VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Auto preview not working correctly with windows 11 and new computer

I have transferred Vegas Pro V18 Build 527 from a windows 10 to a window 11 computer. On the windows 10 computer when I click on a media file (in the media window) it would automaticly show up in the preview window. I can go from one media to the next and it always shows up in the preview window which is good. On the windows 11 computer I have to click on auto view  to view the selected media but when I select another media I have to click the auto view again to see that media.  I have a feeling there are a lot of bugs with windows 11.  Sometimes I also see a second preview window come up over the existing window and I have to close one of them. Sometimes I see the preview window flicker.   
Last Edit:29 Apr 2023 09:42 by PETENOW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Pete

There are no bugs in Windows 11 that are affecting VEGAS Pro - I've been on Windows 11 for a long time now and never experienced any major problems with using any version of Vegas.
Something else is going on with your computer.
The flickering you are describing would indicate a GPU (Graphics Card) driver problem and/or graphics settings problem in VEGAS Pro.

Make sure you have Auto-Preview button turned ON, in the Project Media and/or Explorer tabbed windows.
It has green play button in icon.
Then press play button and each video will auto play as you select with mouse or arrow keys.

Fixing Flickering problem
Check VEGAS Pro 18 settings first.
Go to Options / Preferences / Video
Go to GPU Acceleration and make sure correct Graphics Card is selected.
If your computer has a dedicated GPU (Nvidia for example) and also Intel Graphics, make sure Primary GPU is selected, which would be Nvidia or AMD.
Intel Graphics is a secondary GPU, more used on laptops only.

Now go to Options / Preferences / File I/O
This setting here can cause BIG problems, if Vegas has auto-selected the WRONG GPU.
Once again, make sure it selects Nvidia if using an Nvidia or AMD if using an AMD Radeon GPU.
If it has selected Intel graphics, that can cause conflict.

The final thing to check is that you have the latest Nvidia or AMD Radeon Drivers installed.
This is VERY important!!!
Which model Graphics Card do you have ?
If you are uncertain, press Windows Start button and type "dxdiag" in search box.
Run dxdiag
Wait a few seconds.
Then inspect Display 1 and/or Display 2 - it will report your GPU model.

Go to here:
www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
I recommend STUDIO drivers if you don't game on your computer.
Also select Windows 11 as OS.
Download latest Drivers.
Make sure to do CLEAN INSTALL when running installer.
Instruction for a clean install, are shown in screen shots near bottom of this forum post.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/general-discussion/3213-sony-vegas-crashing-when-clicking-render-as#15980

Regards
Derek

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Ok, Thanks DoctorZen,

I will look into that. I already found out that I have to click on the media picture inside the box, not just the box. I can now see the media in the preview window long enough to be useful. In the past I tried updating the drivers of the Nvidia card but I did not know what to look for. A lot of choices there. Your information should give me a better focus. By the way... I changed the mouse and I am seeing a lot more stability with the program. I had that problem years ago. A bad mouse causes very weird thing to happen.
by PETENOW

I am up to updating the driver part of your answer. Maybe a dumb question but to do a clean install I would have to uninstall the current video driver. In doing so wouldn't I lose all video?  The computer came new  with the Nvidea card. I am not aware that there is another card in this computer that would take over.
Last Edit:28 Apr 2023 10:39 by PETENOW

I am up to updating the driver part of your answer. Maybe a dumb question but to do a clean install I would have to uninstall the current video driver. In doing so wouldn't I lose all video?  The computer came new  with the Nvidea card. I am not aware that there is another card in this computer that would take over.
Even when there is no official Graphics Driver installed (example: correct Nvidia Driver), Windows will automatically default to a basic graphics driver, so that you can at least use the computer.

Follow the instructions in screen shots linked in my forum post here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/general-discussion/3213-sony-vegas-crashing-when-clicking-render-as#15980

The last screen shot shows option to select, to perform a Clean Install of an Nvidia Driver.
You don't have to uninstall anything yourself - the installer will do this for you.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Thanks for the information. I look forward to going through this process.
by PETENOW

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.938 seconds