VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved GPU Acceleration on older laptop?

• kobo
  • kobo's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 5

GPU Acceleration on older laptop? was created by kobo

Posted 07 Sep 2021 11:34 #1
Greetings Derek.

Reading some older posts here I have a question regarding something you said in a reply to one of the questioners. 

In a comment from April of last year you noted that >>> "*GPU acceleration in Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio, only works with the very latest graphics card architecture" <<<

This got me wondering about the graphics card in my laptop and my plans to upgrade it. Now I'm wondering if I should even bother.

I use Vegas Movie Studio 13 on an older HP ZBook 17 laptop, from about 2013. This is a hefty workstation designed for business people doing serious number crunching CAD programs and such. Along with the usual integrated graphics on the CPU (i7-4800MQ 2.7 GHz) it has a Nvidia Quadro K3100M with 4gb of memory. I have VMS set to use the graphics card instead of Intel's graphics.

I was planning on upgrading the card to a Quadro K5100M with 8gb of memory, the top card offered for this device at the time, and is supposed to offer double the performance of the K3100M.  However if I understand you correctly there might not be any benefit in rendering speed, is this correct or I am missing something?

Thanks in advance 

K
Last Edit:09 Sep 2021 16:43 by kobo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic GPU Acceleration on older laptop?

Posted 09 Sep 2021 16:46 #2
Sorry for the delay in responding to your question.

Normally it is not possible to upgrade/change the Graphics Card inside of a Laptop computer, because ALL the hardware is "baked" in place.

Unfortunately I cannot predict what a graphics card change will do in your situation.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• kobo
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by kobo on topic GPU Acceleration on older laptop?

Posted 09 Sep 2021 21:46 #3
Greetings again,

This ZBook laptop does allow for the GPU, CPU, and a number of other components to be swapped out; these 'workstations' are intended for enterprise's that have tech departments that repair and upgrade their own equipment. 

I understand your not being able to predict the outcome of one graphics card over another, I'm just unclear on GPU acceleration and how, as you stated, it is only taken advantage of in the latest GPU's by Vegas.

Thanks anyway.

K

by kobo

Replied by DoctorZen on topic GPU Acceleration on older laptop?

Posted 10 Sep 2021 14:55 #4
The latest Vegas Pro 19 "Specifications" page, states that Nvidia Series RTX/GTX 9XX or higher is fully compatible.
There is no mention of the Nvidia Quadro cards, even though they are compatible.
My guess is that Quadro K5100M should work well, however I am only guessing and do not know for sure!!!
www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/specifications/#productMenu

I would recommend you ask your question on the official Vegas Pro forums.
I'm sure someone there will know the answer to your question.
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/vegas-pro-forum/
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kobo

• kobo
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by kobo on topic GPU Acceleration on older laptop?

Posted 10 Sep 2021 21:02 #5
Much appreciated, have a great one.

K
Last Edit:30 Mar 2022 11:35 by kobo

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.765 seconds