DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question New laptop recommendations?

New laptop recommendations? was created by RgVideo

Posted 16 Aug 2023 07:11 #1
I've decided it's time to upgrade my 9-year-old Toshiba laptop (with ii5 processor) to one with faster rendering. Have been using MSP16 with it.  Any suggestions for a current 14” laptop to make YouTube and Instagram videos with Vegas Edit 20?  Most of them will probably be in the 30 second to 5 minute range. Willing to spend up to $1,500. Thanks, Ralph 
Last Edit:16 Aug 2023 12:03 by RgVideo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic New laptop recommendations?

Posted 16 Aug 2023 12:14 #2
Hi Ralph

I have moved your forum post into the Computer Hardware sub-forum.

Which country do you live in?

The best place to start would be a large online website that specializes in selling computers.
I don't know which country you live in, but you cab do a Google search to find your local online retailers.
www.newegg.com/ in the USA gives you the ability to filter the components you are looking for.

Both Intel and AMD make very good CPUs.
Even though I am a big fan of AMD CPUs, I would recommend you look for a laptop with an Intel CPU.
Most Intel CPUs come with Integrated Graphics could QSV, which works very well in VEGAS Pro, when it is time to render your project.
However, I would also recommend you get a Laptop that also comes with an Nvidia Graphics Card.
Nvidia graphics works very well with VEGAS Pro, and is essential for good/fast decoding and encoding - especially for Video FX processing.

You also need to make sure the laptop comes with an SSD (solid state drive) and doesn't use old spinning Hard Drives, which are very slow.
The BEST laptops comes with M.2 SSD drives.

If you can find a short list of laptops, send me links and I'll check them over for you.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:16 Aug 2023 12:14 by DoctorZen

Replied by RgVideo on topic New laptop recommendations?

Posted 17 Aug 2023 03:52 #3
Doctor Zen,, Thanks very much for your reply. I live in the USA and I was an electronics engineer during my working days. Consequently, I have a good handle on computer stuff, but not a good one on video hardware. I suppose whatever I get will be better than what I have because of the number of years between purchases, though. :-) After I finish my research, I'll send you three or so of my possibilities. I really appreciate the offer to review them. Since you moved my post to a new forum, I see the previous post on it was the same subject as mine. I also see that you have had some serious health problems and I wish you the best on a speedy and full recovery.   Ralph
by RgVideo
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 16 Sep 2023 06:04 #4
Dr. Zen,

For a new, all purpose laptop, I've decided I want to stick with an Intel CPU and keep my price under $1500 US.  Also, don't want a "gaming" laptop due to heat issues I've read about.  

I've thinking about the following.  What do you think?
www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6F27HSW/?coliid=INM8TP5M38P7W&colid=3NH8N4ZV44JFZ&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

There are some others that use the (maybe) better performing RTX 3050, but none with a 2 TB SSD.  I need that much SSD, because I'm already at 1 TB with my existing laptop.  I've changed drives many times myself, but want to skip that with a new laptop.  My other option is one with 2 TB SSD and Intel Iris Xe GPU.    

Thanks for your advice,
Ralph
by RgVideo

Posted 16 Sep 2023 12:11 #5
The laptop you have selected looks very good.

"Gaming Laptops" is more of a marketing term. Normally I would recommend that a "gaming" laptop is also perfect for content creation, because they normally have more powerful Graphics Cards, which video editing programs really love! A laptop like this is only going to produce heat when you are rendering a video.

Anyway, this Acer laptop looks perfect for your budget.
You will get the best of both worlds, because it has Intel graphics and also Nvidia graphics.
In VEGAS, you will have the choice to use either Intel or Nvidia for rendering.

If you decide to get this computer, there will be two settings in VEGAS you need to look at and experiment with.
Options / Preferences / Video - probably I would choose Nvidia for GPU acceleration.
Options / Preferences / File I/O (Hardware setting at bottom of page) - Vegas will normally choose the best option here. I would experiment between Intel and Nvidia for this setting.

You can never have enough storage in a laptop.
I also like to use an External Hard Drive, for storing large video files.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Posted 16 Sep 2023 13:28 #6
Doc Zen,

I really appreciate you taking the time to review my selection and letting me know your opinion! I'll make sure to check the two settings you mentioned. Obviously, I'm very glad to hear you think it's a good pick! :)

After getting it, I'll let you know how I like it and the rendering time for it vs. my old laptop.

Thanks again,
Ralph
by RgVideo

Posted 16 Sep 2023 13:40 #7
This message contains secure information
by RgVideo

Posted 22 Sep 2023 16:52 #8

Last Edit:22 Sep 2023 16:52 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.891 seconds