VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Choosing the right camera.

Choosing the right camera. was created by Eagle eye.

Posted 03 Jan 2017 07:41 #1
I have had an HXR-NX70 for some years now and have been thinking of a replacement. At the time I bought it, it was the first camera to record to an SD card (no rotating heads). This has been a good camera. However I would like to have a camera that uses the XAVC codec and has a proper variable zoom rocker not my current two speed type. Although I will probably archive in 1920x1080 50p but I would like to leave the option open for 4K acquisition & delivery in the future. The two cameras I believe would be worthy are the FDR-AX100 & the PXW-X70.
If any of the forum members have purchased one of these I would be interested to hear their experiences. With the PXW-X70 I see it has a number of 'picture profiles' how useful are they in the field? Those and any other inputs to help me decide would be appreciated. This camera will be used on road trip videos, holidays and the odd wedding etc. I am not a professional, just a retired video enthusiast

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Choosing the right camera.

Posted 03 Jan 2017 13:55 #2
Hi Eagle Eye

I'm still learning how to use my Sony A7s. When I get the settings right with this camera in video mode, the results are stunning.
If I had money to burn, I would love to check out the FDR-AX100, as a run and gun camera.

I have no experience with the cameras you mentioned, but recommend you read all the reviews left at B&H for these models. I have found that reviews on B&H are more accurate and level headed. Many reviews on Amazon are just made by trolls and are unreliable.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022653-REG/sony_fdrax100_b_hdr_ax100_full_hd_handycam.html
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072752-REG/sony_pxw_x70_professional_xdcam_compact.html

Since this is an important purchase for you, what you could do is rent both models over 2 weekends and do thorough testing.
I have rented camera gear a few times and it is a great way to get your hands on what you want.

I have been following film maker Philip Bloom and Dave Dugdale for many years now.
Both of these guys use Sony cameras extensively and have spoken about the different Picture Profiles.
You can do a Google search and find what people have to say about them.
Currently I am using PP4.

Derek :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Jan 2017 13:58 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle eye.

Replied by Eagle eye. on topic Choosing the right camera.

Posted 05 Jan 2017 09:21 #3
Well Derek I have made my choice mainly influenced by this excellent 'You Tube' video
This camera has all the functions I need and has an excellent picture because of the XAVCS codec in 4K or HD 50p. The cost was important and the small form factor. This cam body is very the same size as my NX70p (without the XLR handle) and uses the same batteries. If I was going to spend the money for the PXW-X70 with the 4K upgrade I think I would rather the Panasonic HC-X1 what a great spec!! But in the end reason prevailed, you have to really think of what it will be used for and how cost effective the purchase will be. Thanks for your comment and all the best with the A7S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Choosing the right camera.

Posted 05 Jan 2017 10:33 #4
I would still like to try out this camera myself !
Have fun :)

One thing I do recommend, is that you get fast SDXC memory cards that record at 95 Mbps or higher.
2 cards that I own and use are:
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1071443-REG/sony_sf64uz_tqn_64gb_sdhs_uhs_1_u3.html
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1282965-REG/sandisk_sdsdxxg_064g_gn4in_extremepro_sdhc_64gb.html
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:11 Jan 2017 23:11 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle eye.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.823 seconds