VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Audio problems recording from camcorder to usb

Audio problems recording from camcorder to usb was created by georgieboy

Posted 30 Apr 2020 15:26 #1
Could anyone give me some advice. I have taken my camcorder videos and vhs videos and transferred to a USB. The audio is not in sync and when half the film is run, the sound keeps cutting out making it impossible to listen to. I am using Homestech, VHS to DVD plus, 2020 version 4.0. I found your information on YouTube regarding the HANDBRAKE program, which I downloaded and tried converting the programs but I have had no success with the audio. Any suggestions. Thank you
Last Edit:30 Apr 2020 18:43 by georgieboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Audio problems recording from camcorder to usb

Posted 30 Apr 2020 19:07 #2
Hi georgieboy - Welcome to the MSZ Forum :)

Thank you for posting into the forum instead of Facebook :woohoo:

If I am understanding your problem correctly, the VHS to DVD capture device you bought, is not keeping your video & audio in sync
It sounds like your problem is being caused by the Honestech VHS to DVD 4.0 HD or you have a problem with the USB thumb drive the videos are stored on.

I'm not sure why you are mentioning Handbrake at this stage, because it can't fix your problem.

Let's go back a few steps...
We need to know the exact steps/workflow you used to create the videos ?

1. I am assuming you connected your Camera or Video Tape player to the Honestech VHS to DVD 4.0 HD USB dongle and connected this directly to the computer.
2. Did you save the recorded videos directly to your computer's Hard Drive, when you first captured the videos or did you record directly onto the USB thumb drive instead ?
3. If you first saved the videos to your computer's Hard Drive, did they play back in-sync OK when played directly from your computer's Hard Drive or were the videos also out of sync on your computer ?
4. If the videos stay in sync when played back from your computer's Hard Drive, that would indicate the actual problem is with your USB thumb drive !
5. Another thing to consider is the settings you used in the app that comes with Honestech VHS to DVD 4.0 HD.

If the problem is with your USB thumb drive, it could possibly indicate that the USB drive is not fast enough to play back video smoothly and keep the audio in sync.
I would recommend a USB 3.0 drive for play back of video content - USB 2.0 can often be too slow to play back large video files smoothly.

I will wait to hear back from you, before suggesting anything more.

Regards
Derek :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:30 Apr 2020 19:12 by DoctorZen

Replied by georgieboy on topic Audio problems recording from camcorder to usb

Posted 01 May 2020 04:08 #3
Hi Derek:

Thanks for answering my question. In answer to your questions.
1. Yes, I connected directly to my computer
2. I recorded directly to my hard drive
3. I tried, this morning, to play the recording back on my lap top and my sound is still out of sync but I do not get the intermittent pausing and starting of the audio.
4. Still out of sync
5. I followed the procedure from the literature of the VHS to DVD and in there they told me to record it as DVD. I am not sure if that could be the problem or not.
6. In regards to USB's I did have a 32gb 2.0 and then went to a 32gb 3.0 and due to the fact that some of my files were over an hour long I went to 128gb 3.0 and still have the same problem.

Please let me know if I can give you any further information that will help to solve my problem.
Thanks for your help.

Georgieboy

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Audio problems recording from camcorder to usb

Posted 02 May 2020 19:41 #4
Thanks for the precise answers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel pretty certain that your problem has something to do with the Settings in the Honestech VHS to DVD 4.0 HD software.
There are a few videos on YouTube I found, that show how to use it.
I found this video here:

What I recommend you do now, is a series of small tests.
I think your problem can probably be solved, by experimenting with different settings in the Honestech app.
Try to re-capture just 5 or 10 minutes of video, using different settings each time.
Make sure to use the Advanced Mode and if possible, capture/record directly to your Hard Drive and don't record direct to a blank DVD or Blu-ray.

I took a screen shot from the YT video. As you can see, there are many different options.
The most important setting is the Frame Rate!
It will either be NTSC (29.97 fps) or PAL (25 fps) - if this is set incorrectly, it could cause some issues.
It might also be worth trying the Blu-ray settings, just to see if it works better.

Going back to the intermittent audio pauses...
If the audio works OK when being played back directly from a Hard Drive (not a USB drive), but starts pausing when being played back from a USB drive connected to a TV, that normally indicates the USB drive is not fast enough or the video has been encoded at too high a Bit Rate. However I don't think a High Bit Rate has anything to do with your problem, because Capture Apps don't normally do this type of thing.

Final comment for today...
VHS to DVD capture devices/apps can be are very problematic.
You really need to find someone or a support forum who uses the same capture app - they will be the best people to ask for help.
However, it seems like this company Honestech has gone bust and no longer exists.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:21 Jun 2020 11:44 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.655 seconds