VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Movie Studio Platinum 13, New Laptop

Movie Studio Platinum 13, New Laptop was created by Grayghost

Posted 11 Apr 2015 07:32 #1
I am jumping into video editing with both feet. I plan on purchasing a new Asus Touch Screen Gaming Laptop. Features include FHD (1920x1080) Display Type, Intel Core i7 Processor, 8GB w/2GB Graphics Memory, 1TB Hard Drive. Will this particular laptop handle Movie Studio Platinum 13 software? Will appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Movie Studio Platinum 13, New Laptop

Posted 11 Apr 2015 09:03 #2
In other posts, you will see similar questions concerning usage. Basically, when Doctor Zen replies, he will probably have a couple of good links for you, but the biggest question he'll most likely have for you is to see if you can get an SSD for the boot drive (preferably 240 GB or higher), along with another hard drive (mechanical o.k. here), but at least in the 7200 rpm range. The size will be up to the type of projects you are doing and the required space. So the 1TB drive you mention would probably work, but should be 7200 rpm (most of the laptop mechanical drives are typically 5400 rpm, so something like the Western Digital Scorpio Blacks or the faster Seagate Momentus drives.) Here's a link from Newegg with the Western Digital Black2, which is combination of an SSD and laptop drive together, for those that don't have the extra drive bay in their laptops: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236642 (copy and paste the link). Also, if you have a choice on using either the mobile Radeon or nVidia graphics, go with the AMD Radeon. And of course, once you get the laptop, you can always download the 30 day trial of Movie Studio Platinum and give it a whirl!
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grayghost

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Movie Studio Platinum 13, New Laptop

Posted 12 Apr 2015 20:28 #3
Hi Grayghost

The most important thing about your laptop is the CPU and an i7 model is perfect for Video Editing - this is what Movie Studio Platinum relies on the most.
Thank you to mmcswnavy24 for already reading my mind and supplying good info for you.
If you can afford it, it would be a great idea to get a laptop that has an SSD for the main C-Drive - this will speed up things a lot as well.
Most decent laptops that come with an SSD will also include a Hard Disk Drive for storing large files - a 7200 rpm drive is a must for video editing.

Regards
Derek.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by Grayghost on topic Movie Studio Platinum 13, New Laptop

Posted 15 Apr 2015 01:15 #4
mmcswnavy24

I appreciate the information you sent to me. I am going to return to Best Buy and check on the necessary improvements needed to enhance the particular laptop I am interested in buying. Unfortunately my budget restraints may not allow me to make the necessary improvements or select another more expensive laptop that meets your suggestions until a later date. I have visited the websites you suggested and feel better informed about what I may need to do in the future. At your convenience, could you please clarify what you meant when you referred to "mechanical ok here" when referencing the hard drive in your initial response. Thank yo for the time you are extending to me.

Grayghost

Replied by Grayghost on topic Movie Studio Platinum 13, New Laptop

Posted 15 Apr 2015 01:25 #5
Dr. Zen

Appreciate your suggestions as well. Budget restraints may cause me to work slowly at first but with knowledge that I can improve my system at a later date. Will do some more research on laptop before I make my purchase. Looking forward to the tutorials available and thank you for making the site available to people such as myself.

Grayghost
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Movie Studio Platinum 13, New Laptop

Posted 15 Apr 2015 06:08 #6
For the "mechanical o.k. here", I was referring to it being the "secondary" drive in the laptop, as it will undoubtedly be used for all your media storage, documents, games, etc. If you are not able to get two drives, and can only afford one, then your best option would be to get one of Seagate new SSHD drives, which is a mechanical drive with some "faster" cache that will "learn" over time to help put some of the files used more frequently "shall we say, up front" on the drive. So, best case scenario would be a SSD for the OS/Programs and such, along with a hard drive for all your files. If not, only you can determine how much space you need for your files, though getting a really large SSD for a laptop may be a stretch. So, that would leave one of the Seagate SSHD drives if that is all you can afford.
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.296 seconds