPU related. Are your drivers up to date? Have you sent in crash reports, although as VMS16 is now not the latest version they probably won't get any attention. Have you tried playing with the various GPU settings in Preferences. Do the crashes always occur when doing the same thing? Apologies if you've already been through all this as I haven't checked this forum or the Vegas forum to check whether you have.

Merry Christmas.
by ericlnz

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Why would anyone want to use Premiere Pro vs VMS 16?

Posted 25 Dec 2020 15:30 #3

ericlnz wrote: I've never used Premier but I once sat with someone while they used it and my observations were the same as yours. Everything seemed more complicated. Also I believe it is subscription only nowadays. Of course it should be compared to Vegas Pro not VMS.

However it is an "industry recognised" editor especially when a project is being handled among several editors with each handling different stages or aspects. Vegas, I gather, is more suited to the lone editor handling everything from start to finish.

As for your VMS16 crashes have you tried to resolve the problem which is probably GPU related. Are your drivers up to date? Have you sent in crash reports, although as VMS16 is now not the latest version they probably won't get any attention. Have you tried playing with the various GPU settings in Preferences. Do the crashes always occur when doing the same thing? Apologies if you've already been through all this as I haven't checked this forum or the Vegas forum to check whether you have.

Merry Christmas.

Yeah, very few bells and whistles needed here and to address the GPU issue, I keep the drivers updated within reason. If I update to the latest and there is a problem with it, I revert back to the last driver. Doesn't pay to send in crash reports any longer. When it comes to the preferences, what would I mess with. Doc has preached not messing with these settings too much, so I don't really mess with them, aside from telling VMS16 that I have a 1060 for my GPU. Is there something that you would recommend?
No I haven't noticed anything specific that crashes the system. I would just be working along on the timeline and my screen turns white and the not responding notification pops up in the label header at the top, then it crashes. Never had it crash during rendering or set up. Always when working in the timeline.

Thanks for your input
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's

Replied by ericlnz on topic Why would anyone want to use Premiere Pro vs VMS 16?

Posted 25 Dec 2020 18:16 #4
Thanks. I'd forgotten VMS16 doesn't have as many possible options to play with as the latest build of VMS17 Plat. There have been a few changes.

Perhaps if you are editing 4K maybe you are pushing VMS too fast when working on the timeline? Might be worthwhile trying the 30 day trial of 17 but unfortunately it's limited to timelines of less than two minutes which may not give you the opportunity to stress it out!

Hopefully the Doc will be along later with suggestions.
by ericlnz

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Why would anyone want to use Premiere Pro vs VMS 16?

Posted 27 Dec 2020 10:29 #5
If you are not earning money from being a Video Editor, Adobe Premiere Pro is a rip-off for the average user.
I will never use Premiere Pro while it remains a subscription service only - it is a greedy license system designed to print billions of dollars for Adobe and keep their share price high for investors.

I did notice that Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 16 is prone to crashing a lot, due to the way they ruined the Video FX window.
In this version they removed folder view (segmentation) for different 3rd party video fx, which causes everything to load at once.
Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 17 seems to be more stable, because the Video FX window is now segmented properly again.

I would recommend you download the free trial for Vegas Pro 18 Edit and see if that works better without crashing.
If you get the same type of crashes in VP18, you need to tell use exactly what type of Video is in your project and which exact Video FX are in the projects that crash.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Why would anyone want to use Premiere Pro vs VMS 16?

Posted 27 Dec 2020 12:22 #6
I tend to agree with you on paragraph one.

What would be the advantage of Vegas Pro 18 Edit over just upgrading to VMS 17 suite. Is the extra $70 worth it over VMS 17 Suite?

Can you still use the VASST Event Tools with VP18 Edit? I use it VERY heavily for putting multiple transitions in my videos. I have over a hundred cuts and subsequent clips that I use Event Tools for and doing so individually is unacceptable.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Why would anyone want to use Premiere Pro vs VMS 16?

Posted 28 Dec 2020 09:56 #7
Short answers today, because I am on a break with family.

What would be the advantage of Vegas Pro 18 Edit over just upgrading to VMS 17 suite. Is the extra $70 worth it over VMS 17 Suite?

Vegas Pro is fully compatible with all 3rd party FX makers that support OFX.
Vegas Pro has video scopes for setting accurate colour correction.
Can edit in 3D x, y & z axis.
Full audio mixing control panel.
The list goes on...

Can you still use the VASST Event Tools with VP18 Edit?

Please remember that Vegas Pro Edit is the full version of Vegas Pro - it just doesn't come with the suite of other programs like Sound Forge Pro.
VASST was made for Vegas Pro first.
Download free trial and test everything for yourself.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: huskereurocat

Replied by vkmast on topic Why would anyone want to use Premiere Pro vs VMS 16?

Posted 29 Dec 2020 01:50 #8
Note that the OP's question re VASST FasstApps EventTools was answered in his VCS forum thread.
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: huskereurocat

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.769 seconds