VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved superimposing -- video layering?

superimposing -- video layering? was created by mullan49

Posted 02 Mar 2017 08:52 #1
I'm experiencing terminology failure, I think. I'm an old school film editor who wants to do some very simple superimposing (ie: place or lay one thing over another, so that both are still evident).

In other words: I want to work with two images at once, not picture-in-picture (imposing a framed box of one image into another) but rather I want to see both images at the same time -- some waves, with some birds flying "super imposed" over the waves.

I am not talking about dissolving from one shot to another -- I want to see both for a set duration, with the ability to adjust from moment to moment the intensity of the superimposition.

I suspect that the envelope tool has something to do with it, but most of what I find about that tool involves working with sound.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by mullan49 on topic superimposing -- video layering?

Posted 02 Mar 2017 08:54 #2
to clarify:

I said, >>> some waves, with some birds flying "super imposed" over the waves.

I should have said, "super imposed" through the waves.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic superimposing -- video layering?

Posted 02 Mar 2017 10:34 #3
Hi mullan49, and Welcome to Movie Studio Zen,

Try this......

Put the waves clip on a track in the timeline.
Create a track above this and put the bird clip in this top track.

In the preview window all you will see is the top bird clip (event).

To allow the waves video to bleed through the bird video, at the very top of the bird video is a tiny blue marker (about midway down the clip). Hoover over this marker and a small window will appear 'Opacity is 100%'. Grab this small marker with the left mouse button and drag the marker downward. The percentage of 'Opacity' will change allowing the waves clip (event) in the lower track to bleed through. Set the opacity to any desired degree. You can also change the opacity of the lower wav track the same way, first select the event, then adjust the Opacity Marker, alythough there may be no need to do this.

When I have done this, I have also applied a 'Brightness and Contrast' FX (or color correction FX) to bring out the detail of a track.

Hope this helps.......
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 02 Mar 2017 11:09 #4
Got it -

thank you, George --

Another quick question you may have an answer for. Is there a way that I can adjust the opacity within a given clip? (ie: do what you just suggested so that I'm starting out at say, 80%, but then shift over a period of a few seconds to 40%)

Replied by Eagle Six on topic superimposing -- video layering?

Posted 02 Mar 2017 11:44 #5
Seems there should be a way to do this, but I'm at a loose right now. I know how to do it using fade from part of the clip at say 80% opacity and then a following part of the same clip at 60%, and simply overlap the clips on the same track so one fades into the other. However, this requires the two sections of the same clip to be cut at precisely and overlapped at the same cut spot so they flow without a jump cut. I can do this but using duplicate top tracks on two tracks above the bottom track, but explaining it is anther thing. Perhaps composting is what is needed here.

Perhaps Derek or other members have an easier way. I need to leave for the evening and may not be back for a few days, but will check back and follow your thread. If no one else comes up with a simple method I will try to explain my steps.

By the way, are you using Movie Studio or Vegas Pro, and what version? This may make a difference to those contributing.
Best Regards......George

Posted 02 Mar 2017 12:08 #6
thanks again, George --

I'm using Movie Studio Platinum 13.0 (build 987)

Replied by ericlnz on topic superimposing -- video layering?

Posted 02 Mar 2017 12:25 #7
Unfortunately you cannot apply keyframes to the clips opacity. But use a Track Envelope "Composite Level" which behaves like opacity and you can apply keyframes to that to change it over a period. But remember to "Lock enveloped to events" in the Config button.
Last Edit:02 Mar 2017 12:26 by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by Videome on topic superimposing -- video layering?

Posted 02 Mar 2017 23:40 #8

mullan49 wrote: Is there a way that I can adjust the opacity within a given clip? (ie: do what you just suggested so that I'm starting out at say, 80%, but then shift over a period of a few seconds to 40%)

Hi Mullan49,

Yes there is, George was nearly there. See attached screen shot,

1) Place the clips as George explained one over the other.
2) Right click the track header in the time line.
3) Select 'Insert/Remove Envelope' from the pop up context menu and select 'Composite Level'.
4) Right click along the envelope line that appears on the video track to 'Insert Point' see screen shot.
5) Left click the mouse button and drag up or down at various points along the envelope line to adjust the opacity as required.
6) To do this you do need to add extra points otherwise you will affect earlier adjustment points you have made.

If you have too many points on the line, just right click and remove the points by choosing 'Delete'.

I hope this solves the problem for you

Regards Malc
Last Edit:02 Mar 2017 23:47 by Videome
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six

Replied by Videome on topic superimposing -- video layering?

Posted 03 Mar 2017 00:00 #9

ericlnz wrote: But remember to "Lock enveloped to events" in the Config button.

Good point, ericlnz, I omitted to include that in my explanation.
by Videome
Attachments:

Replied by NJGUY on topic superimposing -- video layering?

Posted 03 Mar 2017 00:58 #10
Malcom is this similar to masking?
by NJGUY

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.889 seconds