VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved What progress is there for recording 50p or 4K to a disk??

I have a SONY 4K video player and would like mainly to video in 1920x1080 50p or perhaps in 4K and archive to a disk. I have heard a bit about the new Verbatim 'M' disk and there are writers available that can handle 'M'disks. Is there an authoring software that is affordable that will author to this disk? I see Pioneer is the only one to produce a 4K writer the BDR-211. Can anyone shed some light on this subject. ( I have only VEGAS Pro 14 & DVDA 7)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic What progress is there for recording 50p or 4K to a disk??

Posted 27 Nov 2017 21:18 #2
M disc is an archival quality disc format for long term stable storage.
M disc uses a special surface material which is meant to not degrade over time.

There are no software programs for authoring 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, using the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray format.
The Pioneer BDR-2111EBK can play back DVD, Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray.
However, it can only burn DVD and Blu-ray quality blank discs.
I would imagine you could burn a "Data Disc" using high capacity blank Blu-ray discs, but nothing that uses the 4K format.

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray cannot be burnt with this player as far as I am aware during my research on this topic.
www.extremetech.com/computing/243463-new-pioneer-ultra-blu-ray-burners-pack-4k-playback-16x-burn-speeds

There are also insane computer specification requirements, just to get a 4K computer drive to actually play back a store bought Ultra HD Blu-ray discs from the Hollywood studios. For some stupid reason they have gone hyper paranoid about the ability of people to pirate Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, so have Hardware encoding requirements built into the drive which are almost impossible for anyone to meet.

You basically have to build a new computer using only an Intel Kaby Lake CPU or higher and also have to have the right type of monitor with the right type of HDMI connector and the right type of GPU and GPU Driver and use Cyberlink Powerdirector.

AMD has also been left out of the loop, which surely must break some type of International consumer competition law, because Intel has a monopoly on the type of CPU that supports 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback on a PC. The whole thing stinks and is extremely disappointing.

I thought I would be someone that would get one of these 4K drives, but now I doubt that will ever happen.
Instead I am going to buy an unlocked Samsung 4K Player, which has the region encoding removed by having a special chip added to the machine.
There is a tech company in Melbourne Australia that buys good quality DVD, Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray players and then modifies them in shop by adding a decoding chip to remove ALL region encoding locks. I am pretty sure others are doing the same thing in North America.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:27 Nov 2017 21:22 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle eye.

Replied by ericlnz on topic What progress is there for recording 50p or 4K to a disk??

Posted 27 Nov 2017 22:03 #3
I've heard the comment from several sources to the effect that we are unlikely to ever be able to home burn 4K discs.
Last Edit:28 Nov 2017 06:21 by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle eye.

Replied by Eagle eye. on topic What progress is there for recording 50p or 4K to a disk??

Posted 28 Nov 2017 06:52 #4
I guess I have touched on a subject that is sensitive, and for good reason. It seems strange to me that all sizes & shapes of cameras can record in 4K but to archive that footage owners in general can only watch unedited footage from their SDXC card. I can edit 4K or preferably 50p. I think that 1920x1080 50p is so close to the quality of 4K that its not worth the extra problems involved and most people wouldn't notice. I render my 1920x1080 50p footage to the Vegas Pro 'Internet 1920x1080 50p' setting and keep it on my Samsung solid state portable hard drive. The footage is clear and crisp when shown on my 65" SONY TV. However I would love to put even this type of file on a disc with menu and properly authored.

Replied by ericlnz on topic What progress is there for recording 50p or 4K to a disk??

Posted 28 Nov 2017 09:54 #5
If you use AVCHD (which is a restricted subset of Blu-ray) you should be able to do 1080 50/60p. BUT not with DVDA as it wants to recompress it to interlaced. You will need to use alternative authoring software.

I have done an AVCHD on DVD disc as 1080 50p. I'll try a Blu-ray disc when I get a spare moment.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 28 Nov 2017 20:54 #6
Well I've spent hours playing around using Nero Video which I use occasionally to burnt short AVCHD videos to DVD as AVCHD on DVD discs. This is because DVDA doesn't do AVCHD on DVD.

But I cannot get AVCHD 1080 50P onto a Blu-ray disk or into a Blu-ray image. It always gets transcoded into 50i. Yet I have no problems getting AVCHD 1080 50P onto a DVD whether it's smart rendering or being re-rendered. At top quality re-render both 50P m2ts and 50P mp4 files give me 50P in the disc image.

So if you want to burn 50/60P to Blu-ray you need to do what Derek suggested in another thread recently and drop to 720P. But whether 720P would look acceptable on a monster 4K screen is another issue.
by ericlnz

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.862 seconds