vegas pro 16 728x90 2019 04 sale

lightbulb Idea Recommendations for Motherboard options

• Thank you received: 1

Recommendations for Motherboard options was created by zook250

hi everyone, new here to the forum. i have been using vegas pro 12 for years on an old antiquated computer
(i5 2600, 14 gb ddr3, ati HD6850, Mobo Gigibyte ga-p55m-ud2.)

time to upgrade.

looking at an i7-8700
16gb of corsair vengeance ddr4
cooler master 650 power supply
500 gb SSD main drive
mother board ???????
upgrade to VP16

i would still have to use my old HD6850 for the time being. mother board would need to be able to accept this.

my question is what would be a recommended mother board? i dont need all the bells and whistles, just the basics. im not up on all the latest chipsets, what works what doesn't?

thanks
curt
18 Jan 2019 05:34 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1250

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Recommendations for Motherboard options

Hi Curt

You need to look for Intel 1151 socket, 8th generation Motherboards.
Here is a selection of Motherboards that would be compatible with your CPU choice.
This is from an Australian website and is in Australian dollars.
If you find something you like, search for it in a store from your country.

www.pccasegear.com/category/138_1902/motherboards/intel-1151-8th-gen

Regards
Derek
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
18 Jan 2019 09:04 #2

Replied by zook250 on topic Recommendations for Motherboard options

thanks for the quick reply. i have been talking to a friend who has convinced me to go with a Ryzen 2700x and an MSI B450m gaming plus MoBo. what do you think of that combination? i had never really thought of going AMD before. i used to run an AMD Athlon 64 with my old pro tools rig 10 years ago, but never crossed my mind for video editing.
18 Jan 2019 09:08 #3

• Thank you received: 1250

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Recommendations for Motherboard options

have been talking to a friend who has convinced me to go with a Ryzen 2700x and an MSI B450m gaming plus MoBo. what do you think of that combination?

Sounds like an excellent idea !
The Ryzen 2700X is a very, very good CPU and is an excellent price - fantastic value.
Perfect for content creators and gaming. It gets my approval :idea: :woohoo:

I will be building a new computer this year as well and have decided to build an AMD Threadripper system.
Intel CPUs maybe good, but they are terribly overpriced and they have been ripping us off for years.
If it wasn't for AMD, we would still be using 4x Core CPUs.
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
18 Jan 2019 09:18 #4

• Thank you received: 174

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Recommendations for Motherboard options

Hi Zook250/Curt,

I agree with Derek (Dr. Zen) on the choice of a Ryzen 2700X system. I have a ThreadRipper 1950X recently built (around June/July 2018) and it runs great!

First thing first though...BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA ON YOUR CURRENT SYSTEM FIRST!

The 2700X is fine, but if you don't mind overclocking a bit, you can save a few bucks by going the 2700 route and just overclock it some. That is a personal choice for each. Me, I have my 1950x running stock, even with an Enermax Liqtech II 280mm AIO. Runs fine. The previous Intel X99 5820K and X99 5930K systems I had, I did overclock, as I had better luck overclocking Intel compared to AMD. Besides, the stock coolers you get with either processor allows you to do some overclocking and keep the CPU cool, should you "feel froggy!"

I would recommend spending the extra 20-30 Dollars on going with the X470 chipset though, compared to the B450 chipset motherboards. I looked at the specs for the MSI B450 Gaming Plus, and if you install a PCI-e M.2 (3.0 x 4 speed), you lose out on two SATA ports. The same MSI X470 Gaming Plus, about $30 (USD), with that M.2 installed, you lose the very bottom PCI-e x 16 slot (only 2.0x, and only max of x4 speed), but able to use all the SATA ports. Unless the M.2 you install is SATA based, then you lose one SATA port (would have to check manual which one).

The Cooler Master 650w PSU would be fine, though I recommend the "V" series as they would be "Gold" rated, and fully modular as well.

Your older HD6850 card would still work in either board you would pick, or vendor with similar chipsets. Either B450 or X470 work with all the Ryzen CPUs', and comes down to personal preference on Manufacturer and needs. Just do your homework. Some boards may have fewer USB ports than you need, or you don't need the RGB, or you need more fan connections, etc.

Don't forget about your case. If you are going to "re-purpose" your current one, and it's a few years old, you might want to think about getting some newer case fans. Also, don't forget to clean it out once the old system is removed. Plus, check to make sure whatever board you decide on will fit in it. If you plan to get a new case, same thing applies. Just because it looks pretty may not be quite as "functional" or "build-friendly" as you thought. Again, do your homework.

Remember though, whichever board you decide to go with, go to the Manufacturer website and verify memory compatibility. Better to know you have a set that is validated for your board, instead of all the YouTube hype on "overclocked" memory and "faster connection" with the fabric, blah, blah, blah! I have used boards from Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock, MSI (which I have for my 1950x - X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC). You can copy the "tested" RAM from the Manuf. site, then go to say Newegg and do a search for availability and price, then do some comparisons. Also, while you are at the Manufacturer's site, once you've decided on the board, download all the drivers and put on a USB stick, including the most recent BIOS/UEFI, which you should update before installing Windows.

Oh, in case I didn't mention it before, first things first before you even start the build...BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA FROM YOUR CURRENT MACHINE FIRST!!!!!! Then, take your time, enjoy the build, and have fun editing!

Happy Editing!

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC/1950X/64 GB Corsair/Gigabyte GTX 1080/SoundBlaster Zx/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. Vegas Pro 15 Suite/Vegas MSP 15 Suite/SoundForge Studio 12/Lightroom Classic & Photoshop CC/Hitfilm & Ignite Express 2017. Intel 750 PCIe with OS & Apps, Samsung 960 EVO PCIe for source footage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen
18 Jan 2019 15:19 #5

Replied by zook250 on topic Recommendations for Motherboard options

Great , thanks for the info Mike and Derek. i didn't look as closely at the board as i should have. i will definitely take your advice and go with the x470. our local shop has run out of stock for the gaming plus, so i will go with the gaming pro. i can only afford 16gb of 3000 mhz ram at the moment , i like the option of 4 slots , so at least i can hit 32 gb in the future without having to sell off 2x8gb to purchase 2x16's.

i will definitely back everything up. i will be installing a new 500 ssd drive for my operating system, Vegas pro and Pro-tools. as i get some extra gig money, i will switch over my old drives to ssd as well.

really looking forward to this build. thanks for your help.

curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen
19 Jan 2019 02:00 #6

Moderators: DoctorZen

vegas ms 16 728x90 2019 04 sale 20 off

vegas pro 365 728x90 2019 04 30 off
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds

Zen Social Media

MOVIESTUDIOZEN.COM

© Copyright 2018. Movie Studio Zen. All Rights Reserved.

Support Movie Studio Zen

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

Translate Language

MSZ Security

Positive SSL