VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Project is too long

Project is too long was created by John, new to editing

Posted 28 Apr 2016 10:56 #1
Project I edited using Movie Studio HD 11 platinum production suite (recently installed on new computer) is too long for single layer Blu Ray disc (2 hrs 18 min). How do I split the project into 2 Blu Rays without re editing the 2nd half. I hope this is enough info! Also, I am not a computer person since I still use records and cassette tapes.

Started watching Derek's videos and I like the way he takes time to explain things on the videos without getting too technical!

If someone can assist (again, I'm not computer savvy) I would appreciate it,
Thanks,
John, new to editing
Last Edit:23 May 2016 21:08 by John, new to editing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vidchick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Project is too long

Posted 01 May 2016 01:38 #2
Hi John, and Welcome to the forums.

Can you explain how you rendered your 2 hour 18 minute video? Which steps you took? And, do you have the DVD Architect program? Having this basic info may help me or other members help. Thank You.
Best Regards......George

Posted 02 May 2016 02:50 #3
Hi John,

Another question, actually the most important....what file size is your 2 hour 18 minute video. Depending on what your subject matter is (interview, action sports, etc.) and the steps you have taken to render your video, it may be possible to get your entire video file on one disc.

I understand you are new to this. Please keep in mind, there are no stupid questions. The more questions asked, the more answers may be provided and the more we all learn. Basic, advanced, or just starting users, we all like to learn.
Best Regards......George

Replied by John, new to editing on topic Project is too long

Posted 05 May 2016 08:08 #4
Thank you for getting back to me! This is the first time I've ever been on a forum and I am totally new to this!!

I will try to answer both of your questions...

I have a Canon HV 40 that uses the mini tapes. I captured the video from both of the tapes and then combined them in the tracks of the program. Since the total time was under the 150 minutes (that number was from Windows DVD Maker), I thought I had enough space on a Blu Ray disc for the project. I was wrong! I never gave a thought to Gigabytes. The total (after I looked) was well over 55 GB's.

Update...

As of today (Wednesday May 4) I reedited the video for 2 Blu Rays. I deleted about half from the project and then reloaded them under a different name. I do have the Architect program but have not used it yet! I'm just learning the basics (thanks to Derek's videos) so it will take me some time to learn. Hey, I have a 8 track recorder yet!!!! I'm sure the Architect program will help me through and if you have any helpful hints, it is appreciated!!

Thank you again for the help and more then likely I'll have more questions as time goes on. Just let me know if you received this and if I'm doing it right. Derek was kind enough to let me know that I was not responding using the correct procedure! I'm still learning !!!

John, new to editing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six, Vidchick

Posted 05 May 2016 11:09 #5
Hi John,

First, yes, we have received your response, which means yes, you are doing it correctly.

Second, you found your own solution to your immediate problem, that is good. I know you didn't want to have to rerender your project, but that might have been the best, cleanest option, for the time being.

I have a few more questions, if you have the time.....

In Movie Studio HD 11 Platinum, to render your project are you using 'Make Movie', then 'Burn it to DVD or Blu-ray Disc', then 'Blu-ray Disc'? Or, are you using 'Project', then 'Render As...', then selecting an 'Output Format' and 'Template'? Or, are you rendering a file then putting that file in ' Windows DVD Maker' to burn the Bluray disc? Or, a different way?

There are several methods we can use to burn disc. Some are easy and rather restrictive, taking the complications out of the procedure. Others, are more involved as they offer additional options. We can use just Movie Studio to render and burn the disc, or Movie Studio to render and DVD Architect to burn the disc, or Movie Studio to render and some other Bluray authoring tools/program to actually burn the disc. And, I'm sure there are other options.

I agree with your opinion of Derek's tutorials, I also find them easy to follow and packed with great information. I also like his calm voice, pace of his instructions, and his overall demeanor.

If you haven't already, I think a good tutorial to start with would be: How To Render Video for DVD/Bluray with Menus

The next may also explain more and offer some additional options: How to Render Video for Bluray Disc Using Movie Studio Platinum 12

Again, welcome to the forums and keep the questions coming whenever you need help, or would like to share with others.
Best Regards......George

Replied by John, new to editing on topic Project is too long

Posted 05 May 2016 11:27 #6
Eagle 6,

Thanks for responding! Yes, went to "Make Movie" then "Burn to Blu Ray", then render and burn. I will watch those clips you suggested! I'm sure those videos provide a wealth of info that the "Show Me" never discuss!

Thank you again for your assistance,

John, new to editing

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.719 seconds