VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Loved Upgrading to Vegas Pro 20

Upgrading to Vegas Pro 20 was created by Kittster

Posted 14 Aug 2022 14:42 #1
Hello Derek.  Your new website overhaul looks fantastic.  That was a monumental effort.

I am considering upgrading to Vegas Pro 20 from ver. 19.  I think I will wait till Monday the 15th to pull the trigger which is 1 day before the special upgrade price ends.  I'm pretty sure I will upgrade, just wanted to see what others are thinking. 

If I do upgrade, I have a question.  Should I uninstall Vegas Pro 19 and then Install Vegas Pro 20, or simply let Vegas Pro 20 find version 19 and upgrade it automatically.  I forget now how I have done this in the past.

Currently I'm finishing up a very long project and believe I will get it rendered out before I upgrade my system.  In others words, buy now and install later. 

There are several features in ver. 20 which I think will be quite helpful such as being able to use VST3 plugins coming from other software I have purchased and enhancements to the color correction windows once again. 

Any advice you or other forum members can pass along would be most welcome.

Take care - Kittster
Last Edit:15 Aug 2022 13:23 by Kittster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Upgrading to Vegas Pro 20

Posted 14 Aug 2022 18:14 #2
Vegas 20 won't upgrade 19.  Both can exist on your system.  Many users  have several versions installed.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Kittster

Replied by Kittster on topic Upgrading to Vegas Pro 20

Posted 14 Aug 2022 23:19 #3
Thats interesting. I have been on Vegas since Ver 4, left for awhile then came back. I had completely forgotten that both can reside simultaneously. I did note that ver 19 was in its own folder.

Thx for the Tip. I think the Covid outage and getting a little older has affected my memory.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Upgrading to Vegas Pro 20

Posted 15 Aug 2022 13:23 #4
Thanks @Eric 

Hopefully, I will post a new article about VEGAS Pro 20 in a few days time.

For Kittster and other people who read this thread:
Since VEGAS Pro 19 was released and they dramatically reduced the price of all 3 versions, the developers of Vegas Pro have been using a new approach. New features are now constantly added to Vegas Pro during each 12 month cycle, instead of releasing a new batch of new features only once every 12 months.

Many substantial Build Updates (and bug updates of cause) were released for VEGAS Pro 19, during it's lifetime. I'm pretty sure VEGAS Pro 19 received more new features over 12 months, than any other version of Vegas Pro, in it's entire history, other than Vegas Pro 9 which was an epic version!

Some people are complaining that VEGAS Pro 20 does not contain many new features, however they will be drip fed into the program via free build updates over the next 12 months.

I believe one of the main reasons for this new approach, is to give the program developers more time to work on new features and make sure they are properly Beta Tested before release. This hopefully reduces Vegas users from experiencing too many bugs and crashes, thus creating a better user experience.

My general advice for most people is this:
If you own VEGAS Pro 19, you already have at your disposal an epic version of VEGAS Pro!
There is no rush to upgrade to VEGAS Pro 20, unless there is something specific in the new features that is important for you.
I'm 99.99% sure that the current upgrade deal will be extended until the end of August 2022.
And after August, MAGIX will continue to offer various upgrade deals month to month...

Another thing to note about the different versions of VEGAS 20:
VEGAS Edit 20 is the full version of VEGAS Pro 20, just by itself - this is great for folks who only want the program and nothing else!
VEGAS Pro 20, is a collection of programs, including the full version of VEGAS Pro.
VEGAS Post 20 is the hamburger with the lot version - includes VEGAS Effects and VEGAS Image (and heaps of other stuff), which are Video FX programs based on FXHome's Hitfilm Pro and Imerge.

Use this link to access VEGAS 20 upgrade versions

There are also 365 Subscription versions of VEGAS 20, that include extra features - mainly the ability to download Royalty Free Stock Video and Audio Samples.

I have a full break down of ALL versions and links to the VEGAS Sales pages here...

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:15 Aug 2022 13:28 by DoctorZen

Posted 15 Aug 2022 13:30 #5
I believe a purchase will be going in tomorrow for Vegas Pro 20 from Kittster.

