VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved BluRay rendering templates

• BobH
  • BobH's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 23

BluRay rendering templates was created by BobH

Posted 21 Mar 2018 22:40 #1
Hi to you all.
I shoot video in AVCHD 50p. When I complete a project I render at HD 50p for archive but also render to create a BluRay disc. My question is about the best template to use so the BluRay disc looks the best on my HD TV. I can render an AVC file using the Sony 1920x1080 50i template. This retains the 1920x1080 format but is now only 25 frames per second. I can render an mp4 file using the Sony 1280x720 50p template. This reduces the size to 1280x720 but retains the 50p progressive format. Also my TV should upscale this to full HD. Do you have a preference and which, in your opinion, would produce the better picture on a HD TV.

Thanks all
BobH
by BobH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic BluRay rendering templates

Posted 22 Mar 2018 10:12 #2
Hi Bob

This is something you can only decide for yourself, because everyone has their own preferences.
Modern Smart TVs do seem to do extremely well at upscaling lower resolution video images to 1080p and 4K.

The general rule is this:
If the subject matter is fast moving, like sport, motor sport or fast moving objects, rendering to 1280x720-50p will look better.
If the subject matter is more static and contains lots of detail, 1920x1080-50i (25) is a better choice.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:25 Mar 2018 00:41 by DoctorZen

• BobH
  • BobH's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by BobH on topic BluRay rendering templates

Posted 23 Mar 2018 03:23 #3
Hello Derek and thank you once again for your prompt reply. I guess I might try both and see how they work out.

My only other comment is that when footage is shaky, perhaps if shot on a boat in heavy seas, I will use Mercalli version 4 to stabilize the video. I have found that if I down convert the original footage from 50p to 50i for BluRay then often footage is still shaky. That is why I have used 1280 by 720 in the past to retain the 50p and it has often been much better. This was when I was using Mercalli version 2 on the timeline. Now with Mercalli version 4 I usually take all my shaky footage and batch convert it to mp4 first and then import this stabilised footage to the timeline. This seems to work rather better.

Thanks again
BobH
Last Edit:23 Mar 2018 09:30 by BobH
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.320 seconds