VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Why doesn't my .wav file play right when I put it in the timeline?

My .wav file plays fine in the player on my computer, but when I drop it into the Vegas Pro timeline it is choppy. I tried converting it to the same .wav format in Wondershare--it plays fine then, except the original file is 127MB and 6144kbps and the converted file is only 31.9MB and 1536 kbps. I have tried changing project properties and preferences to better match the original, but it is still choppy when playing on the timeline.

Suggestions? Thank you so much.
Last Edit:22 Jul 2018 12:41 by Nashville Side Streets

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Nashville Side Streets,

I'm not much good on audio diagnosis, but......could you post a screen shot of the specs of your source wav file with Mediainfo in 'text' mode. Also could you post a screen shot of your 'Audio Device' in Vegas Pro......go to 'Options' then 'Preferences...', then click on the 'Audio Devices' tab and capture a screen shot of that setting window.

I'm not familiar with your application 'Wondershare', but the free application 'Audacity' will export to 6144 kbps (32 bit).

Note: Mediainfo and Audacity are both free to download and use. If you are not familiar, pay attention to the downloads, they often come with semi hidden extras you do not need, so watch for check boxes offering other stuff!!
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:22 Jul 2018 07:59 by Eagle Six

Hi Nashville. As you’ve discovered the 6,144kbps files, being low compression, are quite large and it may just come down to how much grunt your PC has - particularly if the processor is also dealing with large and/or multiple video tracks with effects. Does the audio play OK in the final rendered clip?
Cheers, Robbie
by Robbie

There's obviously something weird going on with this Wave file, because Vegas Pro should be able to handle it OK.

Here is another test you could try.
Import the original .wav file into a new project in Vegas Pro - nothing else.
Go to Render As
Select Sony Wave64 - 96000 kHz, 32 bit (iEEE Float), Stereo, PCM (float)
Make sure to select the correct output folder location, so you know where the file will end up.
Render audio file.
Now import new .WAV file back into Vegas - does it work OK now ?

I did the same thing on my computer with a regular audio file from my music library.
This is what Vegas produced and what MediaInfo reports - this looks pretty similar to your original .WAV file.
mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:22 Jul 2018 13:01 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Thank you for your thoughts and comments. I first tried the Sony Wave64 rendering trick--which didn't work.
I was about to try downloading Audacity after starting all over with a new Vegas project several times and dragging the file in--which also didn't work. So I ignored the problem for awhile and began putting a couple video tracks in. Then Ronnie came home and dragged the original into that--well, it plays just great, with no problem.....Sometimes computers drive me nuts and I have to take Dr. Zen's advice:
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace

Thank you all for your time and helpfulness.
Nancy
Last Edit:24 Jul 2018 19:08 by Nashville Side Streets

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.860 seconds