VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Shutter speed and editing

• Peter
  • Peter's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 90

Shutter speed and editing was created by Peter

Posted 08 Jul 2014 11:52 #1
OK Derek,

He is how my mind works – don’t laugh!
Shutter speed:
Rule of 180 degrees and effect of shutter speed on video is understood – but have this question-

If a video is shot at 60 fps with a shutter speed of 1/120 – effectively the sensor is exposed for 50% of its 1/60th of a second cycle.
Now – if the video is edited down to 30fps-
1. Does that mean 1 frame out of every two is removed / deleted?

If so, then to my logical:

The effect of the shutter speed on the edited video remains effectively at 1/120 – but now for a frame rate of 30fps.
Therefore the % period is 1/120 of 1/30th of a second
Result being the sensor is now effectively exposed only 25% of the time.

This would result in the same effect as having shot the original video of 60fps at 1/240 – judders!

So, if a person knows beforehand that video shot at 60fps is going to be edited down to 30fps – what is the best shutter rate to shoot the original video.

There – can’t make is clearer without writing an essay – hope you can follow and are willing to advise.
by Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Shutter speed and editing

Posted 08 Jul 2014 23:32 #2
Hello Peter

I kind of understand your theory and what you are getting at.
However, I have never heard of any film maker basing there shutter speed on the fact that there 60fps source video is going to be rendered to 30fps.
I don't personally think that would ever be a consideration (but I could be wrong).
The only consideration on the day of filming is Subject Matter and what is the best way to capture it.
So if the subject is going to be moving extremely fast, then a much higher Shutter Speed is going to be set - end of story.

If you want to take this any further, you need to ask the right person.
I suggest you try the folks at Creative Cow Sony Vegas Forum - most of these guys are industry professionals.
Creative Cow Vegas Pro Forum

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:25 Sep 2014 00:10 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

• Peter
  • Peter's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 90

Replied by Peter on topic Shutter speed and editing

Posted 10 Jul 2014 10:41 #3
Thanks Derek,

I agree that attempting to register in the best manner possible the material in front of the lens is a basic requirement.
But, also, there is a reduced point in putting effort into that procedure if the end result (the item projected to the viewing public, whom ever that maybe) is compromised. If that public are requiring that 30fps is the mode - then that also is required to be taken into account. Hence my point about shutter speed.

I recognise your advice - but not being stressed out over the topic, I shall let it rest there (and then will partake in my own trials and observations!)
Thanks for the time to reply,
Again regards,

Peter
by Peter

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.817 seconds