VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Question CPU Fan Problem

• BobH
  • BobH's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 23

CPU Fan Problem was created by BobH

Posted 03 Jan 2024 01:19 #1
Hi all,
In the last few days when I start up my video editing PC, I have an error message saying "Press F2" and I enter the BIOS. It appears the CPU Fan is not working. Today this happened three times and only on the fourth attempt did the computer start correctly into Windows 10. Processor is AMD Ryzen 7 5800x Eight Core (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4). Is this a problem or do I need to open the case and do a good clean? All suggestions welcome please.

BobH
by BobH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic CPU Fan Problem

Posted 10 Jan 2024 14:18 #2
Hi Bob

Do you still need help with this problem ?

You have the same CPU that I use.
5800X runs very hot when rendering video.
What type of cooling system does your computer use ?
Open case, take photo and upload to forum if this problem hasn't been fixed yet.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• BobH
  • BobH's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by BobH on topic CPU Fan Problem

Posted 13 Jan 2024 03:06 #3
Hi again Derek and thank you for getting back to me.
The cooling is a Corsair H100X Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler. At present it seems to be behaving itself so hopefully all is well. However I have bought an Air Duster so I hope to give everything a good clean and at the same time to check all the connections.
Best wishes
BobH
by BobH

Replied by DoctorZen on topic CPU Fan Problem

Posted 15 Jan 2024 17:36 #4
How old is your Corsair H100X ?

Yes, you need to do regular vacuums of the water Radiator - excess dust will definitely destroy cooling performance.
Sorry to state the obvious, but have you checked your Corsair iCue software to make sure the fan speed curves are set correctly, so that the speeds are fast enough when the CPU is under maximum load?
Make sure the Water Pump is running at full speed. Some people make the mistake of the water pump working like a fan, I running way too slow, which compromises the cooling.

I've had many problems with Corsair closed loop water coolers in the past. I may have just been unlucky, but I would never buy this brand ever again.
The problem component always ended up being the Water Pump.
The first one I bought (many years ago now), started making a bad ticking noise a few months after it was installed.
I got it replaced under warranty.... 3 years later it just died one day.

I've seen autopsies on YouTube were the water block is opened up (all brands of closed loop water coolers) and you can see all this debris (metal filings and gunk), which is slowing down movement of water through the loop.

I also experienced horrific problems with the older Corsair software, that was causing my computer to turn on/off.
Long story short, when I built my new computer in 2020, I vowed to never use Corsair cooling ever again.
I also didn't want to have to use, bad software to control my water cooler.
After reading tonnes of reviews, I went with a BeQuiet 280mm water cooler.
www.bequiet.com/en/watercooler

BeQuiet cooling runs directly off the fan headers of your Motherboard.
You can control fan/pump speeds directly through BIOS settings
or do what I did
Control Fan speeds and Pump using Motherboard Fan Control software (I use ASUS AI Suite Fan Expert).

BeQuiet water cooler has been the best cooler I have ever used.

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.809 seconds