VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved DVD rip

DVD rip was created by davidb0417

Posted 23 May 2016 08:17 #1
Just wanna rip a DVD to my computer. What is the best free program I can use for this? Thanks.
Movie Studio Platinum 12 Suite
Canon Rebel T4i
Zoom H4n
Last Edit:23 May 2016 21:07 by davidb0417

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic DVD rip

Posted 23 May 2016 09:19 #2
Hi David,

Of course there are many. I haven't ripped a DVD/CD in many, many years. If I did now I would probably use Handbrake, as I use this program for encoding videos to post on YouTube, and I have it onhand.

I'm sure other members who rip DVD's and have more experience many suggest some other options.
Best Regards......George

Replied by davidb0417 on topic DVD rip

Posted 23 May 2016 09:26 #3
Thanks George!
Canon Rebel T4i
Zoom H4n

Replied by vkmast on topic DVD rip

Posted 23 May 2016 19:03 #4
And of course we rip any copyrighted dvds and cds only to keep a backup and maybe stream over our network.
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Posted 24 May 2016 02:50 #5

davidb0417 wrote: Just wanna rip a DVD to my computer. What is the best free program I can use for this? Thanks.

David, on another thought, if your intent is to rip a DVD and then edit it, you know you can import the DVD media directly into SMS12p with 'Project' > 'Import DVD Camcorder disc...'
Best Regards......George

Posted 24 May 2016 02:54 #6
Yeah, this is nothing copyrighted, just a recorded testimony of an individual.
Canon Rebel T4i
Zoom H4n

Posted 24 May 2016 02:56 #7
This is what I was looking for. It's just been so long, I couldn't remember the flow. I'll do this next time since I've already did it with Handbrake like you suggested. Thanks for your quick reply's & follow-ups.
Canon Rebel T4i
Zoom H4n

Posted 24 May 2016 03:04 #8
Sorry I didn't reply with that in the first reply David, for some reason it didn't click for me what you might being asking for. At any rate, you now have two resources. Good Luck with your project.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidb0417

Replied by vkmast on topic DVD rip

Posted 24 May 2016 04:09 #9
If you need to edit in MS Platinum 12 or 13, some users prefer to use the undocumented feature in Vegas Pro/Movie Studio Platinum later versions "discovered" by Gary James a few years ago, sometimes called "Drag the IFO file into the timeline method".
"Vegas allows you to open up a DVD .IFO file. This imports the entire .VOB chain for both video and audio tracks.
First: Import the entire DVD onto your hard drive.
Click File (Project in MSP) / Open, then navigate to your VIDEO_TS sub directory and enter *.IFO in the File name input field or change to All Files (*.*), which is uppermost in the list. For a regular DVD you will see a VIDEO_TS.IFO, and a VTS_01_0.IFO. Select the VTS_01_0.IFO file and click on Open."
In other words, Project / Open > xxxdvd > video_ts : File name: *.ifo or All Files (*.*) will show the .ifo files or all files.
It will appear as a single event, with yellow lines marking the chapters.

The "Import DVD camcorder disc" function does not properly join the breaks between VOB files. You can get a slight glitch and missing audio.

Btw, it's odd that some of the restrictions mentioned in the recent SCS KB article VOB file support do not agree with what I have experienced.
Last Edit:24 May 2016 04:31 by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Posted 24 May 2016 04:17 #10
Thank You vkmast,

A very valuable procedure I was not aware of. I'll put that in my procedural notes.
Best Regards......George

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.111 seconds