VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Using External Drive To Increase Screen Capture Speed

Using External Drive To Increase Screen Capture Speed was created by Sir Duncan

Posted 20 May 2015 06:20 #1
I would like to open this topic by thanking Derek for his amazing work here, and for hosting this very useful site - you have my sincere gratitude.

Additionally, I would like to also thank everyone in advance for reading my post.

I am seeking information regarding the best option for me - I am looking at the purchase of an external hard drive to assist me with rendering video. I record gameplay and have read that recording to an external hard drive will allow me to almost double my FPS, freeing up my processors.

If anyone has any advice as to what my best option would be, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. I can offer you my computer specs if this helps.

I appreciate your time, and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Sir Duncan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Using External Drive To Increase Screen Capture Speed

Posted 20 May 2015 18:56 #2
I haven't heard that one before, about external hard drives being faster for screen recording. There are a lot more variables to consider.

Here is what I do know.
1. On a Windows PC, most external hard drives are connected via USB 2.0 or USB 3.0
USB 2.0 is way too slow and will actually be worse for you. So if you were going to use an external hard drive, you must connect via USB 3.0 (blue connectors) to get decent speed. If you bought a really modern computer, there is an even better connection to use which is Thunderbolt. However external drives that have Thunderbolt connections are not cheap. You also need to make sure your external hard drive is running at 7200rpm and not 5400rpm.

2. SSD Solid State Drives are faster than recording to Hard Drives - much faster.
So if you are using a Desktop computer and have spare SATA connections, installing a SSD using Sata3 connection is the best option.

3. Connecting two Hard Drives internally using a RAID configuration will give you fast recording ability.

4. Build a new computer and use the brand new M.2 protocol or PCIE connections, and connect and SSD that way - this is now the fastest drive you can use on any computer system.

To get more information on this topic, I suggest you check out the Linus Tech Tips Forum.
There are plenty of big brains hanging out on that forum.
linustechtips.com/main/

Linus just posted a new video which explains some of the newest tech you can get, which is related to your question.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:16 Jul 2015 18:40 by DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.829 seconds