VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved 4K equipment

4K equipment was created by John, new to editing

Posted 11 Feb 2017 15:53 #1
I know all the talk is about 4K and how the pictures are great! I even purchased a 4K tv recently and there are 4K cameras out there (GoPro, Sony) but they are more of the "action" cams. I have not seen 'prosumer' type cameras on the market yet. So my questions are this..1) how can you transfer 4K video to a recordable media (i.e. Bluray) so they show up on the tv as 4K? 2) is there editing/burning software and hardware that can accomplish this? And finally, 3) are there 4k players out there yet that you can hook up to the 4K tv to watch your 4K edited videos? (This is related to question 2).

It seems that the TV's are taking the first step and jumping ahead but the other software and related hardware seem to be taking a long time to get to the consumer. Is it in the works or will it be available only for professionals and out of reach for regular consumers? I figured you folks would have the answers!!!

Thanks for any info you may have!
John, new to editing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic 4K equipment

Posted 11 Feb 2017 17:35 #2
Hi John

There is no way for the consumer to create 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs yet. At the moment, the manufacturers are not supporting the burning of 4K content to 4K discs, like you would create a DVD or Blu-ray disc.

If you are creating 4K video content, here are the options that exist right now:
1. Render 4K video and upload to YouTube or Vimeo, then use apps to live stream content direct to TV.
*You must have a fast Internet connection to stream 4K content.

2. After rendering your 4K video and saving to your Hard Drive, you could then copy the 4K video to a USB 3.0 flash drive and plug this into your TV.

3. The method I use is to Stream the 4K video direct from my computer's Hard Drive over the home Wi-Fi Network and onto the TV. This really is the best way to watch all the content from your computer.

To stream 4K video from your computer to your TV, you will need the following:
1. A fast wireless modem/router, that uses the latest Wi-Fi protocols.
802.11n is what I recommend for streaming large 4K video files.
www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005725.html

2. On your computer, there are some technical settings that need to be configured.
You need to make sure the folder your Videos folder is being shared to everyone, so that TV has access.
You also need to turn on Media Streaming inside Windows Control Panel/Network & Sharing Center/Advanced Sharing settings.

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by Eagle Six on topic 4K equipment

Posted 12 Feb 2017 04:08 #3
Hi John,

On the heels of Dr. Zen's reply, which is a far better explanation than I could offer, I would like to add about 4K camera availability. The exact breaking point between 'consumer', 'prosumer', and 'professional' will very between users. For me 'consumer' cameras start at the bottom and go up to about $800-$1,000 (USD). 'prosumer' cameras start at about $1,000 and go up to around $8,000. Then the 'professional' cameras run from that $8,000 dollar mark up to and exceed $100,000. With those marks in mind, there are many 4K 'prosumer' cameras available and they are being added pretty fast especially in the high 'consumer' range to the low 'prosumer' range.

I have a Panasonic GH4 mirrorless 4/3 4K camera which is priced in around $1,200. These will drop in price shortly when Panasonic releases the new GH5. I think Sony offers their line of mirrorless 4K cameras running from a bit less than $1,000 through about $3,000. There are some 4K camcorders available starting for under $1,000 and then up. So, it's not just the little action cams, which in my opinion are 'consumer' grade both because of the price and mostly because they lack the features most often found in 'prosumer' grade camera and/or camcorder.

As for the TV's offering 4K and the industry not offering a means to produce 4K on disc, I think it is an industry way of breaking the market into higher resolution home viewing. TV manufactures aligned with movie streaming service back when HD was the standard. Because of advancing the transmission bandwidth of streaming services, those streaming services were the answer for TV manufacturers to open the home market offering moderate priced units for home theatres.

For me, there is not much difference from a high quality HD video and a 4K video as viewed on our modern flat screen TV's with the latest upscaling capability. That is, from what most of us can produce from our cameras, NLE software, computers and then on to the TV, whether that media be burned onto disc or played from a thumb drive or streamed from a home media network server. Where the big difference comes from is the difference Hollywood can make in special effect using computer generated graphics, which can easily begin at 8K, then down scaled for 4K production. This isn't something the general consumer is willing or capable of doing, but they are interested in biting off the cost by purchasing a 4K TV, then the small price of occasionally buying a 4K movie from perhaps Netflex for Friday night viewing.

The TV manufacturers desperately want to severe ties to a physical distribution media such as disc and embrace the direct streaming of media. This brings the product to market much faster, much cheaper, and much more modern for the current market. Of course there is more to the scheme, and this is just my opinion.

For me, I am shooting in 4K, producing in HD, and stream to my 1080p TV. Someday I probably will replace the 1080p TV with a 4K. But for now the quality is satisfactory. Unless I move I will never stream any media via a service like NetFlex. I'm off grid, and my network connection is via cell service, so I'm stuck with the low bandwidth!!
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by John, new to editing on topic 4K equipment

Posted 13 Feb 2017 08:10 #4
Thanks to both Dr. Zen and George!

Both are very informative and very helpful! There is obviously a lot to read about and the technology is constantly changing. Going by the cost of the cameras, I'll think I'll hold off on anything for now and just continue to use my Canon Vixia HV 40 and edit with the Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 Platinum Production Suite.

Again, thanks to the both you for all your assistance!

John, new to editing
Last Edit:17 Feb 2017 22:57 by John, new to editing

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.718 seconds