VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Minimum RAM for Vegas Movie studio.

• pioneer
  • pioneer's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5
  • Thank you received: 34

Minimum RAM for Vegas Movie studio. was created by pioneer

Posted 02 Jan 2021 00:41 #1
My wife was using Serif MoviePlusX6 intermittently for converting/editing family VOB files.  Her laptop crashed and has been fixed.  However we are now facing a dilemma of whether to reinstall MoviePlusX6 or go for upgrading to Vegas Moviestudio.  her laptop has an intel(R)core(Tm) I5-6200U CPU @ 2.30Ghz 2.4Ghz Installed Ram 8Gb.  Will her laptop be able to run Movie Studio Ok as I read that 16Gb of ram is recommeded for movie studio.  Cheers John
Please be aware that NSA/GCHQ are probably admiring my comments and sent images.
Last Edit:09 Jan 2021 21:00 by pioneer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Minimum RAM for Vegas Movie studio.

Posted 02 Jan 2021 10:06 #2
It probably will if Vikki is not using 4K. I currently use VMS17 Plat on a weaker system than her laptop.

But download the 30 day trial and find out for yourself how it runs on the laptop.
Last Edit:02 Jan 2021 10:50 by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Minimum RAM for Vegas Movie studio.

Posted 02 Jan 2021 10:50 #3
I second Eric's comment.

16GBs+ would be better, but for light 1080p projects, 8GBs should work OK as long as you don't have other programs open at the same time.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Jan 2021 10:51 by DoctorZen

• pioneer
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Replied by pioneer on topic Minimum RAM for Vegas Movie studio.

Posted 02 Jan 2021 20:28 #4
Thank you both.  Will download later and give it a try.
Cheers John
Please be aware that NSA/GCHQ are probably admiring my comments and sent images.
by pioneer

• pioneer
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Posted 03 Jan 2021 02:39 #5
Update on this.  Downloaded Vegas Movie studio Platinium 17 (trial).  Vob file loads but no audio.  Converted the vob in VLC to MP4 (Video H.264+mp3 (MP4) but Vegas sadly says unrecognised format. Both the original VOB play along with the converted MP4 file play ok (video and audio)  in VLC and windows media player.  So I give up unless anybody has a suggestion.  Cheers John
by pioneer

Posted 03 Jan 2021 10:24 #6
John, search on the Vegas forum and you will find several threads on this annoying problem. It's a codec licensing issues and possibly may not get resolved soon if ever?

Does the latest build of Vegas Pro 18 have the same problem? Oops it appears vob/mpg have the same problem with Pro www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/mpg-clips-will-only-import-video-and-not-audio--124988/

by ericlnz

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Minimum RAM for Vegas Movie studio.

Posted 03 Jan 2021 13:37 #7
Summary for anyone else that may read this in the future.

Vegas Creative Software (Magix) has dropped support for AC-3 audio in MPEG and VOB files, after updates were applied to Vegas Pro 18 and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 17.

Official statement posted by one of the lead developers of Vegas said this:

Mpeg files, which is a less frequently used older format, use a main concept decoder which requires a different audio decoder to handle its AC3 audio than mts and m2ts media. We are no longer able to use that decoder. We are looking at routing this through a new demuxer so the audio would be available again, but for now we are recommending transcoding files of this type.

Please note that this problem mainly affects only older Standard Definition video.
Typically this type of older video came from Standard Definition video cameras or was ripped from DVDs.
.mts and .m2ts High Definition videos are not affected by this problem.

Solution for problem
Transcode .mpeg or .vob videos using a video conversion program, so that they use a different audio format that is not AC-3 audio.
There are literally 100's of video conversion programs you could use, but my choice would be Handbrake.
I have an in-depth tutorial on how to use Handbrake here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/miscellaneous-help-tutorials/595-handbrake-v1-1-1-beginners-guide-for-best-video-export-settings

My personal thoughts
It's a shame the developers did not implement an alternate solution before deleting this important function.
I don't think they realized just how many people are editing old family videos with all versions of Vegas - many home video editors work with a lot of old archived video.
I really hope they fix this problem quickly and don't let it drag out for years and just forget about it.
It's already causing lots of unnecessary confusion.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Jan 2021 13:43 by DoctorZen

Posted 03 Jan 2021 15:22 #8
Well said Derek.

It appears it's only AC3 that uses Dolby that's the problem which is what the MC codec used.

I've just been working on some very old vob files. No problem with audio as they have mpeg audio .
by ericlnz

• pioneer
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5

Posted 03 Jan 2021 21:49 #9
Well thank for the update people.
I have posted a question in the Vegas movie studio forum about reinstalling the licensed copy of MS14 I have and wheteher I/we can use the VOB Audio and Video in this version.
Will await a reply, as its Sunday I dont expect a reply straight away.  Cheers Guys.
by pioneer

Replied by vkmast on topic Minimum RAM for Vegas Movie studio.

Posted 03 Jan 2021 23:08 #10
A good summary of this codec issue from the good Doctor. As Eric said, the licensing must have become a (sudden) obstacle (as "[they] are no longer able to use that decoder").

@pioneer
I have (e.g.) VMSP 14 still installed and it accepts AC-3. As your case would be a reinstall, I am not sure that you'll get the same. AFAIK that codec cannot be activated currently any more.
In my reply to you on the VCS forum I suggested you try reinstalling to find out.
Last Edit:03 Jan 2021 23:21 by vkmast

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.875 seconds