Solved Making a DVD!

• Thank you received: 1

Making a DVD! was created by davidb0417

Derek or anyone out there...I am trying to make a simple DVD, no menus, no nothing...just a presentation a friend gave for my son's school.
When I click MAKE MOVIE > BURN TO DVD >select DVD (no menus) > OK, I get this message "THE ESTIMATED FILE SIZE IS TOO LARGE TO FIT ON THE DISC. DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE ANYWAY?"

Here is how I got to this point of frustration;
1) My friend gave me his video files in AVCHD. For this particular presentation, there are 4 video files which are @ 4 GB's each (16 GB's total)
2) I converted them to MP4's with a preset to "DVD QUALITY" (didn't use any custom presets) which brought them down to right under 1/2 GB (.440 GB) each. I used FREEMAKE VIDEO CONVERTER
3)Doing the math, the 4 videos are now @ 1.736 GB's total
4) Then, burning to DVD, a pop-up screen tells me the file size is too large to fit the disc. I am using a 4.7 GB DVD-R blank DVD.
5) It's telling me the estimated size is 7.48 GB's, when the total should be at what I said in #3 above.

Someone please help...Thanks David B.
Movie Studio Platinum 12 Suite
Canon Rebel T4i
Zoom H4n
12 Sep 2014 06:23 #1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1292

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Making a DVD!

Hi David

OK
First thing: You do not have to convert your videos before importing them into Movie Studio/Vegas Pro.
Doing this is actually going to reduce the quality of your final product, because you are rendering the video twice.
Movie Studio can natively handle AVCHD video files quite OK.
You cannot compare the file sizes of videos that are using different codecs/formats - it does not work that way.
A 10 minutes video using AVCHD is going to be a different file size to a 10 minute video encoded to MPEG2 for Video.

When you make DVDs, the first and most important thing to look at is the TOTAL length in time for the entire project.
At this stage, completely forget about file sizes - they don't mean anything yet.
A 4.7 GB DVD can hold about 60 to 90 minutes of high quality MPEG2 video.
A 8.5 GB DVD can hold about 100 to 140 minutes of high quality MPEG2 video.

In your situation, you have two options:
Buy some 8.5 GB Dual Layer DVDs and use these instead
OR
Learn how to compress a long video using Custom Bit Rates - this is what I do all the time.

I already have a tutorial which explains what to do.
It may seem like a lot of extra work, but once you understand how the process works it is quite easy to do.
Using an App, you can calculate Custom Bit Rates which will reduce the file size of the video so that it fits neatly on a 4.7 GB DVD.
Read/watch this:
How to Compress and Fit a Long Video onto a DVD

This is your new workflow.
1. Import AVCHD video and edit project.
2. Enter total length in time for the project into the Bit Rate calculator.
3. Render Video and Audio.
4. Import Video into DVD Architect and burn disc.

What is the total time for your project ?

Regards
Derek.
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidb0417
12 Sep 2014 14:29 #2

Replied by davidb0417 on topic Making a DVD!

Hi Derek...Thanks for your reply & info. I followed everything in your tutorial & finally my 1 hr. & 27 min. video fit on my 4.7 GB disc. I still have one issue though & I think I know what it is (but maybe you have some advice). The video looks shaky or it seems to vibrate. It's not due to camera shake...the video was shot from a tripod. Like I said before, the video was shot in AVCHD & I converted it to MP4 in order to shrink the size. Then thinking this was the best thing to do, I only kept the MP4 files on my laptop & gave back the SD card to my friend. I'm going to ask for it back & then re-do this all over using the original AVCHD files. What do you think?

Thanks...David B.
Canon Rebel T4i
Zoom H4n
14 Sep 2014 05:05 #3

• Thank you received: 1292

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Making a DVD!

I don't know what would be causing shake.
Re-encoding to the wrong frame rate may cause this.
I would have to see it for myself to make an educated response.
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
14 Sep 2014 15:06 #4

• Thank you received: 31

Replied by kiwihans on topic Making a DVD!

I had the same "shaking" problem myself today. I had a movie clip which only ran for about 15 mins., so I decided to render this at CBR (constant bit rate). When I viewed the rendered clip (as an MPEG2) fast action had this shaking problem.

I decided to render the clip again but this time at VBR (variable bit rate) this took care of the action sequences in the clip resulting in smooth playback....
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidb0417
17 Sep 2014 17:47 #5

Replied by davidb0417 on topic Making a DVD!

OK guys...I figured out what was wrong. When in DVD Architect & asked if you want to make a menu-based DVD or just a single movie (plus 2 other options), I chose menu-based & I think my 1 1/2 hour DVD was too much for the opening menu or something. Derek...I rendered everything in the original AVCHD file format & it came out good. @kiwihands...I had already chosen VBR because thats what Derek said to do in his tuturial. Thanks for the help though.
Canon Rebel T4i
Zoom H4n
19 Sep 2014 05:58 #6

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2019 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.