VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Windows 10 updates

Windows 10 updates was created by kiwihans

Posted 01 Jun 2017 08:12 #1
I am a volunteer tutor for our local Senior Net organisation. We are based in a learning centre and we have 6 computers for students to work with.
Our courses usually run for 2 hours each. Lately we are experiencing interruptions with Windows 10 updates. eg: we want to start a lesson, but immediately a Windows update stops us starting the lesson. Every PC comes to a grinding halt - every action freezes until the updates are completed. This is not desirable as we are loosing class time!

I have downloaded a setting with which we can set our active hours so updates cannot happen during the hours we are teaching. The learning centre has no persons on site if there are no lessons taking place. So, how can updates take place when no-one is on site?
We have tried putting our PC's into sleep mode instead of turning them off. Will updates still be loaded while the sleep mode is on? If not, is there another way of tackling this issue?
Last Edit:06 Jan 2018 07:09 by kiwihans

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Windows 10 updates

Posted 01 Jun 2017 13:04 #2
Hi Hans

I have never experienced a problem like this on my own Windows 10 computer, when I boot up each day, so I don't understand why your 6 computers are behaving this way?

Is the actual problem a bottleneck with the Internet connection coming into these 6 computers?
If the 6 computers sharing the same modem, all started to download large update files at the same time, I could understand that being a problem.

The only time I have seen Windows 10 go slow and lock up computer time, is when you shut down the computer and it starts to install the Windows Updates.

How have you configured this setting in Windows 10 Update?
This may influence what is going on.

You might get a answer on one of the Windows 10 Forums?
www.tenforums.com/windows-10-forums/
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

Replied by kiwihans on topic Windows 10 updates

Posted 01 Jun 2017 13:26 #3
Thanks for the prompt reply! I think the 6 computers are sharing the same modem. I will check this out next week. There are times when the computers are not all in use. I presume that those computers will then do uploading from the modem when they are next turned on. We have all 6 machines linked to the tutors PC but they can also be individually be unlinked if not being used. The linking is by way of a HDMI cable. I think your suggestion is worth looking into - good suggestion!

Replied by ericlnz on topic Windows 10 updates

Posted 01 Jun 2017 14:40 #4
Windows updates aren't that frequent. Mainly the morning of the second Wednesday of the month here in NZ for the monthly updates. In between any other updates are usually minor and not noticed. They often don't even require a reboot.

I wonder if you are receiving the large Creators Version update. I've yet to receive it but have noticed recently that on occasions my pc has been sluggish temporarily as if Windows is up to something in the background.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, kiwihans

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Windows 10 updates

Posted 01 Jun 2017 15:52 #5

I wonder if you are receiving the large Creators Version update.

I think you may be onto something there Eric :idea:
If 6 computers tried to download that file at the same time, it could potentially take more than 5 hours to download.
Just one computer can take a few hours to completely download and install that update.

Personally, I manually installed the Creators update, to avoid a long a drawn out process.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:01 Jun 2017 15:56 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: kiwihans

Replied by ericlnz on topic Windows 10 updates

Posted 01 Jun 2017 21:19 #6
Out of interest I clicked on the 'Yes, show me how' link on my updates page which opened a MS web page. I note it says:

'When the update is ready for your device, you'll receive a notification asking you to review your privacy settings before downloading the update.'

So it would seem I'll get notification when it wants to download. I'm in no hurry.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: kiwihans

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.958 seconds