VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved What is the validity of "gaming" PC components?

• RobWS
  • RobWS's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 7

What is the validity of "gaming" PC components? was created by RobWS

Posted 30 Mar 2022 05:12 #1
Because of the massive popularity of PC gaming, it looks like more PC components have the word "gaming" in their name. You can buy gaming RAM, a gaming case, a gaming motherboard, a gaming GPU, a gaming monitor, etc.  If I am only interested in a video editing PC build, are these gaming components still worth considering?  Is it all just clever marketing to take advantage of the trends?  I don't need RGB lighting or overclocking components.  How do we sort through all of the hype?
Last Edit:30 Mar 2022 12:23 by RobWS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic What is the validity of "gaming" PC components?

Posted 30 Mar 2022 11:14 #2
Hi Rob

It's all just marketing, because Gamers are the biggest buyers of PC components.
Most "gaming" PC parts are also perfect for Content Creators doing stuff like Video Editing, Photo Editing, 3D Modelling, Audio Editing/Mastering etc...

Just last weekend I built a new computer for my 78 year old mother, who is a retired school teacher.
My Dad has his own computer as well, but will also use the new PC for some stuff.
She has used a computer for 25+ years and does heaps of Family History research and turns them into books for other people, to share the information with other researchers around the world.
My 13 year old nephew (Nanna's grandson) helped me build the computer and we were laughing because lots of the parts were "Gaming" parts.
When Nanna's new computer starts, she is greeted with ASUS TUF Gaming !!! 

There is a huge overlap with PC parts - that are perfect for completely different usage types.

EXAMPLE: The computer I built for my mother has these components inside / compared with what I used for my own "Video Editing / Content Creation PC".

AMD Ryzen 5600X (6x Core CPU) - this has been rated as a really good CPU for Gamers, but it's also perfect for a standard home computer and video editing.
Just over 12 months ago, I built a new computer and used an AMD Ryzen 5800X (8x Core CPU). At the time, CPUs were in short supply and very expensive.
8x Cores is perfect for Video Editing, but I would have liked more. I may still upgrade to the 16x Core model, now that CPU prices have come crashing down.
However, I am extremely happy with the 5800X - it's very fast at rendering with Vegas Pro and converting video with Handbrake.

ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus Wi-Fi Motherboard - this is marketed for Gamers, but I needed a half decent Motherboard with inbuilt Wi-Fi - it was on sale, so did the job nicely.
The Motherboard I used in my personal build was an ASUS Prime X570 Pro CSM Motherboard - this is better suited for content creators due to faster connections and different Ports.

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16GB (2x8GB) 3600MHz CL18 DDR4 - this went into my mother's build. She doesn't need LED lights, but once again I got a good deal and the Memory Speed of 3600 MHz is the sweet spot for AMD Ryzen 5000 series CPUs.
In my own PC build, I used the exact same, but 2x 16GB's.

Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 500GB - this is the same SSD drive I used in my Mum's PC and my own, to use as the C-Drive.

Nvidia RTX 3050 - most programs including web browsers are GPU Accelerated now, so I used a decent graphics card, without going overboard.
In my own computer I have an Nvidia RTX 2060 - 12 months ago, GPUs were insanely overpriced - prices have now crashed, and you should always buy the best Graphics Card you can afford.
More GPU power = Better Performance in VEGAS Pro!

Positive Outcome - multi-use scenarios
Nana is extremely happy with how fast the new computer is and how quiet it is!
I used a Fractal Design Define 7 Black - very good quiet case!

The same computer build would make any teenage gamer or video editor just starting out, extremely happy.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:30 Mar 2022 11:15 by DoctorZen

• RobWS
  • RobWS's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 7

Replied by RobWS on topic What is the validity of "gaming" PC components?

Posted 04 Apr 2022 05:42 #3
Thank you for the clarification and your own personal examples.  Your knowledge is appreciated.

by RobWS
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.798 seconds