VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Out of focus during zooming onto a subject

• Peter
  • Peter's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 90

Out of focus during zooming onto a subject was created by Peter

Posted 24 Sep 2014 12:15 #1
Hi Derek,
Using a Panasonic X920 set on AF / Image stabilizer active, shutter at 1/250th - the link below directs to a 30 second video shot in HD 1080 60p,AVCHD.
The original video is clear and focused until I start to slowly zoom in - as soon as that process starts the image falls out of focus and comes back in when the zooming stops. During the zooming, it is as if the lens is contiually trying to focus but the required focal length has again changed (still zooming in!).

Obviously clarity is not tops via Youtube - but viewing may be set to HD.
Any advice on how to stop this effect from happening?

many regards

Peter
by Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Out of focus during zooming onto a subject

Posted 25 Sep 2014 00:26 #2
I am not familiar with this camera.
I don't know if Panasonic has a user forum. If they do, this is really a question for the manufacturers forum.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Replied by Peter on topic Out of focus during zooming onto a subject

Posted 25 Sep 2014 09:40 #3
Hi Derek,

Thank you for the reply - logical response.

Not really into joining "forums" without some thought or definite reason, seems as if one is on a "response demand" in a selfish manner. I appeciate those who freely give advice and therefore limit asking.

I did wonder if my situation was just me making a silly mistake common to many cameras.

Again, thanks,

Peter
by Peter

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Out of focus during zooming onto a subject

Posted 25 Sep 2014 14:31 #4
I have a Canon Vixia HF S200.
When focus is set to Auto and I Zoom in slowly, it holds focus well.
If I Zoom in too fast, it totally looses focus and starts to hunt.

I don't know what level of control your camera has.
My only suggestion is this.
Go into Recording Modes and see if you can set it to Aperture Priority Mode - normally it would be in Full Automatic.
Then set the Aperture to to F5.6 or F8.0 - this will make it easier to stay in focus.

If you are in low light settings, it becomes a lot more difficult because you really need something like F2.8
However this mode makes it very difficult to keep things in focus.

I hope that helps a little more.
:)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Oct 2015 20:14 by DoctorZen

Replied by 48snapper on topic Out of focus during zooming onto a subject

Posted 29 Sep 2014 00:50 #5
That is a very tricky sequence for auto focus to handle.

As you zoom in, we can see the camera doesn't know if your main point of interest is the foreground plant. In the end it chooses the background. Assuming the foreground is the important part, disabling auto focus is the only sure answer. Then before starting recording, zoom right in to the foreground item, focus manually then zoom out. Then when you record, the foreground object is guaranteed to be sharp - and the camera won't hunt for a focus point.

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Replied by Peter on topic Out of focus during zooming onto a subject

Posted 29 Sep 2014 10:29 #6
48Snapper,

Having repeated the recording several times with different settings - I was able to obtain near perfect zooming and picture clarity.

As Derek suggested, I set the aperture at 5.6 (lighting was not ideal) set shutter speed to 1/60th. With the light conditions, the camera "wanted" to open right up and add gain to 6dB - but manual being manual - all settings were available to "play" with.

I also disabled the stability feature (but still did not place on my tripod!).

Since this camera is still new to me - I need to work on what it can do and what I can do (learning curve).

Your comment regarding zooming in and then focusing - you deserve a beer (or what ever).

I should read up on the focus points - multiple or centre. If it is like my DSLR - it might have a setting choice.
Anyway - I am wanting to video the Canadian Fall (Autumn) tree and vegetation colours and time is arriving for that to be done. Looks like it will be a good year unless we have a gale come through.

Many regards and thanks,

Peter
by Peter

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.846 seconds