VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Movie Studio 17 Platinum Stops Rendering when using Intel graphics

I've Got the same issue.

Getting the following error message

Rendering stops almost immediately, I've tried

• No GPU Acceleration
  • Intel Acceleration &
  • AMD Acceleration
With no joy.

I have recently updated to 17 (from 16) and uninstalled 16 after installing 17, could this cause any issues?

I'm running a Dell Inspiron laptop with an Intel Core i7 8th Gen with AMD Radeon 530 Graphics along side the built in Intel UHD 620

This is the first thing I've tried to render since installing. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Richard
Last Edit:08 Jul 2020 07:03 by Richiev4
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ok

So switched to the MainConcept renderer, and while it's a lot slower - it's working.

Could there be a bug in the Intel renderer?

Rich

*Moderator Edit: I have moved your messages into it's own forum thread, because the person in original thread has not replied yet and I don't want to create confusion between different situations.

The error message is telling you what is most likely causing the problem.
There is something about the type of video you have imported into your project, that is causing a conflict and crash.
I've been rendering many different types of video with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 17 and have not experienced any crashes during rendering so far.

Before we get to your video, make sure to check the following...
AMD Radeon graphics and Intel QSV is fully compatible with the Magix AVC/AAC encoder.
That being said, when people have a choice between AMD Radeon graphics and Intel graphics OR Nvidia graphics and Intel graphics, I would recommend setting your GPU to AMD Radeon or Nvidia (for people using Nvidia).

Go to Options/Preferences/Video - GPU Acceleration
Stop setting to Intel and only use AMD Radeon or set to Off.
Most of the time, AMD Radeon should work OK.

Also make sure you have the latest AMD Radeon Drivers installed !
This is very important, because old drivers are probably full of bugs.
www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-500-series/radeon-530

I have an in-depth tutorial for how to render with MAGIX AVC/AAC here - I recommend you read this in full.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/650-how-to-render-video-vegas-movie-studio-17

Your video source
What type of video is in your project ?
Where did it come from ?
Did is come from a Mobile Phone ?

I would like you to use a free app called MediaInfo and upload a report for your video, that will tell me about it's properties.
This guide will tell you what to do, and then you can upload a data report for the video, that will give me important information.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/miscellaneous-help-tutorials/640-how-to-use-mediainfo-app

I can comment more once I get some data from you.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Hi Rich,

Along with what our Illustrious Doc has already provided, I checked the AMD web site, and you should be using the Adrenaline 20.4.2 WHQL drivers for Windows 10 64-Bit. But, you also mentioned it being a Dell Inspiron laptop, so I would check their support site for your particular laptop, and verify those AMD Drivers, and grab the updated Intel Graphics driver as well. Dell has a notorious history of "not playing well with others", in that they like to take the OEM drivers, and give them the "Old Dell Twist".

Follow Derek's suggestion(s) from his post, first though, including the MediaInfo for the source files. If he or others here on the Forum can't see something wrong, you can also post on the Vegas Forums site, where there is an abundant amount of help and knowledge available.

And thanks for being a part of the Community here! :)

Happy Editing!

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Hi

I've updated the AMD Drivers - No joy

Questions answered....Taken from the first clip in the timeline
Your video source
What type of video is in your project ? Video: 00:00:28.562, 29.970 fps progressive, 2720x1530x12, AVC
Where did it come from ? Mavic Mini
Did is come from a Mobile Phone ? No

I'm off to try and update the Intel graphics

Thanks
Richard

Hi

MediaInfo file uploaded.

Just a thought - I did use the proxy method to edit the video, swapping out the low res and hi res files before rendering. This wouldn't cause an issue? Would it?

Thanks
Richard
Attachments:

Thanks for the info !

I have never used video from a DJI Mavic drone, so that may possibly be the cause of the problem.
Some types of videos may not decode/encode properly.
To find out if the Mavic video format is causing the problem, you need to do this experiment.

