VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved video capture

• krtlrt@comcast.net
  • krtlrt@comcast.net's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0

video capture was created by krtlrt@comcast.net

Posted 25 Jan 2015 07:10 #1
Hi folks! Larry here. First time forum user.
Lately I use Movie Studio to make DVDs of Seahawks games; without the commercials. I've tried using the M.S. Video Capture software but get an error message: 'Conexant Polaris Video Capture' could not be opened. When I capture (externally) using Diamond VC500 the video quality is poor. I record the games on my TIVO; then hook the TIVO to the VC500 and capture using the EZ Grabber software. I've tried saving, using different extensions (.AVI .MPG .WMV) but they seem to be about the same. Any help, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!
by krtlrt@comcast.net

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic video capture

Posted 25 Jan 2015 18:14 #2
Hi Larry

What type of TV are you recording with ?
Is it a modern HD 1080p flat screen or "old style" Standard Definition glass tube TV ?

You cannot capture video from a USB device using Movie Studio Platinum.
The Video Capture app that comes with MSP, is only for capturing video from DV or HDV Tape that has been recorded with a video camera that records to Digital Tape.

I am not familiar with Diamond Multimedia products.
I have just looked up the specifications for the Diamond VC500.
It appears that this device can only capture Standard Definition video, which is why the quality seems so poor compared to watching on a HD TV. This device is more aimed at people wanting to transfer old video from old devices like analog cameras and VCRs. It can only capture a maximum resolution of 720x480, instead of 1920x1080 HD.

Looking at all of Diamonds products, they do sell a HD capture device called GC1000. This device is capable of recording to full HD specs.
www.diamondmm.com/gc1000-diamond-usb-game-console-video-capture-device.html
There are a large number of video capture devices on the market. Another brand is Hauppauge www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods_hd-recorders.html

Once you have captured your video with an HD capture device, you can then import easily into Movie Studio and do your edits.
Please note that all DVDs only produce Standard Definition video. If you want to save full HD video to a disc, you need to make Blu-ray discs instead.
There is a small paradox to what I have just said. Generally speaking, if you start with full HD video and then burn it to a Standard Definition DVD, the quality should look a little better than if you had started with only SD Video in the first place.

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:31 Jan 2015 00:19 by DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.743 seconds