VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved AVCHD Camcorder vs. DSLR Camera (Which one should I buy?)

I'm looking at purchasing a new video camera for shooting events, weddings, and some short films. I currently use the Sony HDR-CX110 Handycam AVCHD Camcorder that shoots in Full HD 1080i and shoots great outdoors but shoots terrible in low light and captures horrible audio. It doesn't have a mic jack or s headphone jack. I'm looking for a camera that has a audio jack and that shoots better in low light. I don't know if I should go with a AVCHD Camcorder or a DSLR. What are your suggestions? Let me know in the comment section below.
PC SPECS:
Intel i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz
16GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (2GB)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

EDITING:
Vegas Pro 12
DVD Architect Pro 6
Sound Forge Pro 11
HitFilm 2 Ultimate

VIDEO EQUIPMENT:
Canon Vixia HF S20
Sony HDR-CX110

AUDIO:
ZOOM H1
Rode VideoMic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic AVCHD Camcorder vs. DSLR Camera (Which one should I buy?)

Posted 18 Aug 2014 18:03 #2
Hi there

I don't know if you noticed, but a few weeks ago I created an Amazon Store for Movie Studio Zen.
In here I have listed my recommendations for best quality and value Audio Visual Equipment and Software.
The different models I am about to talk about are listed in the different categories of Cameras, Video Cameras and Microphones.
www.moviestudiozen.com/store/amazon-gear-store-usa

Video Cameras are easier to use than DSLR Cameras, however DSLR cameras do give you a better quality image.
A DSLR is also going to be more expensive, because you need to buy good lenses to get the most out of the camera.
That all been said, here are my top recommendations.

Video Camera options:
Best value and image performance in Video Cameras = Canon Vixia HF G20
If you have more money to spend, look at Canon Vixia HF G30 - this model has higher grade recording modes.
If you want more Pro level cameras, look at XA10 and XA25

DSLR Camera options:
I only have one option for DSLR cameras, because this model has the best features for shooting video.
Canon 70D
The 70D has the best auto focus system for shooting video, which makes it a winner.
You can start with a Kit Lense, however if you want really good low light performance I would recommend spending the extra money on a good quality, highly versatile Zoom Lens. There is one particular model which is a real stand out performer.
Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
This lens has incredible low light performance, a very quiet motor and very sharp image.

All the cameras I have mentioned come with the important Microphone Jack.
I have listed some very good Rode Microphones to add to whatever camera you decide on in my Amazon Store.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:25 Sep 2014 00:22 by DoctorZen

What kind of video camera do you use? And what exact brand and model do you use? Do you use a camcorder or DSLR? And does your video camera have a mic input? I noticed that you use the Rode VideoMic on some of your videos on YouTube. Do you use that for sync audio or do you record audio directly in the video camera? I'm on a really tight budget right now and I'm still in college and I don't have a lot of money. Does the Canon VIXIA HF R500 have a mic input? Can you really notice a huge difference between a 1/3" CMOS sensor camera and a 1/4" CMOS sensor camera in low light situations compared to a DSLR like the Canon EOS Rebel T3i with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens? Is there really a huge difference? My video camera has a 1/4" CMOS sensor. I noticed that the Canon VIXIA HF G20 has a 1/3" CMOS Pro Sensor but is there a really huge difference in video quality? Is there a way I can match up the video quality in post-production with Video FX added? I do plan on buying Vegas Pro 12 Suite which is going to cost me a lot of my money. What are your suggestions?
PC SPECS:
Intel i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz
16GB of RAM

EDITING:
Vegas Pro 12
DVD Architect Pro 6
Sound Forge Pro 11
HitFilm 2 Ultimate

VIDEO EQUIPMENT:
Canon Vixia HF S20
Sony HDR-CX110

AUDIO:
ZOOM H1
Rode VideoMic

Replied by DoctorZen on topic AVCHD Camcorder vs. DSLR Camera (Which one should I buy?)

Posted 13 Sep 2014 01:51 #4
I have just answered your newer questions on another post.
I definitely think you should get a DSLR camera.
T3i is a great choice.

I have many Video Cameras - Canon and Sony.
I will be buying a new DSLR camera very soon - still can't decide on which model to get.
Looking at Canon 70D or Sony A77ii.