I have been giving it a lot of thought today as well as doing some testing by downloading the Trial version.  I did some testing of AVI files rendered to MP4 files using the Magic AVC/AAC with NVENC Codec as as well as the HEVC/AAC with NVENC Codec.  I did this in both ver 19 and 20.  The end results were very similar, using a max 2 minute Trail test.  I averaged about a 2% higher speed in ver 19 vs. 20, but I could see the average FPS gaining as I got closer to the 2 minute mark in ver 20.  I do believe, ver 20 maybe a pinch faster if I did not have the 2 minute limitation.  I set my preferences the same in both versions of Vegas.  I also see that a patch is already available, perhaps that will make rendering even faster yet.

I am not using a lot of slow mo, probably because I have not had overly great results.  I think the Opti-Flow method makes sense and will try it out in the future.
Update, I did check it out before submitting and believe, it is the best method yet I have found to date to get smooth results on 29.97 fps video.  Another Plus...

What I did like best was the VST3 plugins being recognized.  I have several plugins from other Magix applications as well as some additional ones on my own for Audio editing.  I could see them inside Vegas ready to be used.  This is such a beautiful thing to me since now I can apply the audio effect directly to the timeline inside Vegas and not have to make a round trip out to the editor, apply the FX, save the file and then get back to Vegas again to continue.  Its all done in one workspace.  Way to go Magix.   Now I need to figure out how to copy/paste the Audio attributes from clip to clip as I can video effects.  That would really make this sweet.

I pondered this last item late last night.  I came across all the "New Changes" in the Vegas Creative Software Forum.  What caught my eye though was the same article went on to show that there were 5 builds for version 19.  Each of these builds included new Enhancements as well.  So, if I passe don this version 20 upgrade, then as version 20 gets new builds added to it during the course of its "Life Cycle" I would be missing out on those - unless I did the upgrade to ver 20.  I think coming to that realization is what finally put me over the top to decide to get the upgrade. 

I did play around with the Color Wheel HSL a little, not much.  I am glad it is there,  In a way it reminds me of the NewBlue ColorFast effect - only simpler to use.  That could come in very handy making skies or water bluer to suit your tastes.

I'll make my purchase through Derek's website as I do believe he is an affiliate and hopefully will get some credit for it.  He certainly sponsors Magix programs...

After I purchase it, I will not really use it yet till I finish this long 2 hr 41 minute project I am on now.  I don't want to take  a chance breaking any of the NewBlue effects or Titler Pro Titles at this stage of the game.  It probably won't be an issue since its the same version of those effects, but at 83% complete, and knowing I will not be using any ver 20 enhancements on that project, I'll wait till I'm finished before I do the full install of all the effects once again.

Comments are always welcome.  Good night - Kittster

Posted 16 Aug 2022 07:25 #6
Thank you Derek for all the info you have given us to help give us the info needed to make a purchase.  I just completed my Vegas Pro 20 upgrade.  I gave some serious thoughts to just getting the the Vegas 20 Elite ($120) and also the upgrade path to Sound Forge Audio Studio 16 for approximately ($30) or a total of about $150 and save about $50, but I may use some of the other features in the Boris Suite as I have a lot of Green screen in the can that I have not gotten to edit yet.  So I got the Pro 20 version instead.

Now I am nibbling on deciding if I want to get the Samplitude Music Studio 2023 product.  I have the Samplitude Pro X4 Suite from several years ago and have not used it very much.  It looked a little overwhelming, but it looked to be very powerful too.  I may watch some videos on the Studio version to see if it makes more sense and perhaps its is just as powerful now as my old Pro version from a while back.  If anyone has comments on the Samplitude Music Studio 2023 product I would love to hear about them.

Thanks again - Kittster

Posted 16 Aug 2022 13:19 #7
I went ahead and purchased the Samplitude Music Studio 2023 software. I own the Pro X 4 version, but have not used it much. It was really overkill for me. But I think the Studio version is more friendly to my budget on future upgrades. I have some other projects to complete before I get to it, but am glad I got it. I think it will be fun to try out.

Thank you again for all your help Derek. I got everything installed - only one glitch on the Boris Continuum program of which I will contact their support directly for help.

Take care - Kittster

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Upgrading to Vegas Pro 20

Posted 16 Aug 2022 14:04 #8

Thank you again for all your help Derek. I got everything installed - only one glitch on the Boris Continuum program of which I will contact their support directly for help.

Start a new forum thread for this problem and tell me what it is.
I have experienced just about already problem that can happen with Boris FX.
If you own multiple different versions of Boris FX that came as "bonus extras" with Vegas, you can only install one version.
As soon as you install a new version, it will uninstall the older version.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.780 seconds