DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Stretch video when rendering (MSP16)?

Stretch video when rendering (MSP16)? was created by RgVideo

Posted 07 Apr 2020 06:28 #1
Using MSP16 (build 167) with Win 7 i5 laptop

I'm creating a 16:9 1280 X 720 video from 4:3 slides. I tried the "stretch video" option when rendering. It didn't work. Why not, since my project is 1280 X 720?

I can do it by adding wide screen pan/crop to every slide and that works. Not that much trouble with pasting the event attribute to all slides at once, but would like to do it at render time.

Thanks,
Ralph
by RgVideo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Stretch video when rendering (MSP16)?

Posted 07 Apr 2020 10:17 #2
It's not intended for doing that. It's for when your Project settings are slightly different to your output format. Presumably you have your project on 1280x720 and your output is the same. There is nothing to stretch. What you are wanting to do is stretch individual events.

An alternative is to use Track Motion which will then stretch every Event on the track. Width 1517.00, Height 720.00 appears to work. Another way is to apply Deform FX as an output FX and switch it on when you render if you don't want to see the stretch while editing.
by ericlnz
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, RgVideo

Replied by RgVideo on topic Stretch video when rendering (MSP16)?

Posted 07 Apr 2020 10:43 #3
Thanks very much. The term "slightly different" did not seem to apply for my situation, but wasn't sure when it would be used. I'll try your suggestions and see if I like one of those ways better than Pan/Crop each still.

Completely off-topic, but I know you're active there: Tried to post first on Vegas forum, and when I click the POST button nothing happens. Also tried to send a msg to a moderator and had same problem. Cursor doesn't change to "hand" over POST button. Same problem with old Firefox and current Chrome. Any ideas why?

Stay safe down there!
Last Edit:07 Apr 2020 10:44 by RgVideo

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Stretch video when rendering (MSP16)?

Posted 07 Apr 2020 19:44 #4

RgVideo wrote: Completely off-topic, but I know you're active there: Tried to post first on Vegas forum, and when I click the POST button nothing happens. Also tried to send a msg to a moderator and had same problem. Cursor doesn't change to "hand" over POST button. Same problem with old Firefox and current Chrome. Any ideas why?
Stay safe down there!

I am assuming you are talking about the official Vegas Forums and not the MSZ Forum here!
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/

If any website stops working correctly, logout first.
Then delete all the History and Cookies for your web browser.
When you go back to the website, a fresh copy of everything will be downloaded.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by FayFen on topic Stretch video when rendering (MSP16)?

Posted 07 Apr 2020 20:46 #5
If your images are 4:3 you better keep them as such, why you think "fatter wider" objects are fine?
Last Edit:07 Apr 2020 20:47 by FayFen
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by vkmast on topic Stretch video when rendering (MSP16)?

Posted 07 Apr 2020 21:53 #6
RgVideo wrote:
"Completely off-topic, but I know you're active there: Tried to post first on Vegas forum, and when I click the POST button nothing happens. Also tried to send a msg to a moderator and had same problem. Cursor doesn't change to "hand" over POST button. Same problem with old Firefox and current Chrome. Any ideas why?
Stay safe down there!"

@RgVideo
Hi. I've been having exactly the same problem recently. Try working around this by making the page smaller (the square button upper right) and dragging the right border further right to enlarge the black area. At some point you should be able to see the hand. Just tested this (with Message POST) in Chrome and Edge. For me, also after moving the page from the laptop screen to the larger external one it works as it should.
I think this may have started happening some time after the unfortunate VEGAS Support Assistant was introduced. And this does not seem to be a common problem and may be related also to the display resolution. Need to ask admins there about this.
Last Edit:07 Apr 2020 21:54 by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, RgVideo

Replied by ericlnz on topic Stretch video when rendering (MSP16)?

Posted 07 Apr 2020 22:02 #7

FayFen wrote: If your images are 4:3 you better keep them as such, why you think "fatter wider" objects are fine?

Some folk don't like letterboxing or pillarboxing so stretch everything out to fill their TV screen! Personally I consider it an insult to show people wider than they really are. The worst is when 4:3 is stretched out to 16:9 Yuck!
Last Edit:07 Apr 2020 22:03 by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by vkmast on topic Stretch video when rendering (MSP16)?

Posted 07 Apr 2020 23:35 #8
@RgVideo

You may need to use workarounds until the posting issue is fixed, hopefully soon.
Last Edit:08 Apr 2020 01:18 by vkmast

Replied by RgVideo on topic Stretch video when rendering (MSP16)?

Posted 08 Apr 2020 03:01 #9
Thanks for the additional replies and tips!

@ericlnz & @FayFen : Re fatter people, if I use the pan/crop preset of "16:9 widescreen" on a 4:3 the people aren't fatter. It appears to just zoom in and crop the top and bottom. Since all my stills are scenery related, the cropping doesn't usually cause a problem.

@vkmast : Many thanks for letting me know that my problem with posting on the official MSP forum isn't due to me forgetting how. :)
Last Edit:09 Apr 2020 18:19 by RgVideo
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Stretch video when rendering (MSP16)?

Posted 09 Apr 2020 18:21 #10
I'll chuck in my 2 cents worth.

Never stretch a still image to make it full screen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is an abomination to even consider doing this.
If you want to make an image full screen, you must zoom in to crop it.

p.s.
Also remember to turn your Phone sideways to record video OR turn all the TVs in your house on their sides.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:09 Apr 2020 18:23 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.892 seconds