VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Graphics card - advice on what card is best for Vegas

• Michel
  • Michel's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5
  • Thank you received: 32

Graphics card - advice on what card is best for Vegas was created by Michel

Posted 24 Aug 2017 01:21 #1
Hi Derek,

I remember talking to you about my graphic's card which is not a young chicken as you might recall. I've been using an AMD Radeon HD 7900 series graphics card for 3 years. I recall asking you, about a year ago, a suggestion on what would be a decent change. At that point you told me that the best was to wait for the new MSP14 and then decide, based on that product, what would be the best fit.

As I mentioned a couple of times on this forum, I will not be purchasing MSP14 and will remain with version 13 until they get version 15 out. Hope this will come soon!

I have been considering for a while in changing my 3 year old PC. I have RAM issues, I'm sure and have been wanting to change my graphic's card for a while. So when I do change the machine, probably in sept. or oct. what would you suggest I get to improve this important feature of my new system?

Again thanks for the previous response on the format to use on a big project, that settles that matter once and for all.

Note: Just so you know. Unless I forgot to do something... after clicking on New Topic and choosing what Category, I had to erase my previous subject and text so to write the following question. Usually I get a blank page to do so??

Michel
Last Edit:24 Aug 2017 10:53 by Michel
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGrunthunter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Graphics card - advice on what card is best for Vegas

Posted 24 Aug 2017 11:02 #2
Vegas Pro 15 will be released on Monday 28th August 2017.
This new version is meant to have support added for modern Nvidia graphics cards.
I will wait and see what Magix actually produces before commenting on this topic.

If Magix adds proper support for modern Nvidia graphics cards into Vegas Pro 15, then it will follow that Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum will have that same function added to it. If this happens, then you can safely get any computer that has an Nvidia graphics card and know that it will increase performance in Vegas.

So far, there is no new information about AMD Radeon graphics card support.
I am waiting to see what happens on Monday.

On the CPU side, AMD now has their Ryzen 8x Core CPUs.
These are very powerful CPUs at half the price of equivalent Intel models.
Intel still makes the best performing 4x Core CPUs.

If you intend on editing 4k video in the future, I would strongly recommend getting a computer that uses AMD Ryzen CPUs.
If you are not interested in 4k editing, Intel or AMD are both good choices.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:24 Aug 2017 11:02 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGrunthunter, ericlnz

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Replied by Michel on topic Graphics card - advice on what card is best for Vegas

Posted 25 Aug 2017 06:15 #3
Hi Derek,

A great WOW man, fantastic! So Magix gets VP 15 out almost a year after 14. This tells me that either Magix is not satisfied with the current version or they were under pressure to get 14 out for both VP and MSP that they forgot to modernise the mechanics of the program. I do not regret with this info. in not purchasing MSP14. Do you know when MSP 15 will be getting out? 14 came out in February if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the info. on the graphics card. I will buy my new PC in Oct. but I will wait before installing the new card, unless info. on that matter is provided on the forum.

Thanks for this great answer Derek.

Michel
Last Edit:18 Sep 2017 12:23 by Michel

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Graphics card - advice on what card is best for Vegas

Posted 25 Aug 2017 07:59 #4
Most software companies do a major refresh of their software every 12 months.

The developers of Vegas have been posting comments about their progress on the official Vegas Forums.
Versions 14 of Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio, were difficult versions to release, because they had to remove and replace a HUGE amount of Sony code references from the product. Because of the complexity and time this took, the versions they released were the best they could produce within a time limit.

Hopefully most people will recognise more significant changes when versions 15 or Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio are released, now that Magix has had more time to concentrate on new features.

The latest free build version for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14, has had a new function added to it.
It now has the ability to audio sync multiple clips, when doing Multi-Cam video editing - this is an unexpected and great feature to add to the program, for anyone that already owns v14. I expect Vegas Pro 15 will have the same feature added to it, as well as many other things.

There is no information yet, about when Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15 will be released.
As soon as I find out, I will be sure to let everyone know.

