VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Planing to get an AMD with ATI Graphics. bad idea?

Planing to get an AMD with ATI Graphics. bad idea? was created by alittleolder

Posted 16 Dec 2016 02:34 #1
Tomorrow, Friday the 16th of December I will upgrade from Movie Studio 13 to Vegas Pro 14 Suite. I would like to, in January, get a new PC too. Derek has mentioned in some of his videos that AMD CPU's and/or ATI GPU's could cause some Problems. I am now using AMD/ATI too and made over 100 videos that all came out great.

So basically I would like to know if anyone has any particularly good or bad experience in either direction?

Thanks a lot
-
Stephan
Last Edit:16 Dec 2016 16:32 by alittleolder

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Planing to get an AMD with ATI Graphics. bad idea?

Posted 16 Dec 2016 16:45 #2
Hi Stephan

I have no experience with AMD CPUs. All I know from general knowledge, is that Intel CPUs are better suited for video rendering and should render faster than AMD - Intel i7 is optimised best for video.

AMD fell behind Intel when they released the Bulldozer series CPUs and has been lagging behind Intel for years. However, everything is about to change for AMD, because they will soon release a the Ryzen chip, which looks like it will finally give Intel a run for their money. You can read about the new chip here:
www.trustedreviews.com/news/amd-ryzen-specs-performance-release-date

If this new AMD Ryzen chip is as good as they are saying, I may use it in my own new computer build next year. It will be slightly faster and a lot less expensive than the equivalent Intel CPU.

When you buy the upgrade, you may be able to take a further $30 off the price.
I have a coupon code for Vegas Pro you can use "XmasVEGAS".
I don't know if it will work on upgrades, but you can at least try.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:16 Dec 2016 16:48 by DoctorZen

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Planing to get an AMD with ATI Graphics. bad idea?

Posted 18 Dec 2016 13:44 #3
Hi Stephan,

Totally concur with Doctor Zen on the usage of Intel, compared to AMD...but, he is completely on target with the upcoming release of their new CPU, now named "Ryzen".

Following the tech enthusiast channels, a lot of "speculation" concerning these chips is out. Unfortunately, AMD is still keeping a lot of the specifications about Ryzen to an absolute minimum, with some of the channels under NDA's if they do have "deeper" information than has been released. If what AMD is currently showing concerning the chips, it is going to really shake up the video/photo editing and gaming world extensively. The one thing that AMD is currently showing on performance, is comparing their new 8C/16T (eight cores/sixteen threads) against the newer Intel Broadwell-E 8C/16T chip, and if the little we have seen is pretty accurate, Intel may finally have some competition! One of the other issues about showing this though, is what will AMD charge for the chip. Most of the information for the compatible motherboards would be comparable to current Intel Skylake and X99 platform connectivity. Where AMD seems to be "cutting corners" for pricing against Intel, would be the lack of a larger Memory Controller. Meaning, they plan to only have a Dual Channel controller like the Skylake, Haswell, Broadwell, Ivy Bridge, and Sandy Bridge platforms (Mainstream usage); as opposed to the Quad Channel Controller in the Haswell-E, Broadwell-E, Ivy Bridge-E, and Sandy Bridge-E (first two would be X99, and second two are X79) which are Intel's "Extreme" or "Enthusiast" platforms. Not delving into the Xeon side of things, as it can get quite complicated.

Latest rumor for release of the new AMD chip is around March 2017, slightly after the launch of their newer "Vega" line of video card, of which even less is known about. Ask 100 people on Youtube channels what to do, and you will probably get 1000 different replies.

I've long been an Intel/Nvidia guy, but have had platforms with AMD chips, and the old ATI branded video cards. What works best? If what you are doing works fine with what you use, it is the best, no matter what anyone tells you. Remember, you are the final judge on these things. You can still find people editing videos with older AMD FX processors, and they work fantastic for what they need done. And no matter what you do, it seems that you just never seem to have the "funds available" to get everything you want!:silly: Now, time to go check my lottery tickets to see if I can get that Intel 10C/20T beasty chip, or did I just put money into the "Supporting Senior Citizen's Fund"!

Good Luck,

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.

Replied by alittleolder on topic Planing to get an AMD with ATI Graphics. bad idea?

