VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Headsets with boom microphones

Headsets with boom microphones was created by MrGrunthunter

Posted 25 Feb 2015 13:34 #1
I bought a ZOOM H1 to use with my GoPro and Sony Movie Studio editing software. While recording video with my GoPro I ended up with a lot of 'camera handling' noise so I needed to narrate a new audio track. I wanted to be able to listen to the original track while playing the video and narrate a new audio track at the same time in Sony Movie Studio. I plugged a set of ear buds in and that seemed to work for the listening part and then I plugged in my H1 and that's when my problem started. When playing back the video the original audio would also play out of the little speaker on the bottom of the H1 thereby defeating my nice clean narration.

What I'm thinking of getting now is a headset with a boom mic to be able to listen to the original audio track and be able to narrate a new audio track in 'real time'. Has anyone had any experience with a setup like this and who makes one that will give me some decent audio. I'm not looking for professional studio quality, just something maybe better than a $2 lapel mic. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I may even end up using this when I'm recording video with my GoPro so I can get away from unwanted audio noise being picked up with the camera mic.
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070
Last Edit:25 Feb 2015 13:36 by MrGrunthunter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Headsets with boom microphones

Posted 25 Feb 2015 14:25 #2
Microphones that come with headsets are terrible, so I would not be using that to record good quality audio.
If you don't want to spend any money, why don't you simply use your Zoom H1 as a microphone since that is what it is meant for.

This is how you need to set everything up.
Step 1
Import GoPro Video and Audio Track from H1 into Movie Studio.
You should have one video track and two audio tracks.
Audio Track #1 will be the audio from GoPro and Audio Track #2 will be the audio from H1 - sync these two tracks up by referring to the waveforms.
Once you have the audio synced, you can MUTE the audio for Track #1.

Step 2
Connect a pair of headphones to your computer.

Step 3
Connect Zoom H1 to computer using USB cable.

Step 4
You may need to re-boot Movie Studio, so the Zoom H1 is recognized.
Go to Options/Preferences/Audio Devices
Set Audio Device Type to Windows Classic Wave Driver
Set Default Audio Recording Device to Zoom H1

Step 5
Insert new Audio Track in Movie Studio.
Press Arm for Record (RED button in new audio track).
Now check your recording levels. If you need to adjust, right-click Speaker ICON in bottom right corner of Windows Desktop and go to Recording Devices - here you need to set levels for H1 microphone.

Step 6
When you are ready to begin press RECORD button under Preview Window. Video will play and you will be listening via headphones and talking into Microphone.

If you want to learn more, watch this old tutorial:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/60-how-to-record-audio-direct-to-the-timeline-using-sony-vegas-movie-studio-hd-platinum-10
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGrunthunter

Replied by MrGrunthunter on topic Headsets with boom microphones

Posted 25 Feb 2015 15:08 #3
I may be missing something but basically I think that's what I ended up doing ... sort of.

What happened on another previous set of videos was that I was at a MECUM Auto Auction recording video of all the custom and classic cars but I was getting a lot of clicking and handling noise. I tried going into the original audio track and either lowering the audio where the click or other noise was or muting that portion completely. I wanted to keep the general ambient background audio and retain my original comments I was making in the process. After that pain taking effort I knew I had to come up with a better plan for the audio so I went and bought the H1.

When I recorded my latest DIY project I tried recording to the H1 with it on a little tabletop tripod but when I played it back in Sony Movie Studio it sounded like a motor boat in the background, obviously I was getting some kine of RF interference so I had to make a new audio track. When I connected the H1 and played back the video the original 'bad' audio played out of the speaker on the H1 so I would have been narrating the video on a new track and also hearing the original 'bad' audio coming out of the H1. What I ended up having to do was listen to the original audio through a headset and record my narration into the memory of the H1 with it disconnected from my computer and then importing it into Sony Movie Studio and then muting the original track.

I suppose then my only other option is to wear a lapel mic and record directly to my H1 while I'm recording my videos. That way I won't be picking up the camera handling noise and the noise from turning the camera record button on and off. I was hoping there might be a decent boom mic out there somewhere.
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Headsets with boom microphones

Posted 25 Feb 2015 15:35 #4
There is an inexpensive Lav Mic made by Rode you can use, if you have an iPhone or Android based phone.
www.rode.com/microphones/smartlav-plus
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Oct 2015 18:58 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGrunthunter

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.939 seconds