Part 1
Do 2 tests of this experiment.
1. First test: Go to Options/Preferences/Video - GPU Acceleration = AMD Radeon
If experiment #1 fails, try #2.
2. Second test: Go to Options/Preferences/Video - GPU Acceleration = OFF (remember to reboot Vegas to accept changes).

Start a new test project and import one video from your Mavic Mini.
You can edit it down to just 10 seconds for the test.
Make sure you let Vegas automatically match the Project Properties to the videos properties when you import to the timeline.
Your Project Properties should look exactly like this after the import.

Save the project file and then go directly to Project/Render As
Use Magix AVC/AAC - Internet HD 1080p 29.97 fps
Don't use Intel QSV or AMD VCE - the plain template will use your CPU only to render the video.

Part 2
If both experiments fail, you need to convert your video using Handbrake before importing into Vegas MSP17.
This is the best thing to do when Vegas can't decode a unique video format, because it will convert it into a format that will definitely work in Vegas.
Most people that record videos with a mobile phone use this method, because mobile phone video uses a variable Frame Rate that doesn't work in Vegas.
You only have to follow the basic instructions in this tutorial.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/miscellaneous-help-tutorials/595-handbrake-v1-1-1-beginners-guide-for-best-video-export-settings

So you don't loose quality, I recommend you use these settings in the Video window of Handbrake.
After you select the Production Proxy 1080p template, the video dimensions in the Dimensions tab will change to 1920x1080.
If you want to keep your video at the original resolution, manually change back to 2720x1530.
Then you can SAVE this a new Custom Preset to use again in the future, and then it will stay at 2720x1530.

Part 3
Start another new test project and import the video converted with Handbrake.
Set it up the same as before and try both GPU Acceleration settings.
If my gut feeling is correct, it should OK this time.

Proxy video creation
Are you using the inbuilt Proxy creation tool in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 17 ?
OR
Are you using the old method I taught many years ago, where you the user manually switches out the videos before rendering ?

If you don't know about the inbuilt Vegas proxy creation tool, read/watch this:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/553-sony-vegas-zen-tips-3-preview-lag
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:08 Jul 2020 13:58 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Hi

Tried a new project with the 'plain' render template and it ll worked fine (see screen shots), I've also tried rendering the original project using the 'plain' template and that worked as well (at the full resolution).

I'm beginning to think that the AMD graphics card is incompatible (it is a mobile version) :(, I think I'll just need to render slowly - more cups of coffee.....

Do you want me to upload one of my clips?

Thanks again
Richard
Last Edit:08 Jul 2020 19:26 by Richiev4
Attachments:

It sounds like this case is closed.
It may be some weird problem that only effects your model laptop.
Some of these laptop designs use custom configs which are limited compared to Desktop computer architecture.

I know that people using the latest AMD Radeon desktop graphics cards, are reporting they work OK in the latest versions of Vegas Movie Studio and Vegas Pro.
Example: AMD RX 580, RX 590, RX 5600 XT, RX 5700 XT
I have no reports on your slightly older AMD mobile graphics.
AMD is making big strides at the moment and I think the next generation of Graphics Cards and Drivers will be on par with Nvidia.
They already have the best CPUs for video editing now! AMD Ryzen is the new king of multi-core CPUs.
Their new APUs for mobile (CPU and GPU on same chip) are looking to be extremely good and very power efficient - should blow Intel out of the water.

Intel Graphics seem to be the most problematic.
Nvidia is the best.

You can't upload videos to the forum - the server doesn't support large files.
I have set a maximum file size limit of 3MBs per upload for images and project files.

I wouldn't mind getting a small sample from your Mavic Drone, just for private testing purposes.
Upload to a file sharing site like Google Drive (which is free) and then send me the download link via a private email.
help@moviestudiozen.com
Last Edit:08 Jul 2020 20:48 by DoctorZen

HI

SO was messing around with the render settings and switched to Magix HEVC/AAC MP4, from Magix AVC/AAC MP4, and it all renders using the Intel QSV acceleration.

Happy Days

R
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.840 seconds