VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved 13 install error Win 8.1

13 install error Win 8.1 was created by zifter123

Posted 25 Nov 2016 05:02 #1
Upgraded op sys from 7 to 8.1. Have to reinstall MS13. Can't get past requirement for .net 2.0? Have downloaded and installed the latest .NET from Microsoft but it still errors out on install?? Suggestions??

Bob
New to Editing ...

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by vkmast on topic 13 install error Win 8.1

Posted 25 Nov 2016 06:09 #2
While waiting for the good Doc to wake up in the Oz morn you could read this
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2011/10/02/mailbag-do-i-need-still-need-older-versions-of-the-net-framework-on-my-system-after-installing-the-net-framework-4/
And from the Movie Studio Platinum 13 release notes, system requirements:
"Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 or later
Apple® QuickTime® 7.1.6 or later for reading and writing QuickTime files
*.NET 3.5 adds functionality to .NET 2.0. After installing the .NET Framework 3.5, versions 2.0 and 3.5 will be displayed in the Windows Add or Remove Programs listing. Do not attempt to uninstall version 2.0; it is required by version 3.5.
"
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic 13 install error Win 8.1

Posted 25 Nov 2016 09:27 #3
Did you do a Clean Install of Windows 8.1 or upgrade method ?
I would recommend a full clean install of Windows 8.1, because it is the only way to remove old crap from Windows 7 properly.
Upgrade methods are messy and don't work properly from my experience.

Is there a reason why you upgraded to Windows 8.1 just now?
Most people would say Windows 7 is a better operating system than 8.1. I skipped 8.1 altogether and went from 7 to 10.
I would recommend anyone on Windows 7 who would like to update, to go directly to Windows 10 and bypass 8.1

Make sure you have run Windows Update for W 8.1 and that ALL updates have been installed.
The Movie Studio installer should have automatically installed any required .NET framework programs for you.
If you have literally just installed Windows 8.1, it may still be trying to install Microsoft updates, because there would be a HUGE amount of updates to install, due to this Operating System being so old now. Only after making sure all Windows updates were installed, should you begin installing programs. If you started installing programs before Windows update was complete, this may have caused the problem.

What I actually think may be your best idea is this:
1. Make sure Windows is up to date.
2. Un-install ALL your Sony programs and do a clean install from scratch. I have instructions for a clean install here.
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/569-clean-install-sony-vegas-windows-8
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by zifter123 on topic 13 install error Win 8.1

Posted 26 Nov 2016 07:32 #4
Thanks for your help. Finally got the programs to install. Will give more info on the whole issue in the DRZ post below.

Again, appreciate your help.

Bob
New to Editing ...

Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

Replied by zifter123 on topic 13 install error Win 8.1

Posted 26 Nov 2016 12:18 #5
Clean Install (?): I had not done an upgrade for years. After loading the disk and installing I found that all my programs were gone. Therefore = Clean Install (with all data files intact … thank GOD).

Reason 8.1:
I work in a university environment and asked IT (technical support) for recommendations. They are not impressed with 10 and recommended 8.1.

I was concerned that some programs, drivers, software, etc. etc. would not be compatible with 10 and did not want the hassle/fight. I tried a “compatibility” test when 10 first came out and it failed.

I wanted off 7 because of Microsoft killing support. Also concerned that support for MovieStudio relative to 7 would be gone.

Didn’t want to take the chance that 10 would require more computer resources. I’ve been in this game for many years and saw new op systems “die” on existing hardware.

All Updates:

I’m assuming that they are all there. Auto update is enabled and I let it run for 24 hrs. It shows one major update that was installed.

The Problem and the FIX:

MovieStudio install attempted to install .NET but the message came back “corrupted file”.

I loaded the latest .NET from Microsoft. Not good enough .. it needed .20 version. Attempted multiple times to get version .2 from the Web. All failed for one reason or another. In my Google searching I found out that there is a “local’ install available from the Microsoft Upgrade media. I required a huge command prompt entry to play the game. Also, found out that 3.5 net is what you want because it includes 2.0.

Finally found a site that had developed a simple program (freeware) to do the command line entry. See below:

Product: Microsoft .NET Framework Offline Installer for Windows 8
Version: 2.0.0.0
Requirements: Windows 8
Author: J.C.P Laboratory (Cedric Poottaren)
Publisher: AskVG.com

Description:
A tool that allows you to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Offline in Windows 8.

More Info:
www.askvg.com/download-microsoft-net-framework-3-5-offline-installer-for-windows-8/

Lisence:
This application is freeware and can only be distribured as is. If you paid for this app, ask for a refund.

Don't forget to visit AskVG.com.

Copyright © 2013 J.C.P Laboratory Software. All rights reserved.

www.AskVG.com/

Long story short… it worked!! Was then able to load and fire off all of the MS apps!

I appreciate your help and quick response. I believe I am ok now.

THANK YOU

Bob
New to Editing ...

Bob
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

Replied by DoctorZen on topic 13 install error Win 8.1

Posted 26 Nov 2016 17:06 #6
Hi Bob

Thanks for the detailed reply and explanation :)
Now I understand where you are coming from.

I have never heard of anyone else with the .NET problem before, so it is quite unusual to hear what happened to you.
Thanks for posting the solution, as I'm sure this will help someone else in the future with the same problem.

If you had a new computer, I would not hesitate to recommend Windows 10.
I have been on Windows 10 for 18 months now, and it works really well with older Sony programs and newer versions.

If your computer is much older, that is when some people may experience problems with Windows 10, due to Hardware/Driver compatibility problems.
So I can now understand why you have moved to Windows 8.1

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Dec 2016 16:01 by DoctorZen

Replied by vkmast on topic 13 install error Win 8.1

Posted 26 Nov 2016 21:06 #7
Besides the MSP 13 release notes and the blogs link, related info from the old SCS KB
www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4840/~/installation-errors
www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5098/~/troubleshooting-crashing (9th point)
Last Edit:26 Nov 2016 21:24 by vkmast

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.764 seconds