Recommendation on updating software:
The only reason I update to every single new version of Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio, is because I am teaching it and need to know what is going on.
For all the other software I own, I normally only upgrade every second year. This way, it feels like a more significant jump to the newer version and is more cost effective than paying out money every year.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michel, MrGrunthunter

Replied by ilyk49 on topic Graphics card - advice on what card is best for Vegas

Posted 31 Aug 2017 22:32 #5
I certainly wouldn't recommend Ryzen with Vegas Pro. I had the Ryzen 1700X and I had nothing but problems with Vegas Pro 14. It worked well with other programs (eg Edius, Premier Pro etc) - but just wouldn't work properly with Vegas as the timeline kept stuttering and was unusable. The rendered product was fine - but you just couldn't use Vegas because of the timeline problem. No one could suggest a solution. I had numerous conversations with Magix and they suggested many solutions - none of which worked. In the end I just gave up on Ryzen and got an i7 (7700K CPU at 4.2Ghz). Vegas Pro 14 now works perfectly. So I would certainly be wary of Ryzen.
by ilyk49
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michel

Posted 31 Aug 2017 23:19 #6

I had the Ryzen 1700X and I had nothing but problems with Vegas Pro 14.

Thank you for your feedback ilyk49.
Your experience with Ryzen and Vegas is puzzling, because this is the opposite to many other reports I have read from other Ryzen/Vegas users.
The majority of users I have heard back from, have said Ryzen works well.

I have been following the AMD Ryzen story from the beginning and read a large number of articles and test reports.
I do not own a Ryzen system yet, but can offer maybe one or two main reasons for your poor experience.
As I am sure you are aware, there were a lot of problems with Ryzen when it was first released.

The two BIG problems were:
1. Memory (RAM) compatibility problems
2. BIOS configuration problems

Both of these issues have been fixed now and continue to be improved upon.
AMD has released a lot of very big BIOS configuration updates, which the Motherboard manufacturers have pushed through as fast as possible.
Considering how important RAM configuration is for Vegas, my guess is that this may have been one of the problems.

I did hear one report on YouTube, from someone who was experiencing terrible problems with Ryzen.
After swapping out his RAM for a different type of Memory and updating to the latest BIOS, he then reported a night & day shift in computing performance and now has a great functioning PC.

Of cause this is all theory on my behalf, but you are the first person I have heard that has had such a bad experience.
I would like to think that Magix will be making sure that Vegas Pro 15 works well with all Ryzen CPUs, considering how many people are now investing in AMD again. Sony Creative Software use to be a very close partner with AMD and they use to make sure that Vegas worked well with AMD.

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Replied by Michel on topic Graphics card - advice on what card is best for Vegas

Posted 03 Sep 2017 01:17 #7
Thanks for your input Derek.
by Michel

Posted 03 Sep 2017 12:13 #8
Vegas Pro 15 is now released.
Now we have something concrete to go on.

Vegas Pro 15 now supports all modern Nvidia graphics cards and Intel Integrated Graphics (QSV - Quick Sync Video).
A wide range of users from the official Vegas Pro Forums, are reporting much faster render times using either of these two options.
Vegas Pro 15 users can safely know that Nvidia graphics now works properly for rendering video.

The lead developer for Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio, has said that development will continue for Vegas in this department.
The next thing that will be added to Vegas, is support for all modern AMD Radeon graphics cards.
Gary Rebholz (lead developer) has said that they would like to add AMD Radeon support to Vegas Pro 15, in one of the free updates that will be released in the near future. He has also said, that they are working on also adding better GPU support for the decoding side of the program - which means better playback in the Preview Window while editing.

Now I will look into my crystal ball and make a prediction.
No one knows when Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum will be released, but I suspect that February 2018 would be the logical date.
When Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum gets released, it will have full support for all modern Nvidia and AMD Radeon graphics cards, as well as Intel QSV.

Support for all modern Graphics Cards is being treated as the highest priority by Magix/Vegas, but this type of thing takes time to get right.
Last Edit:03 Sep 2017 12:14 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• Michel
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Posted 07 Sep 2017 00:46 #9
Hi Derek,

As mentioned in a previous message on this subject I'm thinking of purchasing a new PC including a new graphics card. I have a limited budget that should nevertheless permit me to get a decent system for the price. I'd like to know what's your opinion on the GTX 1060 series with a pretty wide price range that would start at around $275 cdn funds?

Thanks for the previous info Derek...I saw on Youtube that it will be possible to adjust the background colour in Vegas Pro 15; hope the same will apply to MSP 15...

Michel
by Michel

Posted 07 Sep 2017 09:15 #10

I'd like to know what's your opinion on the GTX 1060 series with a pretty wide price range that would start at around $275 cdn funds?

An Nvidia GTX1060 is a perfect choice for anyone on a budget, that would still like a decent GPU.
I recommend this GPU :idea:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.857 seconds