Posted 18 Dec 2016 13:59 #4
Thanks a lot. I have no problem rendering with my current machine which is AMD/ATI but I do have some Problems using the Titler Pro 3 that came with the Suite. Not sure what that's about. Haven't slept a lot since I got the software lol. Aside from that the software is fantastic.
I heard the new AMD Chips are coming in Jan. I don't know why but I always felt the need to go with the underdog. In this case AMD. Also it's a nice way to save some money. Although really interested in what this Titler pro problem is all about. Maybe I'll try the standalone version without Vegas running. Sadly I read your message after I bought the software on the 16th. Couldn't wait anymore.
My plan for the PC is to see what will be released in Jan both from intel and AMD and then decide and buy in Feb.
thanks again!

Replied by alittleolder on topic Planing to get an AMD with ATI Graphics. bad idea?

Posted 18 Dec 2016 14:14 #5
Hi Mmcswnavy24,

I am one of these guys. I have a Phenom FX2 6 core with an ATI 7700 card and so far everything has worked perfectly. All new games run fast enough too (in 1080p only of course). Now in 3 years of use (I got this one for free just had to put some hardware in. The PC itself is 6 years old) I never had a single issue. The NewBlue Titler Pro 3 is the first thing. Although I would really be surprised if my AMD was to blade for it. On my Notebook, an Ultrabook I use an i7 of course but whenever I can I try to use AMD. Of course if the product costs the same or more I would really need to think about it. I was in the IT business from
96 to 2013 when I went into emergency surgery. They were able to save me but not my ability to work. In these 3 years I didn't follow the market and the new developments that closely. Just recently got back into Technology due to making Youtube Videos and in a roundabout way becoming very interested in all technical things again. In my last job I was mostly confronted with intel of course because we were a refurbisher getting stuff from Banks that operated countrywide or the railways and so on and when they buy like 5000 units of a machine, well then they rarely go for AMD. 0.2% of all machines that we got were AMD. So that shows you how they are used at the business side of things. I think the company can mostly survive due to the fact that they produce the hardware for the PS4 and X-Box.. But again.. Love me the underdog. Sorry for blabbering on. It's 04:12am here, I haven't slept and am quite happy to have met some likeminded people.
Looking forward to future discussions.
regards,
Stephan

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Planing to get an AMD with ATI Graphics. bad idea?

Posted 18 Dec 2016 21:36 #6
If you bought Vegas Pro 14 Suite, you must download and install this version of Titler Pro 3.
Only this version will work in Vegas Pro 14 and it will also work in older versions of Vegas and Vegas Movie Studio.
www.newbluefx.com/downloads/Magix/NewBlueVegasProSuiteComplete-161118.exe

If you installed an earlier build, that would most likely explain why it does not work.
Build #161118 is the version that works - this is what I have installed.
It may show up as build #161119 - not sure what that is about, but just be aware.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Posted 20 Dec 2016 05:07 #7
Thanks Derek! from
Usually it kicked the bucket when it was loading from the library (from it's own) although you have the control panel of the software itself and it should check for updates.. well no matter.. I'll try.. Still.. Vegas 14 pro.. So much smoother than I was ever used from Moviestudio 13. Btw: In Your review of it you said there is no more GPU Support for Main Concept. Although if you entered a GPU in the General Settings, where I put my ATI Card the rendering speed is roughly the same as with the previous version. Not slower, not faster either. You are right. Compared to some other programs it really is slow. Still I am really happy I chose this product over what's out there. I don't think I would ever need the features of Premiere also that gets so expensive over time. Still, really looking forward to a new computer. That's the problem with being an adult. Can't wish for one for Christmas. Especially December and January are a lot of anual payments. Yesterday btw. I read an article that said that the coming AMD and Intel CPU's will only be marginally faster than the existing ones. I kind of think we've hit a bit of a barrier here. Same as with phones.

Thanks for the link. Will try immediately.

regards,
Stephan

Posted 21 Dec 2016 21:36 #8
Thanks a lot for that link. That cured the problem. With it's own control app running all the time I don't know why the Titler didn' update itself but who knows. Well anyway. Problem is fixed now. Thanks a lot.
Last Edit:23 Dec 2016 00:50 by alittleolder
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 03 Jan 2017 19:04 #9
Thanks for all the help. My new computer just arrived. I'll set it up later. Just Vegas and the Suite Programs and then maybe one or two games. Otherwise I will not pollute this machine. Thanks for all your help!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 03 Jan 2017 20:13 #10
You're welcome :)

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.357 seconds