VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Best microphone for voice overs?

Best microphone for voice overs? was created by layarion.

Posted 02 Nov 2016 09:41 #1
Hi, i have been enjoying the art of making how-to video's and other Youtube things. So far, i've only made how-to vids, and while i started out by avoiding the use of voice overs because i originally felt they were harder to edit in and use than just throwing some text on the screen (depends on the editor)

i realized youtubers like voice overs so i'm started learning. I have a turtlebeach x12 headset and a Blue Snowball ICE microphone with a homemade popfilter.

i actually use both for my voice-overs but recently i've been using the headset more. I've been using the headset because the blue snowball requires me to wait for everyone to be alseep and for all possible sounds to be turned off and that i get on my laptop and move away from my computer tower because of the fan noise.

while i've donethis and it gave me impressive low levevl ambient sounds in my non-studio environment it's ultimately a major pain in the ass.

1)it limits my time frame, i must wait for everyone to be asleep
2)because i can hear my computer fans i haven't used the microphone for a on-the-moment recording. instead i've recorded the content, and then added the voice over later in editing.
3)it's pretty big. i don't have an arm (yet, going to purchase a 15 dollar one if i don't find a better mic setup here) which means even if issue 2 didn't bother me the microphone would not be close enough to my face - unless i leaned over and talked into the microphone...which i might do...but it would mean that i would have to stop everything i'm doing on screen (including reading the script) to talk into the microphone and i don't like that idea. but i will get that Arm if you guys don't offer a good headset solution.

That was all about the blue snowball, here is what i've learned about the x12 headset as well as what i've learned from using other gaming headsets.

1) The x12 headset, seems to do a better job of at least quieting other sources of sounds, like my kids in the background. When their shouting while i'm talking - it turns out theirs screams are actually reasonable compared to my quieter voice. in other words - if i'm not making too serious a video it doesn't ruin the take. The snowball on the other hand takes in everything quiet well, and someone like my wife talking on the phone in the other room pretty much ruins the take. Again keeping the snowball close to my face helps but it's alot harder to do that with that microphone.
2)i've learned from experimentation with other gaming headsets that the X12 actually does a great job at keeping plosives at bay. Other much more expensive headsets seem to have a serious problem with this but that's another story.
3) the x12 does sound like it has less bass than the snowball. i don't know what i myself sounds like so i can't say if the x12 or snowball is more "natural" but i'd guess the snowball would be the better choice on that department. My wife though, while listening to some clips, thinks the x12 sounds more like "me" but that is to be taken with a grain of salt.
4) i really like how easy setup with a headset is. No positioning is needed, the microphone will always sound the same (as long as it does a good job with plosives). also, my x12 can be cranked way up in gain - although i haven't done that yet.

so i come to guys, asking if their is a great headset made for voice overs. I'm not asking for a gaming headset, but something i can put on when i want to make video. a) it should sound good, natural. b) i won't appreciate any active filtering, that seems to make my voice sound natural. c)but if it doesn't pick of every sound my shirt makes or every mouse fart in the house that would be nice.

so should i just keep using the x12? or is there something better?

in this youtube video i am using the Snowball when everyone was asleep and in other-words the best possible situation i could give the microphone at my house. i didn't even need to process any of it in audacity later.

in this video i used the turtlebeach x12, which always has a loud white noise that i remove in audacity later. I may have used a hard limiter but i can't remember...i could get the original audio if you feel it's necessary. it was also during the day, with m kids and wife doing their usual crap. So not the fairest comparison between the two, but how/when/ and where i used the X12 is exactly what my everyday will look like if i decide i wanna go the headset route. so it's an accurate sample.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Best microphone for voice overs?

Posted 02 Nov 2016 11:09 #2
I am not a Gamer, so I have never used a head set.
You are better off asking that question on a gaming forum or somewhere like the Linus Tech Tips forum.

I highly recommend the Rode Podcaster with shock mount and adjustable arm.
This type of microphone is directional, so it reduces side noise from being picked up.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Dec 2016 16:08 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Best microphone for voice overs?

Posted 03 Nov 2016 05:37 #3
Hi Layarion,

I would have to concur with our Doctor Zen in his reply. Though, one thing you could try if you really want to use the headset while editing/recording voice and not have to wait, is try one of those "Mod Mics". From what I have seen, it is separate from a headset, and you attach it to the side of your headset when needed. You can search Linus Tech Tips, Tek Syndicate, JayzTwoCents, Paul's Hardware, and other YouTubers that have reviewed them. Supposedly they work really well. I can neither confirm or deny this, as I have never used one. I pretty much use a Rode Shotgun on my cameras, or a lapel mic going to my Zoom H4N recorder (or using the on board stereo mics if filming close enough).

Good Luck!

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Best microphone for voice overs?

Posted 03 Nov 2016 07:57 #4
I'm not familiar with the 'Mod Mic', but Mike's idea may just be what you need......

mmcswnavy24 wrote: .... one thing you could try if you really want to use the headset while editing/recording voice and not have to wait, is try one of those "Mod Mics". From what I have seen, it is separate from a headset, and you attach it to the side of your headset when needed.

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan

On the other hand, I also agree with Dr. Zen........

DoctorZen wrote: I highly recommend the Rode Podcaster with shock mount and adjustable arm.
This type of microphone is directional, so it reduces side noise from being picked up.

I think if you made this investment, you would never look back!!

I do very little voice-over, but when I do, it's a big mess. I have bits of this junk and bits of that junk, that I substitute to get the job done and it is always annoying. On the top of my list of audio equipment sits the 'Rode Podcaster', just waiting for the next project I have requiring any amount of voice-over and it will be mounted to my production desk!
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.740 seconds