VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Vegas Movie Studio stops rendering before it is finished

One of the most vexing and continuing problems I have had, and continue to have from v14 through the recent upgrade to v16 is with rendering. In most, but not all, projects the render will progress to a certain point and simply stop. No error message appears; the render - in fact, the whole app - just freezes. Canceling does no good. I have to use Task Manager to exit the app and restart it. I have read in this forum and elsewhere that this seems to be a fairly common problem, but I have yet to learn about a comprehensive solution. I have GPU acceleration turned off by default. Sometimes, I can remove the clip that contains the frame number where the render froze and recover that way. Obviously, this is not an ideal workaround as the offending sequence may be critical to the storyline. Do you have any insight into what may be causing this behavior and what I may do proactively to avoid it?
Last Edit:07 Aug 2019 12:30 by AllenMoore

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Movie Studio stops rendering before it is finished

Posted 07 Aug 2019 12:36 #2
Which exact version of Vegas Movie Studio are you using now ?
Which build version do you have installed ?
Open Vegas and go to Help/About to find build version.

Which output format and preset are you using when the rendering freezes ?
Example: Magix AVC/AAC - Internet 1080p

What model CPU are you using ?
What model Graphics Card are you using ?
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by AllenMoore on topic Vegas Movie Studio stops rendering before it is finished

Posted 08 Aug 2019 21:55 #3
The details:

Version: Movie Studio Platinum 16
Build: 142
Format: MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4
Preset: Internet 4K 2160p 59.94 fps
Processor: Intel Core i5 6600 CPU @ 3.30 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

I normally shoot video with iPhone X using Filmic Pro v6, 4K @ 60 fps. I have noticed the same behavior with material shot with Sony A7ii, 1080p @ 30 & 60 fps.

Replied by jamtrax99 on topic Vegas Movie Studio stops rendering before it is finished

Posted 11 Aug 2019 05:56 #4
Hi, this may be of some use as it seems to have solved my similar issues with rendering stopping at certain points.
Last Edit:11 Aug 2019 05:56 by jamtrax99

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Movie Studio stops rendering before it is finished

Posted 11 Aug 2019 14:12 #5
@AllenMoore
Sorry for the delay in responding - I have been out of town for a few days and was offline the whole time.

The video that @jamtrax99 linked to, is showing how to work with a Nested Timeline.
The user in the video is using an older version of Vegas which does not use the new Magix AVC encoder, so I doubt it will help with your problem today.

I have some ideas as to what maybe causing your problem.
1. How much RAM do you have installed in your computer?
If you are working with 4K video, you really should have an absolute minimum of 16GBs installed - 32GBs or more would be preferable.
If you don't have enough RAM, it will fill up and crash.

2. Your model of CPU is not designed to work with large 4K video files!
If you want to edit and render 4K video, you should be using an Intel i7 with 8x cores or one of the newer AMD Ryzen 8 core CPUs.
Your Intel Core i5 6600 4x core CPU was not designed for 4K video editing - 1080p at the most.
4K @ 60 fps requires a high powered CPU with lots of cores.

3. If your source videos were recorded to a .mov file container, Vegas does not like that type of video.
If you are working with .mov videos, I would recommend converting them first into an "edit friendly" Intermediate Format, which will put less stress on your CPU.
You can use a Video Converter program to do this or use Vegas itself.
I have 2 tutorials on this topic here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/593-render-avid-dnxhd-video-vegas-pro-movie-studio
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/592-render-cineform-video-from-vegas-pro-movie-studio

4. Another major cause of render freezes can be certain Video FX you may have added to your projects.
An example is Sharpening. If you add Sharpening FX to the entire project and push it too far, it can cause a RAM memory overload.
A test you should try is to render just a video without any Video FX added. If it renders without crashing, that means you need to work out which Video FX are causing the problem.

5. Have you tried rendering with the GPU turned ON ?
The Magix AVC encoder is meant to work modern Graphics Cards.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:26 Jan 2020 13:08 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.832 seconds