VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved best file type to render for.....?

• kobo
  • kobo's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 5

best file type to render for.....? was created by kobo

Posted 23 Oct 2014 23:15 #1
Greetings

This question derives from my ignorance regarding the multitude of file types and needing a clearer understanding of what type best suit what purpose.

So I made this video

I knew that I was making it specifically for youtube and when I rendered it I chose Mainconcept AVC/AAC (*.MP4; *.AVC)- Internet 1080p

I chose that format for no other reason than the option "Internet 1080p"

The render process took about 3 1/4 hours for the 34min video, using using my T420 Laptop, 2.6ghz i5 processor, 8gb RAM, source drive was a MSATA SSD with the destination drive being a onboard 7200rpm platter drive (not a USB drive) the source video is AVCHD MTS.

At one point, expermenting, I chose Video for Windoews *AVI, HD 1080-24p YUV, but youtube rejected that format despite it being a AVI file (perhaps the YUV?) - too bad it only took a hour to render!.

What I am wondering is what would be the ideal format to render a file to for, say youtube, or the best to keep for archival purposes; I archive some files on a Bluray disc as data files, not as a Bluray movie, due to the greater flexibility in file size.

TIA

K
by kobo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by frankmlucas on topic best file type to render for.....?

Posted 29 Oct 2014 12:10 #2
The Movie Studio 'Make Movie' button brings up a dialog box that has a 'Upload it to YouTube' selection. And there are scads of video tutorials on YouTube that answer your question.
Sleep is the best meditation.
Last Edit:29 Oct 2014 12:12 by frankmlucas

Replied by DoctorZen on topic best file type to render for.....?

Posted 03 Nov 2014 19:13 #3
Hi Kobo

Sorry for the delay in answering your question.
I became completely overwhelmed with questions during the last couple of weeks and had to take a forced break to preserve my sanity.

The rendering format I show in ALL my How to Render Video tutorials is perfect for general usage.
If you watch any of those tutorials, you will get all the details.

So the two main formats you can use are Mainconcept AVC/ACC .mp4 or Sony AVC/MVC .mp4, and then select the Internet 1080p templates.
Don't be put off by "Internet". The HD Internet templates are good quality and can be used for long term archiving on Hard Drives or Blu-ray discs.

*Never use Video for Windows .avi - this is an uncompressed format and only meant for intermediate work (while you are editing). It is not suitable for final video output.

Regards
Derek.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Nov 2014 19:15 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: kobo

• kobo
  • kobo's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 5

Replied by kobo on topic best file type to render for.....?

Posted 04 Nov 2014 00:48 #4
Thank you Derek; much appreciated.

Good to see you wandering around the halls again I hope that you had a good rest.

K
by kobo
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.841 seconds