DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question Hardware questions about buying a new computer

• kobo
  • kobo's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 5

Hardware questions about buying a new computer was created by kobo

Posted 10 Sep 2023 01:18 #1
My apologies for the re-post; I inadvertently posted this originally in the General Discussion Forum

Greetings one and all.

I'm looking at upgrading to a newer-to-me workstation computer; my present system, using SMS Platinum 12, is a HP 1st Gen ZBook 17, with a 4th gen i7 processor, 32gb RAM & NVIDIA Quadro K4100M video card. A beast in its time, still renders well, but I'm looking to upgrade to a litttle newer version of Vegas and speed things up just a little more

I'm now looking at a more conventional Tower PC, I'll be using Vegas Pro 17,  and I have a question about the processers: Xeon or i series? Video card brand :ATI or Nvidia? Also, would I be better sticking with Win 10 pro or go to 11pro?

The two brands/models of PC's I have been looking are either a HP Z4 G4 or Dell Precision 3640; these are older systems but still ahead of what I am using now - and affordable.

I am not into gaming, the primary purpose of this system will be for video rendering, and my video projects are not big productions; mostly simple youtube and family videos.

I would appreciate your experienced thoughts on the matter

Thanks in advance

K
by kobo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Hardware questions about buying a new computer

Posted 10 Sep 2023 11:41 #2
Hi Kobo

The first thing I recommend you do after buying a new computer, is upgrade Vegas to one the new VEGAS Pro 21 editions.
VEGAS Pro Edit 21 is the cheapest upgrade that gives you the full version of Vegas Pro, just by itself.
The newer versions of VEGAS Pro are much better optimized for working with modern computer hardware - specifically modern GPUs.
Vegas Pro 17 uses an older decoder/encoder engine, which will not work properly with modern GPUs.

Intel Xeon CPUs are old news.
AMD CPUs are now the best CPUs you can buy - more cores and better power efficiency.
Intel consumer CPUs are still OK, but they are different to AMD CPUs.

I would definitely recommend an Nvidia graphics card for VEGAS.
Nvidia GPUs work better with Third Party Video FX and for GPU rendering.

I have no experience with using Professional Nvidia GPUs.

Can you provide direct links to the computers you have mentioned, so that I can view the full specs - then I can comment more fully!

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.830 seconds