VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How can I best utilize the new SONY 4K FDR-AX100 camera.

I would like to buy the AX100 camera if I thought I could make and store 4K holiday video and slideshows. The new SONY Movie Studio Platinum 13 software appears to be able to edit the footage, and even create 4K slideshows? How do we currently store and play this technology? I visited a store lately and was told that a 4K loop video could be put on a USB flash drive and plugged into the back of the 4K tele. Maybe this would be OK for a slideshow but no good for a holiday video. Can you help me understand what I could best archive with that camera? :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How can I best utilize the new SONY 4K FDR-AX100 camera.

Posted 29 Jul 2014 13:37 #2
Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 can definitely edit and create 4K video from the Sony AX100.
You would store 4K video just like normal 1080p video, on a Hard Drive.

I would guess that a USB 2.0 flash drive might be way too slow to stream 4K video on a 4K TV.
You would have to check with the specifications for the 4K TV.
I would like to think that a 4K TV would support USB 3.0, which is a lot faster.
It would probably also come with a SDHC/SDXC Memory Card slot - exactly like the AX100 uses.
So the best way to watch your 4K video would be to send it back to the SDHC card and then connect it directly to the TV.
OR
Connect the SDHC or SDXC card back into the camera and then connect the AX100 camera to the TV.
Then you can playback through the camera.

Ask someone at a Sony Store for more details.

I just checked the details for the Sony AX100 on B&H.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022653-REG/sony_fdrax100_b_hdr_ax100_full_hd_handycam.html
It indicates that you need to use: SDXC Class 10 cards are required for UHD 4K and HD X-AVC S formats.
Movie Studio Platinum 13 renders 4K video to the X-AVC S format.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by Eagle eye. on topic How can I best utilize the new SONY 4K FDR-AX100 camera.

Posted 30 Jul 2014 08:05 #3
Thanks Derek, I just wanted a knowledgeable opinion on the subject. I think in hindsight that 1080p video is easier & cheaper to create and the quality is very good indeed. I think 4K is still too new and at the moment mainly for the pro's whom I am not, cheers.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How can I best utilize the new SONY 4K FDR-AX100 camera.

Posted 30 Jul 2014 12:57 #4
I have been thinking about the same topic and camera actually.
It is probably better to wait a while until 4K becomes more widely used.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by DanK on topic How can I best utilize the new SONY 4K FDR-AX100 camera.

Posted 03 Dec 2016 13:20 #5
Good point, technology changes incredibly quickly...
1080P/60 still will get you stunning video footage
by DanK

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.877 seconds