VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question Imported MOV Files flicker or are blank in Vegas Pro

Imported MOV Files flicker or are blank in Vegas Pro was created by serazooo

Posted 23 Oct 2022 07:09 #1
Hello Vegas community
I'm working on a project in Vegas with lots of imported mov files with transparency (exported from Adobe After Effects). Everything was fine since 2 weeks ago. I open Vegas file today and many mov files are blank or occasionally they will show but either for one frame or will quickly flicker (appear/disappear). I've searched in this forum and Google... my problem remains. I don't understand what could have changed.

specs :

Vegas 20
Windows 10 / 64bit
Graphic card : AMD Radeon HD 6670

Thanks for your time!
Last Edit:27 Oct 2022 17:39 by serazooo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Imported MOV Files flicker or are blank in Vegas Pro

Posted 27 Oct 2022 18:20 #2
Hi serazooo

Sorry for the delay in answering your message.

GPU Driver
Flickering videos normally indicate a GPU Driver problem.
Your Radeon HD 6670 is a very old graphics card (more than 10 years old) and is not really configured to work with Vegas Pro 20.
Since Vegas Pro 15 was released, the Vegas encoder/decoder is designed to only work with modern GPU Architectures.

Because your graphics card is so old, I doubt new Drivers are being released for it in 2022.
Make sure you have the latest Radeon Drivers installed.
www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-6000-series/amd-radeon-hd-6670

Windows 10 Update or Vegas Settings
Since you said the project was working OK and then suddenly stopped working, the most likely cause would be a Windows 10 update OR a setting in Vegas Pro 20 has change.

Alpha Channel Settings
When you import videos with Transparent Alpha Channels in Vegas, you need to manually turn on the Alpha Channel, so that they work properly.
Right-click each video and go to Properties / Media
Find Alpha Channel and select a mode that works - Straight or Pre-multiplied normally work.

Vegas Pro 20 build version
A new update for Vegas Pro 20 was released last week.
Make sure you have this update installed.
OR
If you have already installed the latest update, that may be the cause of your problem.
Build #214 is the new update for VEGAS Pro 20.
Open Vegas and go to Help/About, to find which version you have installed.
You can download Build #214 from the official Vegas Pro forum here:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-20-build-214--137660/

Apple Quicktime
Technically speaking you shouldn't need to install Apple Quicktime for .mov videos to work in Vegas Pro 20, however sometimes this does help.
I have a download link for Quicktime 7.7.9 in this FAQ article here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/doctor-zen-faq/install-older-version-apple-quicktime-movie-studio-vegas-pro

Vegas Pro 20 temporary files folder (cache) and/or Settings
If the Vegas Pro cache has become corrupted, that can sometimes cause videos to not display correctly.
AND / OR
You may have accidentally changed a setting ?

To restore Vegas to it's default settings and also clean the temporary files folder (Cache), you can do a full program reset.
Reset instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/doctor-zen-faq/how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

Vegas Pro 20 Encoder/Decoder
If the Vegas Pro 20 MAGIX encoder/decoder is not working for a particular video type, sometimes turning on the old AVC encoder/decoder can help.
Go to Options / Preferences / File I/O
Turn ON Legacy AVC decoding
Re-boot Vegas Pro

Regards
Derek

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.736 seconds