You definitely need to use an external microphone.
A Zoom H1 is great for a starter Microphone.
I use a Rode Video Mic - fantastic microphone that has a great sound and is good at working from a distance.
www.rodemic.com/microphones/videomic

All my cameras have Microphone Inputs - very important - a must !

I normally record direct into the camera using the Rode Video Mic.

The main thing you can do to match different video types in Vegas, is to add lots of Colour Correction.
This is something that requires time and patience to learn.

I will leave it at that for now.

Regards
Derek :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Can I plug the Rode VideoMic into the Zoom H1 and record directly into the Zoom H1? I do plan on buying a DSLR in the near future. I just don't have the money right now. I do plan on applying for some student grants so I can have more money.
PC SPECS:
Intel i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz
16GB of RAM

EDITING:
Vegas Pro 12
DVD Architect Pro 6
Sound Forge Pro 11
HitFilm 2 Ultimate

VIDEO EQUIPMENT:
Canon Vixia HF S20
Sony HDR-CX110

AUDIO:
ZOOM H1
Rode VideoMic

Posted 15 Sep 2014 17:18 #6
Yes, the Rode Video Mic has a 3.5mm plug which can be connected directly into the Mic/Line Input jack for the Zoom H1.
www.zoom.co.jp/products/h1/spec/
The Rode Video Mic runs off a 9 volt square battery.
So if you connect this to the H1, make sure phantom power is turned OFF.

One extra item I recommend you get with this microphone is the VC1 Extension cable.
www.rodemic.com/accessories/vc1

The Mini Tripod Stand is also very handy to get the mic as close to the talent as possible.
www.rodemic.com/accessories/tripod

Posted 20 Sep 2014 00:35 #7
Here is a great little video you should watch.
It will explains how to record some good audio with different Rode Microphones.
Last Edit:25 Sep 2014 00:22 by DoctorZen

Hey Derek so I recently purchased a Rode VideoMic along with my Zoom H1 and I have some questions about audio levels and audio settings with the Zoom H1. What are the best audio settings and audio levels should I use when recording audio from the Rode VideoMic directly into the Zoom H1?

And what audio settings should I have on the Rode VideoMic? What audio levels should I use? Should I use 80Hz? What are your suggestions? Please let me know in the comment section below.
PC SPECS:
Intel i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz
16GB of RAM

EDITING:
Vegas Pro 12
DVD Architect Pro 6
Sound Forge Pro 11
HitFilm 2 Ultimate

VIDEO EQUIPMENT:
Canon Vixia HF S20
Sony HDR-CX110

AUDIO:
ZOOM H1
Rode VideoMic

Posted 01 Oct 2014 18:10 #9
It is always a delicate balance getting Audio Levels sounding correct.
You don't want the Microphone being too hot, otherwise when loud sounds occur you will get clipping. Clipping sounds terrible and cannot be repaired if it is really bad.

I suggest what you do is a large series of tests.
Do some indoor tests and outdoor tests in the real world.
Record the same sounds at each of the different settings/combinations. As each recording begins, say out loud what settings you are using.
Examples:
Test 1 - 80Hz on Rode, -12db on Zoom, I am standing 3 feet from microphone and camera.
Test 2 - 80Hz on Rode, -6db on Zoom, 3 feet from camera.
etc, etc......

Use as many different combinations as you can think of.
Then bring everything back home and listen to how they all sound.
You could import it directly into Vegas and listen to all the recordings with a pair of headphones.
You will then be able to hear what sounds "clean and clear", what sounded too low, what sounded too high,.......
This is the best way to learn in my opinion.

Rode has a brand new microphone released called the Stereo Video Mic X. This is a beast of a microphone and also quite expensive.
www.rodemic.com/microphones/stereovideomicx
A YouTube channel I follow called Fenchel & Janisch, has just released a fantastic review for the microphone.
In the review, they show the microphone being used with all the different settings.
Watch this video and then you will get an idea about testing with different settings.

One simple rule with Microphones.
It is better to be a little quiet, than too loud.
Quiet audio can always be boosted in post production.
In the real world, people tend to talk louder than you are ready for.
Last Edit:01 Oct 2014 18:12 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.820 seconds